Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MontyQ
Currently Reading: Kushiel's Dart
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-montyq.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B01AZ7LT20

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by MontyQ »

Yes.
As long as they have some from of medium that opens them up to art (music, graphic novels, drawings, shows or movies) and has them thinking of the world we live in ill be alright.
I just can't handle closed minded or uninteresting folk.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I don't think I would MARRY someone who doesn't read or isn't willing to read after persuasion.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
hoosiergirlescapes
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hoosiergirlescapes.html

Post by hoosiergirlescapes »

I am currently in a relationship with a non-reader. 6 years actually and he is so supportive with my reading habits and book obsession. When we go to bed he'll go to sleep and I am able to leave a light on and read hours after he's asleep. He is always asking how my book is and I fill him in. He says he just doesn't have to attention span to finish a book. If I'm obsessed with a book that's about to become a movie he goes to the movie and afterwards listens to me rant about the difference in the two. I would love for him to love reading but I think for a non-reader I have the best non-reader out there ?
dcg8990
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcg8990.html

Post by dcg8990 »

I'm currently engaged to someone who refuses to read books. I love him dearly but he doesn't understand why I would chose to sit in my recliner and read a book than watch reality shows. Don't get me wrong I watch TV and the trash that's become a hit now days. But we were together for years before I really got into reading so.. it's definitely disappointing when I can't talk to him about the awesomeness I read in a book.
LaraRosales95

Post by LaraRosales95 »

Absolutely not. I need to date someone I could discuss different books and share our ideas about them. As a literature student books are important to me and I would love to date someone who shares that passion.
Hazel22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel22.html

Post by Hazel22 »

I have dated individuals who aren't avid readers and it is kind of unfortunate. I will admit that I am not losing hope in converting them :) I think that many people who aren't about reading just haven't found the right book or right format yet, so I'll keep trying my best!
bHaider
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaider.html

Post by bHaider »

I am married to someone doesn't read and honestly it doesn't make the slightest bit of a difference in our lives.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

bHaider wrote:I am married to someone doesn't read and honestly it doesn't make the slightest bit of a difference in our lives.
I'm with someone who doesn't read as well and I've found the same thing. I know a lot of people here say it really matters to them though. Maybe I just don't read as much as they do? There are plenty of things that we do together and have lots of intelligent conversation. And just as he plays video games and I do not, I read and he does not.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
FleurdeLivre
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fleurdelivre.html

Post by FleurdeLivre »

I married someone who doesn't read. He just gets bombarded by plot all the time. That or he winds up watching the movie/tv show and asks me about the differences.
kklaudi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kklaudi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kklaudi »

I tried and it did not work out. One thing is when this person does not manage to read much because he is slow reader and etc. but totally another case when person is not actually interested in reading! :O
JCate09

Post by JCate09 »

I have, and it was actually a problem. I find that people that read (no matter the genere) all have some personality trait that is the same. I can't pin point, but those that do not read for enjoyment lack that something. Granted I wouldn't turn someone down if they didn't, who knows they could be the perfect person me. But generally I noticed a lack of similar personality.
checkmatee
Currently Reading: Choices
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-checkmatee.html

Post by checkmatee »

I could. I don't have a problem with that. It wouldn't bother me. As long as he doesn't have a problem with me enjoying reading!
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

Yes, I totally could. I actually married a man who told me repeatedly that he "hates to read." I only considered this a challenge and now after almost 9 years of marriage, he is a huge fan of reading! I was able to help him find an author he loved (Vince Flynn) a few years ago while he was deployed, and since then he reads at least one book a month!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I actually dated someone who doesn't read and I guess it does not matter to me as much if the person does not read if only I can have meaningful conversations about other topics that matter to me (I focus a lot on social justice issues besides books) and even if he didn't read any of the books I read, we still had a lot of meaningful conversations though it would have been a lot nicer if he read books :) :P
Alylynn317
Currently Reading: Every Last Word
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alylynn317.html

Post by Alylynn317 »

Yes, and I am currently in a relationship with someone who does not read very often, 3 years and going. Although he does read every once in a while, it is maybe a few days out of the year at most. He chalks it up to getting so invested in a book he does not like to stop once he gets going. He does support my reading and TV habit as I support his gaming and youtube habit. It's a win win situation. He does enjoy going into bookstores with me, new and old, and will even get a few things for himself despite his lack of motivation to read most of the time. We love to find some good deals on used books and will buy a whole bunch to add to our collection (he also supports my home library idea). I find that most guys would not be interested in my love for YA girl/romantic/supernatural novels so finding a guy who would enjoy a good discussion on The Lux or Covenant Series would probably be slim to none. Plus, when he does read and likes to discuss his books, I can't guarantee that I am always listening to what he says anyways :) It's a hobby, not a mandated requirement for dating me, and I'm OK with that. I would hope that others would not have the same expectation when it comes to their partner playing video games, because as much as I like killing zombies in a game of COD, gaming just is not for me, just like reading may not be for others.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”