Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
NotEvenClose
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-notevenclose.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by NotEvenClose »

Could you date someone who doesn't read? I don't mean someone who can't read, but someone who chooses to read almost nothing, and who almost never reads a book. Could you get into a romantic relationship with such a person?

I doubt that I could. I could never get emotionally close to a person who doesn't read books, mainly because we could never discuss a specific book, and the person would never be able to take any of my recommendations let alone make any recommendations of their own to me.

(This is nothing that's happening to me right now, just a random hypothetical that I've been pondering when I can't sleep at night and such. :wink:

I don't think that matters even a little!
My husband and I (together almost thirty years) have very different interests in reading material.
While I read almost anything and will stay in one genre for a certain time, he reads sci-fi/fantasy only.
I am usually reading something, while he will go months without picking up a book... then he'll read an entire series or author until he's done, then not read for months and months again.

We rarely discuss reading material, but we do ask/tell each other a bit about the story (like describing the best parts of a movie) which is sharing each other's excitement about the book. I talk with friends about books and now... I come here too! :D

Rkanatza
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkanatza.html

Post by Rkanatza »

As judgmental as it is, I associate intelligence with one's ability to read. If I'm dating someone who has absolutely no interest in reading any type of literature, we won't be dating for long.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I could. I have. I don't discriminate ;) however, sometimes it makes it difficult to hold a conversation about reading. But, you know, just change the conversation then.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
nannyluvscmu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nannyluvscmu.html

Post by nannyluvscmu »

I don't date because I'm too busy reading to have a social life, ha ha!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I don't know... most of the women I've dated have been non-readers. One person I was with for quite some time only ever read Stephen King. He's a great author, don't get me wrong, but... there's SO MUCH MORE out there.

I don't particularly enjoy having a difference like that with a significant other, but non-readers are all I seem drawn to. I recently gave a girl my number, and all I had to write it down on was an extra bookmark that I never use. Turns out she hates reading, so that was sufficiently awkward.
Christianmom1008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christianmom1008.html

Post by Christianmom1008 »

I am married to someone who doesn't read. He does have some difficulties reading, but he has never really enjoyed just picking anything up to attempt to read. He would rather watch tv or play video games. It is ok. Just because he doesn't like reading, it doesn't mean that I cannot. I actually enjoy reading to him and our daughter. I love reading out loud. I always have. I helps me to better comprehend what I am reading.
ssued2894
Currently Reading: The Guilt Club
Bookshelf Size: 398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssued2894.html
Latest Review: "Fate's Exchange" by Sasha Leigh

Post by ssued2894 »

It is funny that this is a question that is being asked. I am the type of person that LOVES reading. I read as much and as often as I can. I have been that way ever since I started to read. My boyfriend of going on 4 1/2 years is the total opposite. He would not pick up a book to save his soul. He hates reading. His saying is "I'll just watch the movie". Which this really bothers me because everyone knows that the movie is nowhere near as good as the book is. No matter what book or movie you are talking about. With this said however I love him with all of my heart and he is not boring. lol. He just thinks I am weird for loving to read so much and I think he is strange for not.
Latest Review: "Fate's Exchange" by Sasha Leigh
Sammijo0914
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammijo0914.html

Post by Sammijo0914 »

My husband doesn't read a lot. He will occasionally but he doesn't enjoy it nearly as much as I do. So for me the answer is yes. He does listen to me talk about books all the time though and doesn't mind when I buy new ones :)
zeldagreene
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeldagreene.html

Post by zeldagreene »

I would date someone who doesn't read. I understand reading isn't everyone's passion like mine. However, I could NEVER date someone who told me they hated reading for whatever reason. I often tell my best friend this whenever we talk about guys. It is my biggest pet peeve for anyone to say they hate reading. Reading is intellectual, important, beautiful. "A life without books is like a body without a soul." That was my senior quote for my high school yearbook.
ashleecavitt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleecavitt.html

Post by ashleecavitt »

This is the story of my life as my husband refuses to read anything other than an occasional sports magazine. Although I don't understand WHY he won't read, it doesn't change my feelings towards him. I think it's very possible for a reader to be in a relationship with a non reader. My husband and I have a great compromise for example. He gets to watch all the sports on tv that he wants without interruption, as long as I can sit next to him with my book and not be interrupted as well!
mrsallen7114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsallen7114.html

Post by mrsallen7114 »

I'm married to someone who doesn't read :) It hasn't created an issue for us!
MichaelMoretti

Post by MichaelMoretti »

I know I couldn't date someone who only watches tv... in general I couldn't date someone with no personal interest in any kind of 'active' activity , like reading books, cooking, being involved in sports or even play a guitar :)
SusanE
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susane.html

Post by SusanE »

As someone who is in a (wonderful!) relationship with someone who doesn't read, I can honestly say that yes I can. He doesn't care to read but is just as passionate about music as I am about reading. We both talk about our hobbies with one another and share our passions even though they're different. The hard part is finding room in the apartment for his 500+ CD's and records and my 100+ books (I have about another 400 at my parent's house but we just haven't found the room for them yet).
lisateb
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisateb.html
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig

Post by lisateb »

I actually got hit on once when I was reading a book at a book store. The guy asked me what I was reading. I showed him the cover and he said he hadn't read it. I asked him what his favorite book store was. His answer to me was that he didn't really read. I leaned back and looked at him and asked if he knew where he was because he was surrounded by books. The only thing this store sold was books! It was a turn off that he didn't read, so I wouldn't date someone that didn't read.
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig
Mollancholy

Post by Mollancholy »

I dated someone once who read only one book throughout the course of our three-year relationship (a Motley Crue biography). It was admittedly disheartening... At first because we'd met while we were both working at Barnes & Noble and I'd somewhat foolishly assumed we'd have a love of books in common right from the off... And later because I just couldn't share my reading experiences with him the way I could with other avid readers, which was perpetually disappointing.

My current partner's love of books rivals my own and I have to say, I'm grateful for that rivalry every day. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”