Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jekndecker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by jekndecker »

I always thought I could never date anyone who didn't love reading, like me. However, I know for a fact that you can marry them!!!
booklover24

Post by booklover24 »

I am dating a guy right now who doesn't read and he is cool with my reading. He even buys me books when I ask for them.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I have, but I remember how when I was younger I would give guys books and they were weirded out by it. I have friends who are readers, and some who aren't. The friends who are avid readers I'm closer with, and the guys I've dated who read lasted much longer than my relationships with non-reading guys. I hope I'll date more who can read, but I don't know many who do.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
lovestoread
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: mortal instruments series
Currently Reading: accused
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by lovestoread »

yes,I could date someone who doesn't read,as long as they liked to read every once in a while.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I haven't really acquired any experience in the dating area even for my 20 years of age. However, I feel that if I ever do, I would really like someone who reads regularly. My reason being that there are a lot of books that I would really like to discuss and have a good conversation about. I think I might feel closer to them if we have something like this in common. Moreover, I have always thought books are a good way to bond with someone. :D
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

Maybe, though they would have to be interested in something that we could talk about. If they didn't read, they'd have to like similar TV shows or plays, because a good bit of my life revolves around fiction. Or they could have a passion for history, but that's rather unlikely if they don't read, I'd think.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
animalgirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animalgirl.html

Post by animalgirl »

I don't think it would bother me as long as he didn't interfere with me reading. I have two related hobbies, reading and writing. Reading is very relaxing for me while writing is not, so that's why I chose to register in this group as a reader.

Hopefully, we would have other things in common to talk about, but in that part of my life, we would each do our own thing. I also imagine he'd have hobbies and I don't think we would have to participate in each other's hobbies to get along.

If we had nothing else in common or if he didn't like me reading and was constantly trying to keep me from it, then I'd be long gone.
Stacilyn

Post by Stacilyn »

I am actually married to someone who does not read at all. We still have plenty to talk about, and a lot of other things in common so it hasn't been a problem...so far. LoL In our spare time, I can be found with my face in a book and he is usually watching movies (his favorite thing to do).
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

My husband does not like to read for enjoyment. I once told him I would like to join a book club and he thought I was joking. He still finds it hard to believe he is married to a bookworm. I guess I tend to hide most of my reading by reading when he is playing video games.
polindsay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polindsay.html

Post by polindsay »

I tried to date a non-reader once. I even lent him one of my books, which was a huge amount of faith to put into someone. It didn't work out, which is fine, except he never returned my book! Good riddance.
Tithi Singh

Post by Tithi Singh »

I think it's not fair to them (Partners) because not every guy or girl doesn't like to read and I can't expect him to like or love reading because I can't stay away from a book... :lol:

But yeah he have to be understandable, and supporting towards my love and obsession. So if if he doesn't like to read or a story then it's ok as far as he doesn't irritate me with saying "why you like to read" or "I hate books" something like that. :roll:

My friends better know me and my love for books but none idiot loves it as much as to give me as a gift. I know poor me. :arrow:
AmandaLMcCormick
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandalmccormick.html

Post by AmandaLMcCormick »

I am married to a man who doesn't read. It's a little bit funny, actually. He stares at my three bookshelves and shakes his head - he certainly doesn't get why I buy so many books. But he's respectful of my passions.
Eve-Olsen2005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve-olsen2005.html

Post by Eve-Olsen2005 »

I married an I'm-not-much-of-a-reader and it's completely fine! Who else is going to feed the kids when you are at that part of the book and you just cant put it down! I mean, we have stimulating convoes and he'll ask me about the book I'm reading so it's not like nobody's at home upstairs. He has read one book in the 9 years that we have been married and that was an autobiography of Dog the Bountyhunter- ha ha!!!
latest

Post by latest »

I could your good book read everyday?
Bluefirerose
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefirerose.html
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by Bluefirerose »

I did date someone that didn't read...ever. He was far more interested in video games. Don't get me wrong, I play them myself sometimes, but that's how we spent a lot of our time. He would be shooting up stuff and I'd be sitting beside him with my book. He never even asked what I was reading. Not exactly a blossoming relationship. Honestly, I didn't know guys liked to read until college.

My man loves to read; he has introduced me to new authors and genres I might not have tried otherwise. A much better match if you ask me.
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”