Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
cynthiaalden12
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthiaalden12.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by cynthiaalden12 »

My boyfriend actually dislikes reading immensely. I don't hold it against him. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. :D
foxyreader16
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foxyreader16.html

Post by foxyreader16 »

This definitely is a tough question to answer because I'm an avid reader, but I also happened to have bonded with my boyfriend over things other than reading. It's not really a deal breaker for me since I understand some people just don't really read for enjoyment.
sdali23

Post by sdali23 »

I'd be hard pressed to find something in common with them if they didn't read. I have nothing against people who don't read, but reading offers knowledge about so many different things. It's like exercising the mind, beyond what's done through work or everyday life. On a more personal note, I'd be fairly annoyed if my significant other didn't understand my love for reading.
hannah_h

Post by hannah_h »

It really depends. IF the person is thoughtful, introspective, and intelligent in a literary way in their personality BUT didn't read... I could probably feel okay about it. The fact is.. that is rarely the case, and people that don't read tend not to have those qualities in abundance. You never know, though--the deal-breaker for me is the way in which the lack would manifest itself in my significant other.

-- 29 Jul 2015, 23:37 --

It really depends. IF the person is thoughtful, introspective, and intelligent in a literary way in their personality BUT didn't read... I could probably feel okay about it. The fact is.. that is rarely the case, and people that don't read tend not to have those qualities in abundance. You never know, though--the deal-breaker for me is the way in which the lack would manifest itself in my significant other.
dianaazura

Post by dianaazura »

I certainly have never met all of these passionate male readers myself, and I don't know where the ladies find them in abundance. Dating a non-reader has never put a damper on my reading habit though, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I would love to have bookish conversations with a boyfriend, like I do with my handful of reader friends, and I've always envisioned being together, while just sitting and reading, in our picturesque little library with lots of mahogany and leather bound books or in bed or something, as my holy grail of wonderfulness. But while that would delight me in someone,
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hm...I never really gave it much thought. I feel as if I love reading to cover several people :) . When I first began dating my husband, it also never crossed my mind (I was so happy to have started a relationship with him that I didn't care whether he read or didn't). He does enjoy reading, which I think is a benefit so we can discuss similar interest books, but if he didn't read, then that would be okay too.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
-Issinduil-
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-issinduil.html

Post by -Issinduil- »

Holy crap. I mean, I think I could date a girl who doesn't read, but it would certainly be difficult. I love talking about books and what I'm reading, so not being able to really talk about what I'm reading at the time would be incredibly difficult. That being said, it all boils down to why they don't read. Is it a character issue of laziness and procrastination? Or is it because they work hard and hang out with friends often, and therefore rarely have the actual time to sit down and read?
MadelynNicole
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4">Ender's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madelynnicole.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MadelynNicole »

Yes. As much as I love reading, there are other things I enjoy in life as well. There would still be plenty to talk about. Additionally, just because we couldn't discuss the specific plot of a book with them doesn't mean we couldn't discuss broad themes. I read primarily dystopian fiction because I find the social, political, and psychological ramifications to be fascinating. These are all things that can be discussed without referring to a specific book. I actually consider reading dystopian fiction to be like having a discussion on those broader themes with the author. So I suppose I couldn't be with someone who wasn't intellectual, but reading, or reading what I read isn't necessary.
GandalfTheFey

Post by GandalfTheFey »

Dear lord! What a question, what a... *shudders* Ugh. But to answer this more fully: no! Luckily I have never had to :)
K_S_Morgan

Post by K_S_Morgan »

A very interesting question. I would have said 'no' just two years ago, but now I'm not so sure. I guess it depends on the person I'm dating. If he or she is smart, witty and interesting without reading, I probably wouldn't mind.
Anuradha Verma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anuradha-verma.html

Post by Anuradha Verma »

I don't think so. I'd like to share one of the most important bits of my life with my significant other.
alilykat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alilykat.html

Post by alilykat »

Yes, I could, it is actually beneficial, since the person will have more time for me, considering I already have time taken up by MY books
CaitCupcake
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitcupcake.html
Latest Review: "Kept" by L. B. Plum
Reading Device: B00KHAFI9G

Post by CaitCupcake »

I have and could again. Although reading is a big part of my life it's not my only hobby; im also a big movie buff, a gamer and love music so as long as we can connect on one of my hobbies then all is well.
Latest Review: "Kept" by L. B. Plum
BColeman
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcoleman.html
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko

Post by BColeman »

I could mostly because reading isn't all that I like to do. Granted it would help if they read simply because I would have another person to talk to about whatever book that I am reading. There also is the possibility of converting them into readers!
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko
Hollow[Slayer]101
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Academ's Fury</a>
Currently Reading: Cursor's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollow-slayer-101.html
Reading Device: B008HTJLF6
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by Hollow[Slayer]101 »

That would definitely be a plus, being an avid reader myself, but I don't think I would base our compatibility by just that. I mean I don't just read. I absolutely love anime, and I like to play some video games. But, If she wasn't interested in any of those, I don't see a relationship going very well.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”