Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by lorenicole »

I am actually married to someone who doesn't read much. He reads articles in Dairy magazines and he read spec on tractors and machinery but not books. He understands that I love reading and has known about my passion since I was 9. He still shakes his head at me when I get into a book but knows better than to tell me to quit for fear of getting hit with a hardcover. I did that to him when I was in middle school with a textbook that I was studying from on the school bus!
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

lorenicole wrote:I am actually married to someone who doesn't read much. He reads articles in Dairy magazines and he read spec on tractors and machinery but not books. He understands that I love reading and has known about my passion since I was 9. He still shakes his head at me when I get into a book but knows better than to tell me to quit for fear of getting hit with a hardcover. I did that to him when I was in middle school with a textbook that I was studying from on the school bus!
Hilarious! Enjoyed reading your post :lol:
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
cortney2322
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cortney2322 »

I have in the past but my boyfriend now loves too. We spend lots of time just sitting on the beach with a great book and I love it. So much better to enjoy time together doing something you both love. And it's always a bonus when they are just as excited to hear about your book as you are to tell them about it!
SammieWonder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiewonder.html

Post by SammieWonder »

It's difficult for me to find a balance.

The last fella I dated was obsessed with books. I think he used it as a coping mechanism and it was very unhealthy. There's a lot of backstory here, but I'm choosing to save you all from it...lol

He also wanted us to read aloud to each other but he would overdramatize inflection or accents and, as an actor, it would just piss me off.

I do know that I prefer someone who reads and am immediately turned off by statements like "I hate to read", etc.
jmeza10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmeza10.html

Post by jmeza10 »

I'm not really sure. I have tons of friends who don't read as i do, but they are so knowledgeable about things that we talk about that i don't really think about it. I think that as long as they are passionate about whatever that they like i would be okay with it, and that they don't mind that i like to read.
“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power" — David Brin
admiretejan

Post by admiretejan »

I'm engaged to a man who's to busy working to sit down and actually read a book. actually we are complete opposite but it works. and I wouldn't give him up for the world
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I'm married to a writer. He's got somewhat the same taste in literature as I do but he's not much of a reader. He spends more time on his researches.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

My husband is not a reader at all. I go through an average of 20 books a month. It has been a bit of contention in our relationship because any time we have moved, well, my books go with us. He has started opening up a little bit more recently, and he will ask what I'm reading and to tell him about the book. He hasn't progressed to actually reading them yet, but the fact that he is interested is a huge milestone.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
TextOfLex
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-textoflex.html

Post by TextOfLex »

Honestly, I dated a few guys that didn't read and it bothered me. Here I am with overflowing bookshelves and endless knowledge about worlds that don't exist except on paper (and in imaginations) and they have no idea what I was talking about.

Reading was a deal breaker for me. Lucky for me my husband introduced me to The Game of Thrones (book not TV) on our first date. Now that is a way to win a girl over!
nitalabrod

Post by nitalabrod »

thanks for your good sharing.keep it up
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

I have friends who don't read as much as I do and I have attempted to date people who don't read much BUT I really need people in my life frequently to understand that whether or not they read, I see reading as important. So someone who belittles reading or constantly interrupts unnecessarily, I see as not respecting my feelings. I need my alone time to be happy, time to not interact. And I can be alone while sitting right next to you if you let me read in peace. I definitely cannot live with someone who can't do their own thing (whether that's reading or gaming or other hobby) while I read. I can't deal with someone who needs constant attention.
edgewoman

Post by edgewoman »

Do you mean just read books? Because I read books all the time, but rarely news or commentary. The man I have been dating for two years reads tons of news. I say he "never reads anything," and he is always talking about the news and saying "don't you read?" when I have a blank look on my face. I bet we read the same amount every day, but it's different.
Music_lover471
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-music-lover471.html

Post by Music_lover471 »

Honestly, I'd be glad to have anyone date me. But for reals, I would be fine with it because everyone has their own hobbies and passions. I don't think that it is that big of a deal breaker. They may have different interests, and that's ok! That's why you date a different person, to get to know them. If they did everything you did then it would be like dating yourself, and I wouldn't want to date myself. I've spent enough time getting to know myself, I'd like a change of pace. I come from a family that doesn't read, so I guess I'm kind of used to people not understanding my reading obsession, and I have plenty of friends that read. I'd be fine with a boyfriend that doesn't read.
justtheone23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justtheone23.html

Post by justtheone23 »

I think that as long as you have other interests in common dating someone who reads should not matter. I am personally dating a guy who does not like to read books. While I don't understand how someone doesn't like to read, I understand that everyone is different. We have so much else in common that we never have a lack of things to talk about. It works out really well for us.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I don't think I have any room to be picky about the person I date... I'm not that likable, so anyone who can tolerate me works just fine... :(

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”