Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I'm already surrounded by people that don't read or that read books that I would never pick up, so I'm used to not being able to discuss it with the people I'm closest to. Instead I go on forums like this. :P So I guess I would be okay dating someone that never reads.
lanaholiday
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanaholiday.html

Post by lanaholiday »

I would probably still date someone who doesn't read because that way I can try to introduce them to the wonders of books! I'd consider it a great success haha :D
book_babe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-babe_97747.html

Post by book_babe »

NEVER :geek2:
It is one of my biggest pet peeves when guys proudly boast "I don't read" like it is an accomplishment. I get so lost in books and can not comprehend how some people dislike reading with a passion. I don't think I would match well with a person like that.
tlblack

Post by tlblack »

That's a difficult question. I prefer if they do read. It sure adds to conversation topics, like you said; to be able to share all aspects of reading the same books, laughter, tears, new recommendations, etc. I know I definitely think twice, especially if they say that they hate reading or don't care to. (And if they say they hate Harry Potter, well, that would be the end of that.) But I guess in the long run it would depend on the person themselves: personality, physical attraction and other interests.
krystleb1703
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krystleb1703.html

Post by krystleb1703 »

If I weren't married, I probably could. My husband only reads when he absolutely has to. It doesn't bother me at all. It's a part of me that is for me. I don't get bothered much when I am reading so having a significant other that doesn't read much is fine with me. Even though he usually isn't interested in what I read, he still listens.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I am actually currently dating someone who doesn't read. I still talk to him about the books I read. He even asks me questions about the books and the authors. He often talks about reading some of the books that I talk about, he just doesn't usually follow through. When I'm spending time reading, he usually just draws or watches TV . It really doesn't bother me that he doesn't read.
MarissaK21
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MarissaK21 »

Well, before I started dating my fiance I thought no but really it doesn't make much of a difference. He enjoys reading non-fiction a lot and certain fiction books like the LOTR series, Harry Potter, and Jurassic Park are some of his favorites, but he's not a regular reader. I thought it was going to be a bigger issue than it is, because I'm a big reader, but it doesn't really come up much. Everyone has their own hobbies and interests and we just happen to differ on this one. I still talk to him about Jane Eyre, my favorite book, and he finds it interesting how much I get from that particular book and how much it affected me when I first read it. And I read out loud to him all the time while he works (he's a webcomic so he's drawing all day long). I would have had a bigger problem if he abhored reading in all forms and didn't understand my devotion to it, but that's not what happened in my case.
jana33
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by jana33 »

My husband is not a reader, but he loves photography. He spends hours looking at or editing photos while I read. It works for us since we both love what we are doing.
aanne227

Post by aanne227 »

I love reading at night when my husband is asleep next to me in bed. My husband is not a reader, well of novels any ways, he reads comic books and graphic novels. I love him for this because he has turned me on to reading comic books as well and enjoying the story being not only told in words but also in, what is sometimes, amazing art work. I really do not mind that my husband does not read. He will still ask me questions about what I am reading and why I chose to read that specific book. He is extremely supportive of my reading and chooses not to read himself which has not affected our relationship in the slightest.
mmirabal1987

Post by mmirabal1987 »

I was married to a non reader and we didn't have those deep conversations that I do with my current husband. I felt like I was an outcast because I was the only one who read. With my current husband, we read books and talk about them and then his family members are also big readers. So I feel like I found my niche in the world.
Rwarr

Post by Rwarr »

Absolutely!
Suzie Parker
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Suzie Parker »

I am currently trying to interest my partner in reading. To be continued.
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

For me I don't think I could date someone who does not like to read because it is so incorporated into my life.
Usher_GK

Post by Usher_GK »

The short answer No.

I can date someone who likes to be read to . These words are like death to me "why ? when we can just watch the movie"
andriah1999
Currently Reading: School of Deaths
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andriah1999.html

Post by andriah1999 »

Yes but only if he doesn't judge me for reading all the time and likes at least a few book to movie adaptations

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”