Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
verg70
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verg70.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by verg70 »

I did and while it wasn't what ended the relationship, there was always the 'why do you have so many books?' question :(
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Zeiyuka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4008">The Hobbit</a>
Currently Reading: Zodiac
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Zeiyuka »

My boyfriend does not tend to read a lot of books but he does if the book is really grabbing his attention. He knows I love books and often buys them as presents because he knows I will fly through them. ^_^ He really enjoys me going on and on about the story.
ALIZNWONDERLAND
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ALIZNWONDERLAND »

I have dated people who didn't read, and it's really frustrating. Trying to have a meaningful conversation is like pulling teeth. They always wanted to play video games, or go out to bars and couldn't understand why I enjoyed reading so much, how I could know so much about so many different topics. They would often accuse me of being a "know-it-all," like it was a dirty word. I have shelves filled with books, have met hundreds of different people, lived many different lives, through my books. I learned a lot. I've decided that not reading is a deal-breaker. I need that kind of understanding in my life.
JRKD Nadeau

Post by JRKD Nadeau »

Yes I'm married to someone that doesn't read as much as they should. She is actually starting to read much more since we got married.
dark_euphoria
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dark-euphoria.html

Post by dark_euphoria »

When I was younger I dated someone who not only did not read but would mock me for reading so prolifically (needless to say the relationship did not last long). However years later I find myself dating someone yet again who is not an active reader, but saying that he does read autobiographies when the whim takes him and after six months finally finished a book on Finland that he took out of the library one day. I would say though that he will discuss my books with me or let me rant about them and characters or plot holes and he does listen throughout the rant!
For me the most satisfying moment is when I read a book that he then wants to read after me. I recently bought a copy of 'The Long Walk' which he knows from the movie, he was actually very interested in hearing that Richard Bachman was in fact Stephen King and got into a lengthy discussion about it, even encouraging me to finish the book so he can start reading it and compare it to the film. Moments like that make me smile perhaps more than if I went out with someone who was as active a reader as me.
ZamaMbatha88
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zamambatha88.html

Post by ZamaMbatha88 »

Yea i would
liniageline89
Currently Reading: Ender's Game
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by liniageline89 »

I think I would be fine as long as they can appreciate stories in general. Sometimes it is the medium that does not attract them, like they would like movies or tv shows or even plays but books might bore them. Even if they do not read much, but their imagination and appreciation for storytelling is intact, we would get along fine.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Not sure on that one, I have been married for almost 35 years and hubby and I are both readers. I would have a hard time being with someone that doesn't read. Whether that would make me not want to date him...not really sure.
smammen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smammen.html

Post by smammen »

I'm married to someone who doesn't read. He actually used to get jealous of whatever book I was reading because I was more focused on that. He's over that now. We aren't able to talk about books, but there are plenty of other things we bond over. I talk to my siblings about books.
Jauthor97
Favorite Author: J R R Tolkien
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jauthor97.html
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
fav_author_id: 2578

Post by Jauthor97 »

Absolutely.............

Not!!!!
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kb3ck »

I am married to someone that does not read. I take him to the book store with me and every time he says "maybe I'll get a book today too" but he never does. He would much rather watch the movie than read the book. It does not bother me too much that he does not read because he is willing to sit and listen to me tell him all about the book that I am currently reading. The fact that he is willing to listen to me makes up for the fact that he is not willing to read the books for himself.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Martin2017
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Martin2017 »

There is a very big problem in dating someone who completely does not like doing what you do,There will in many cases arise conflicts of interest when you want to concentrate on your reading and that other party needs your attention on other matters.
Marcus Nannini
Favorite Author: Marcus A. Nannini
fav_author_id: 66440

Post by Marcus Nannini »

I took the topic to mean someone who does not read, as in does not read books, newspapers, magazines, vs a person who does not know how to read.
Today, with twitter, facebook and others vying for instant attention it is more likely to result in a date with someone who does not read (as first mentioned above.) So I say I would date someone who fails to spend time reading, but not for too long as the conversational topics would no doubt be more limited than I would like.
Marcus Nannini
Calcutta Miss
Currently Reading: Lady Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calcutta-miss.html

Post by Calcutta Miss »

Nope I don't think so. we won't be able to connect emotionally and he won't get my obsession with books.
JBelkBooks
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbelkbooks.html

Post by JBelkBooks »

Ahhh, such a difficult question! I think I could, because then I could possibly persuade them to start reading my favorite books 8) However, they have to understand my love and desire for books, and how I deeply I care for them xD

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”