Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mlucius224
Currently Reading: Beautiful Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlucius224.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by mlucius224 »

It is an interesting thought, what would happen? What if you didn't realize they weren't a reader right off the bat? Does it matter, maybe your love of reading could spread to this person?

My father has a reading disability, something that has always bothered him, but he grew up in a time where they didn't pay enough attention to these issues. My mom was an English teacher. An unlikely pairing? Absolutely. However they found so many other interests they they shared it didn't matter. Now they are both retired, and that does sometimes make things hard for my mom because she would love to sit and read and my dad watches TV, but it isn't a make it or break it kind of thing in their relationship.

I am an English teacher too, and I married a Math teacher. Again, two people who are quite different. He wasn't much of a reader when we got married. We moved into a house that actually had a room we deemed the library, and his sad little book collection, including text books, didn't take up a whole shelf. However because I would read he would look for something to read. He is into science fiction and I own a few, not many, so that was a starting point. In the last six years he has become an avid reader and book collector, and in fact his collection now takes up three shelves. We won't mention that my books don't fit on all the shelves and that we have bought more shelving for other rooms and that I have quite a few stashed on shelves in my classroom, but I have been at it my whole life!
stevesalter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by stevesalter »

Quite easily as long as they aren't brain dead, can breath and don't mind the table lamp on when we go to bed. Does the sex come before or after reading that would have to be agreed first though I guess.
godsgirlarc
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godsgirlarc.html

Post by godsgirlarc »

I absolutely love to read, and my husband really doesn't. We read books together for school but he very seldom reads a book for fun. I guess I never really thought about it before... but I don't really mind that he doesn't read as much as I do.
SageHD
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sagehd.html

Post by SageHD »

Most likely no. For the fact that some of my dearest friendships (and realationships :D ) started in a library. Just seems more interesting to talk about a good read on a first like a sort of ice breaker. Than the generic an rather akaward questions you'd normally hear.
Tinkrbellt
Currently Reading:

Post by Tinkrbellt »

I have been married for almost 9 years to the same man and he is not nor will he ever be an avid reader like me. He and I are about as opposite as can be but that is what makes our relationship work. We don't have to argue about what books are better or what author we enjoy more. He will never understand why I love to hang out at Barnes and Noble and peruse through the aisles or why I insist on still reading an actual book instead of a e book but then again that is what makes life interesting. He doesn't understand why I love books so much but he respects that I do and that is good enough for me.
missbookworm

Post by missbookworm »

I'm actually in a serious relationship with someone who doesn't really read for entertainment. I don't mind it, because I have a close friend who does read, so I can discuss books with her. I just look at it as something we don't have in common, and that's okay. It's not like he bothers me when I read, and he even cuddles with me while I do so when he's around, so it's not a huge deal.
jrs31
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by jrs31 »

I don't think that I could just because they would never understand my love for reading. I am married & my husband also loves to read. He doesn't read for entertainment like I do but he reads things that are informative and he can learn from. He is always reading a book about surviving and edible plants, etc. I prefer reading for entertainment because I want to let me mind relax when I read, ha ha.
Royal Bibliophile
Currently Reading: Falling Kingdoms
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-royal-bibliophile.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Royal Bibliophile »

I am married to a man that doesn't read or share my love for most all things nerdy. Sure he doesn't understand my literature puns or fandom humor, but he does the best that he can to respect my interest. Even going as far as to allow Harry Potter, LORT & Star Wars decor throughout the house, and buying me books off my to read list and surprising me when I'm having a bad day.

What matters to me most is that my partner respects my love of reading and books even though he doesn't read himself.
MarianMarion
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianmarion.html

Post by MarianMarion »

I was married for three years to a man who mocked my English degree at every opportunity. It wasn't that he didn't read - he often read more than I did at any given time. However, he only read science fiction and fantasy, and thought studying literature was a waste of time.

It was definitely an experience that taught me that just because someone is a reader, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll get along. I wouldn't have any problems dating someone who doesn't enjoy reading, as long as they aren't negative about my love for it.
JoannaZacha
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joannazacha.html

Post by JoannaZacha »

No,I mean its ok if someone doesn't enjoy reading but I prefer the person I am going to date will have similarities with me , such ad reading and also its good to know that they enjoy something that keeps your brain up and running !
constant_reader81
Currently Reading: Skeleton Crew
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constant-reader81.html

Post by constant_reader81 »

Yes, I have dated a couple of people who rarely read and never read books. My current boyfriend will read an occasional book, but he mainly reads political articles or other educational articles. It does not bother me at all. He is supportive of my love of reading and that is enough for me! I feel like it is one of the things that I can call my own, apart from the relationship.
jeglissmeyer
Currently Reading: Intensity
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeglissmeyer.html

Post by jeglissmeyer »

I can and have dated several men who didn't enjoy reading the way that I do and very rarely was it an issue. I like having differences with the person I am dating. The only time I had an issue was with a man that not only didn't read, but thought it was funny to mock my reading habits. Needless to say, that relationship didn't last long.
Mandie3983
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandie3983.html

Post by Mandie3983 »

If someone didn't read I don't think I could fall for them in the first place. To me, reading symbolizes intelligence and creativity. Intelligence is attractive to me, as well as creativity. Also it's cool to have something to talk about.
irynochka06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irynochka06.html

Post by irynochka06 »

Well, I could, but I think such a relationship wouldn't last for a long time. For me the most important thing about a person is his/her mind. It should be interesting to talk to a person and discuss serious issues or just a book.
lhardley07

Post by lhardley07 »

I am married to a guy who doesn't read. It's not because he doesn't want to, it's because he can't. He has learning difficulties which make it hard for him to read for too long periods. It does get a little hard at times because I can spend hours reading but he can't. But he does like to listen to me read and listen to me talk about books which makes things easier.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”