Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
lanielep
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanielep.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by lanielep »

I would say that I did, my husband was not a reader. Very rarely did he pick up a book and take the time to read it, but the iphone and maybe me changed that. I think he noticed how much enjoyment I got out a book and he was curious if he would also. In addition I found that he preferred non fiction to fiction, so I read a few non-fiction books and commented on them to him about why I enjoyed them and recommended he try them. Now we can discuss books.

So if you find yourself interested in a "non-reader" don't despair. Sometimes people just need to find their medium.
KC Osborne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kc-osborne.html

Post by KC Osborne »

I could, but they would have to accept that I won't be spending as much time with them as they may like because I have books that I can cuddle up to just as easily.
Mays Booktique
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mays-booktique.html

Post by Mays Booktique »

Hmm that is difficult, maybe not a deal breaker for me but at least the person should understand my love and passion for books and should be open enough to try it out one day, who knows maybe they become addicted as I am .
KirstyJ1994
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirstyj1994.html

Post by KirstyJ1994 »

I don't think it would stop me getting into a relationship with someone just because they don't read, but I would prefer someone who did enjoy books as we could discuss and recommend books we like.
bluemm0926
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemm0926.html

Post by bluemm0926 »

My husband of 8/12 years does not read at all! In over 10 years together, I've seen him attempt to read 2 books (both that I bought for him after he showed some interest) and he did not finish either. He'll listen to me if I talk about a particular book and he is supportive of me reading so it hasn't affected our relationship. Most importantly, he reads to our children whenever they ask!!
carriejones

Post by carriejones »

I definitely could, but I don't think I'd enjoy being around them as much. I find someone far more attractive when they're reading a book. Does anyone else agree?
toriborip
Favorite Author: Robin Jones Gunn
Currently Reading: The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toriborip.html
fav_author_id: 5926

Post by toriborip »

I think they would have to understand and accept my freaky obsession for books. But I do agree that someone is way more attractive to me if they read
Scratchy
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: The Angelus Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 152
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Scratchy »

I'm married to a man that I've never seen pick up a book, not even when he goes to the library with me. I ask him if he wanted to check out a book,he just said no. I don't understand people who don't read. I'll keep trying though.I will tell you this though, I read a whole series of dragon books to him and watched as he saw it all in living color, it was truly amazing.
a_mon_avis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-mon-avis.html

Post by a_mon_avis »

Luckily, my boyfriend loves to read as much as I do! Which I'm very grateful for, because I love picking out books that I think he'll like at the library. We have pretty different reading tastes, but once in a while we'll come across books that make us say "You have to read this!" He felt that way about Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain. I can't say that I loved it, but I loved that he loved it. I know there are people out there that don't like reading, but I can't understand why! :lol:
chrystalclear

Post by chrystalclear »

Absolutely not! I am very lucky that my husband is a reader. we don't always read the same things, but we both find it interesting to discuss what each of reads. He doesn't read nearly as much as I do, but still, I find it that it is a good connection and sometimes I am amazed by how smart and deep thinking he can be!!
Mommom6814

Post by Mommom6814 »

My husband is not a reader but it has never been an issue between us as he has hobbies that i have little to no interest in. While i come from a family of 6 children who all read voraciously, we trade books between us and get together as often as life allows us and we discuss what we have read, what each one thought of the book or an author. My husband and i talk in depth about many different things so for me his non-reading has never been an issue.
Jazmin_Sparks

Post by Jazmin_Sparks »

Yes as long as he's okay with me having book crushes
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

It would be hard, but as long as they had more interest than being a couch potato, I think we could work it out.
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Lady_Delish
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-delish.html

Post by Lady_Delish »

Honestly I don't mind if my partner doesn't read books, as long as he respects my love for them of course. That doesn't mean that he is not intelligent or something like that. Plus, I can always count on my best friend to share opinion about a book. Actually my current partner doesn't like reading (except for educational purposes), but he truly admires the fact that I'm such a big reader. So this kind of difference between people shouldn't be such a big deal.
njaco01
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njaco01.html

Post by njaco01 »

I could but it would be hard cause people just have to need something while you're reading :P

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”