Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Renee B Kidd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Renee B Kidd »

I married someone who doesn't read. We have other things that we enjoy talking about. We don't have to live in each other's back pocket. I read he watches TV. It works.
barbpond1970
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by barbpond1970 »

My husband hates to read and it's fine with me. He never has liked to really read anyhow and he doesn't get upset when I always have my nose in a book. It works for us!
Lizzy_R
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzy-r.html

Post by Lizzy_R »

Of course I would date someone who doesn't read book's. Reading has nothing to do with the way you feel for someone
VividReader
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=86758">A Court of Mist and Fury</a>
Currently Reading: Clockwork Prince
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vividreader.html

Post by VividReader »

Probably not. If I do he must be Amazing :lol: :lol:
Thumpalina

Post by Thumpalina »

certainly, we don't have to have the same hobbies.
SweetAngel16
Currently Reading: Post-mortem

Post by SweetAngel16 »

I believe I could because a relationship isn't based on what the other one does. To me a relationship is based on what you feel for each other not what you do. You can learn from each other by doing different things. I love to read but hardly have time to because of work and responsibilities that need to be addressed first but read in my spare time. My husband is supportive though. When he sees me reading he asks me how it is and what I'm reading. He suggested the book I'm reading now and so far it's actually pretty good.
Arnetthlm

Post by Arnetthlm »

One cannot imagine every person or situation. Suppose the other person had had life experiences about what I had only read? Should we assume that the other's experiential intelligence would be inferior to my book learning? Suppose we didn't speak the same language but shared music or painting or gardening?
pinstar
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts (Unpublished Old Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by pinstar »

I think I could...it would suck not being able to discuss books we've both read but otherwise i could.
herc_72
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=7309">On the Road</a>
Currently Reading: The $100 Startup
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by herc_72 »

No if she doesn't read at all.
love akpan

Post by love akpan »

no i cnt do dat...reading is like a part Of life n u learn new Thing every passing day tru readin
poetrythanki
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrythanki.html
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens

Post by poetrythanki »

As long as he doesn't comment about my addiction for books, is okay with it, and hears me fangirl over stories I'm reading, I'm fine. However, I want him to be in love with books as much as I am.
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens
kaushi242
Currently Reading: Hands Across The Sea
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by kaushi242 »

I can say Yes because I am currently dating a person who does not read much.
Thestruggleisrea1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thestruggleisrea1.html

Post by Thestruggleisrea1 »

Yes, I believe it's ok for two people to have separate hobbies sometimes. Reading helps me escape from time to time into something exciting. My partner may find that escape by doing something else, such as getting outside. Wha t matters in the end is that we keep coming back to each other.
Ithinkabouttime
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ithinkabouttime.html

Post by Ithinkabouttime »

If ever I found myself in the position of dating again, I'd use the question "What are you reading right now?" as a weeding-out question. Choosing not to read is a deal breaker.
madiglancy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Change</a>
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madiglancy.html

Post by madiglancy »

I am getting married to a guy who doesnt read books or pretty much anything. He works all the time and doesnt have time, plus that was never big in his family growing up. I always had a book when I was younger. He understands when Im into a really good book to not bug me and hes fine with that.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”