Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
makaylareads
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makaylareads.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by makaylareads »

I wouldn't mind dating a non reader as long as they are okay with the fact that it's something I greatly enjoy to do. I always spend money purchasing new books and most of my time is spent with a book so they would have to be okay with that at least.
bibliophile99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile99.html

Post by bibliophile99 »

I dont think i could, mainly becouse it would mean that they are not open to learning if they chose not to read. and bcouse i read so much i would never be interested in someone who chose not to read in the first place.
zumanajim
Currently Reading: Allies of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zumanajim.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by zumanajim »

Reading for me is a hobby that I love to endulge. Not everyone has a passion for reading nor the patience. For me, I truly enjoy getting lost in the pages of a good book. You could also expand the question forward to apply to readers: Could I date someone who did not enjoy the same books as I do?

Hopefully a reader and non reader can exist in this world and perhaps the reader, being excited about a wonderful book can turn a non reader onto something new.
i will but He will have to understand my fictional love for fictional characters
ladyace74
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyace74.html

Post by ladyace74 »

Yes, because not everyone has the same interests. What matters to me, is having time and the freedom to do what I like so why shouldn't I let my SO have the same choice... (plus more books for me! :P )
Headlesshorsegirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-headlesshorsegirl.html

Post by Headlesshorsegirl »

I actually did date someone who didn't read, don't know if I will be doing that again. He had started to say that I loved reading more than him and also tried to get me to stop reading, which was somewhat successful. I know not all men would be I think I would rather have someone who at least reads a little then one who doesn't read at all, in hopes of avoiding this problem again.
Jmcghee723
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmcghee723.html

Post by Jmcghee723 »

I would say yes! To me reading is like my getaway so it would be a way to escape from that person for a little while!
fmpresas93
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmpresas93.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by fmpresas93 »

I married someone who doesn't read at all. He knows I love to read and he's okay with that. If I want to discuss a good book with someone, I talk to my mom or my cousin. We're big bookworms!
TRose73
Currently Reading: Soul Magic
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trose73.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by TRose73 »

I dated, then married, a man who was not much of a reader. I had never really thought of a relationship as being dependent on how much you enjoy reading together. However, after being constantly interrupted in reading through the relationship due to the television being too loud or the fact that I could read anytime when he wanted my attention, I think my next must be a fellow book lover, even if we don't read the same genres!

Yes, he is my ex-husband and has been for almost 15 years now. But that isn't the reason he is my ex, just a consideration for the next one.
KReading
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreading.html

Post by KReading »

I'm currently dating someone who doesn't read much. He only does it if it's required in his classes. I would like to date someone who reads as much as I do so we can both talk about books.
Charlotte_danielle
Currently Reading: The Pillars of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-danielle.html

Post by Charlotte_danielle »

My husband, we have just been married over a year, does not read books. We don't bond over that, except when I pull him into a bookstore forcefully and spend a couple hours there. He does however read news articles regularly, all the time. And so we relate and have conversations about what we read in current events and all that. I don't limit my reading to just books on a leisure basis, I enjoy the news and articles about anything I can learn from, which I think is very important. Although, I do explain how amazing, exciting, tearful, etc. a book is to him. He doesn't read, yet I don't enjoy some of his hobbies and it works.
EmmaBear91
Currently Reading: Parasite
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmabear91.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by EmmaBear91 »

I am a stay at home mom and a very avid reader. I almost always have a book in my hand. My husband on the other hand does not like to read. But when I talk to him about books I've read and have gotten excited about, he sits there and listens even though he has no clue what I'm talking about.
kmkreader

Post by kmkreader »

I could date someone that doesn't read as long they don't interrupt me while I'm reading. It is a relaxing past time for me and they would have to understand that.
Blood_and_Jokes
Currently Reading: Empire State
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blood-and-jokes.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by Blood_and_Jokes »

Of course! (Not that I date). In the same way, I'd expect someone I was dating to be appreciative of the fact that they probably have interests that I'm less than enthusiastic about. That's normal.
JadeT
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadet.html

Post by JadeT »

I don't think I could date someone who doesn't read because I like to be able to recommend books to my significant other to read. Reading has always been a huge part of my life and I a would love to be able to discuss this with them. I find it difficult to talk to someone who doesn't share this passion with me.
KBrothers805
Currently Reading: Ignite
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbrothers805.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KBrothers805 »

While I tend to stick more to people who enjoy reading, I'm actually married to someone who doesn't read. It's not that he doesn't like reading, he just doesn't read all that much. In all the years that we've been married (10+ years) I think I've seen him read maybe 4 books. He gets distracted very easily and it takes him forever to read. He likes Stephen King, Dean Koontz and James Patterson. I don't think it's a deal breaker whatsoever. What I find to be difficult is that since I'm an avid reader and he isn't, we just don't talk about books (and it is a little disappointing) but I have PLENTY of other people in my life who do read, and read quite often, so I find that it balances itself out. I don't think it's a necessity to have the exact same passions in order to make a relationship work. Some people don't read very often for a variety of reasons and that's perfectly okay (at least in my book). It's just as easy to find other common interests.

Now, me being an avid reader, if my husband was to make rude comments about books I talk about or if he thought reading was stupid etc, then at that point I think it'd be more of an issue. He'll happily listen to me talk and talk about books and engage me in conversation by asking questions and such. I sincerely appreciate that and to me that is good enough.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”