Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
annabear3
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Wild-Cheryl Strayed
Currently Reading: A Little F'd Up: Why feminism is not a dirty word
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabear3.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by annabear3 »

I couldn't date someone who didn't read. They wouldn't understand me, they wouldn't get why I love reading, or why a book sometimes makes me cry. From my own personal experience with people who don't read I have reached the conclusion that those who don't read are the most ignorant people in the world. I hate ignorance. I hate it more than the way people chew their food. I especially hate when people choose to be ignorant. If someone doesn't read, chances are they're filled with ignorance.
reticentsorrow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by reticentsorrow »

I have dated someone who didn't read. He was dyslexic and felt uncomfortable reading. It was something we had to work around.
Uthar902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uthar902.html

Post by Uthar902 »

I am currently dating someone who does not read but that simply because he has dyslexia and it is really difficult for him to concentrate while reading. I m perfectly fine however. If I want him to know a book I m just gonna read it to him
JiJunga

Post by JiJunga »

It wouldn't bother me at all. I wouldn't judge anyone or base an entire relationship on somebody's reading habits. Personality, I think, is more important, and it depends on whether you like/love someone as a whole, not just whether they read or not. There are so many other factors like physical attraction, desire, past experiences etc...
So what if you can't relate to somebody about the latest book you've read, there are other things to talk about and bond over.
I don't think it's fair to judge an individual on something like that.

-- 20 Apr 2014, 18:20 --
annabear3 wrote:I couldn't date someone who didn't read. They wouldn't understand me, they wouldn't get why I love reading, or why a book sometimes makes me cry. From my own personal experience with people who don't read I have reached the conclusion that those who don't read are the most ignorant people in the world. I hate ignorance. I hate it more than the way people chew their food. I especially hate when people choose to be ignorant. If someone doesn't read, chances are they're filled with ignorance.

Isn't that a pretty harsh stereotype to label people with?
There are countless reasons for why people don't read, it does in no way mean they are ignorant. Sure some people are like you say, people who choose to be ignorant, but the amount an individual reads is an extremely insubstantial and inaccurate way of measuring somebodies overall intelligence or level of ignorance.
It's wonderful that literature has such a great influence on your life, and that you love to read, but making such a disparaging generalisation on those who don't is harsh and unfair and ignorant.
valerie_oliva
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-oliva.html

Post by valerie_oliva »

When I met my husband we would read together all the time. We'd even read the same book out loud together! Boy was that an act! He never reads now and it sometimes annoys me that he only read with me to 'reel me in', but as long as he's not bothered by my reading, i'm not worried about his 'nonreading self' haha
NTerpening
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nterpening.html

Post by NTerpening »

I actually tried this not too long ago, and it was hard. It's one of the major reasons we broke up. I'm one of those readers who appreciates discussing my books, but anytime I tried to bring up my current reading with him, he would just sigh and try to change the topic or worse try to make fun of me for my desire to learn. I may have fallen prey to bullies for the "nerd" line when I was a child, but I don't anymore. Even when I just stopped trying to discuss my reading with him, it was awful. He was always complaining about how he was bored and how the television programs were rubbish, and I just wanted to scream at him to pick up a book! I don't think I could ever put myself through that again.
LillyLovesLit_

Post by LillyLovesLit_ »

I think I probably could, wait no. Wait yes. It depends what attraction there is... I may be able to I suppose.
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

I think I would have a problem dating someone who doesn't or chooses not to read. I have always been an avid reader and I have to have books around me at almost every moment in case I have time to read. I would feel weird if the person I date does not understand that part of me and want to change it. I also would not want him to feel that books are my first love and he is my second. So basically, I need to find a happy medium when the person I date at least likes to read and does not mind my weird habit.
Superman747
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superman747.html

Post by Superman747 »

I probably could.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

Only if he has a Jeep and really likes rattlesnakes. I know. Sounds nuts. But when I'm not reading, I'm generally photographing rattlesnakes. I can be with a guy who doesn't share all my interests, but not with one who doesn't share any. I can read while he's watching the game, and then we can go out on the den and film us some rattleys together. :mrgreen:

Of course, I suppose if I were to be totally honest, my real answer would be, "I don't know. Does Aidan Turner read?" :oops:
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
BrennySue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brennysue.html

Post by BrennySue »

I married someone who never read, and no, it always bothered me. I have been an avid reader from such a young age, it just perplexes me that someone would not enjoy reading. Actually it kind of gives me the creeps. I have to laugh about that, but it honestly does.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I'm currently dating someone who doesn't read, and I often question her about it. I just...why wouldn't you? I don't mind it too much, I just don't understand it. Ah well. To each their own.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

annabear3 wrote:I couldn't date someone who didn't read. They wouldn't understand me, they wouldn't get why I love reading, or why a book sometimes makes me cry. From my own personal experience with people who don't read I have reached the conclusion that those who don't read are the most ignorant people in the world. I hate ignorance. I hate it more than the way people chew their food. I especially hate when people choose to be ignorant. If someone doesn't read, chances are they're filled with ignorance.
Just a tad hypocritical, don't you think :?

I think a sign of ignorance and immaturity is a lack of understanding and respect for other people who do things differently to yourself.
AddisoMLeo

Post by AddisoMLeo »

I feel like I could, but I'd maybe have to tone it down a bit? Like, the last guy I dated was only a manga/comic book reader and sometimes the occasional Rick Riordan reader... Eventually I got him to start the Harry Potter series, "The Fault in Our Stars"...
kate_grace
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-grace.html

Post by kate_grace »

Personally, dating someone who doesn't read is super hard for me. I love being able to recommend books and to discuss them with my special someone. There's no better feeling than sharing a love of reading and books. I also think that if your significant other does not read, than if the relationship progresses into more and you end up having children together, then one parent will be wanting to encourage reading, while the other, most likely, does not encourage indulging in a good book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”