Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DepiMadForBooks
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-depimadforbooks.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by DepiMadForBooks »

Actually non of my previous boyfriends ever read books actually all of my boyfriends and my friends think that reading is a waste of time and they don't really enjoy it I am the only one in my group that likes books and doesn't think they're boring
Shooting-Star
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shooting-star.html

Post by Shooting-Star »

I would, and I am at the moment. With the amount that I read I think it would be hard to find someone who reads as much as I do, but I think as long as you both have other mutual interests then that's fine. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
aprilzarzycki

Post by aprilzarzycki »

I have been married for almost 20 years to a man who doesn't read, doesn't enjoy it. But he knows that when I am in the middle of reading my chosen book, don't mess with me unless the house is on fire. He also knows that to get my attention when I am in the middle of reading, he is going to have pretty much interrupt my line of sight. So it can work. I don't have huge in depth conversations about what I am reading, but I have friends for that. He has recently started listening to audiobooks but his preferences in genre are not even close to mine. But him reading books was not a pre-requisite for me to be with him.
Brendakay908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendakay908.html

Post by Brendakay908 »

noway!
alex_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Post by alex_ »

No, because its a big interest of mine, and you like being around people with similar interests.
Sciadoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sciadoe.html

Post by Sciadoe »

My husband and I have a lot in common. Loving books isn't one of those things. He is a gamer and I'm just fine with that. We both need the ability to go and do our own thing and in the 9 years we have been married it hasn't led us astray yet. I think it makes it easier that he's always willing to listen to me talk about a book that I love. He doesn't have to love what I love because he appreciates that I love it. That's really all I need.
bree71

Post by bree71 »

I was married to someone who didn't like to read. I'd read my books & he watched his shows, sitting in the same room, next to each other. We had other things in common, like being line cooks together, bowling, movies, motorcycles, etc. It was a good marriage while it lasted.
A few years later I was dating a man who didn't like to read. He got jealous because I'd be reading books on my computer or regular books. Nothing else in common but playing pool.
So, it depends on the other person's interests and yours.
Enijmas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enijmas.html

Post by Enijmas »

I think that I'm extremely lucky to find a guy with loves books and reading as much as I do. It's wonderful to be able to read side by sides everywhere we go, and easy for both of us to agree that our future home will have a floor to ceiling bookshelf in every room. (:
Tayspeegs5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayspeegs5.html

Post by Tayspeegs5 »

My first boyfriend hated books and reading and I couldn't stand it, no wonder we didn't work out I must say I'm impressed for putting up with that for 2 years but I must say, NEVER AGAIN. There is nothing better than being able to discuss or read next to the person you love.
amen jamir
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amen-jamir.html
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by amen jamir »

I can't say I will not date someone who doesn't read books. I'll try to look for other common interests. But if they say they HATE books...I'll definitely hate them back.
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Never. Books are too big a part of my life. If the guy doesn't have a love of books I couldn't imagine us having much in common.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
ghostpixie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostpixie.html
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Post by ghostpixie »

Probably, but I doubt it would be a very fulfilling relationship on my end.
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods
MamaBookAddict
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ashes by jeaniene Frost
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabookaddict.html

Post by MamaBookAddict »

Yes. My husband doesnt like to read. He's more of an outdoorsman . He'd rather be outside but then, he grew up in the country. If the weather is nice and Im not hurting too much ( I have fibromyalgia), Ill go sit outside with him and the kids and usually take a book with me. My older 2 read more now than they did when they were younger, but they are adults (18 & 24) now. My youngest 2 are 12 and pretty much just read for school but I know that can change. My husband and I have a lot of differences but I think thats why we work so well together. He completely supports my 'addiction' We've been together 14 years this summer and as of March 17th, we've been married 10 years :)
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill
tracy1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy1.html

Post by tracy1 »

Yes. I could date someone that does not read.
cbmatte07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbmatte07.html

Post by cbmatte07 »

My husband does not actively read books. Sure he browses online articles & websites but he does not read magazines or novels, not even newspapers (excluding the shopping flyers). And myself, I am polar opposite. I read everything. I did since I was a kid. In waiting areas is where I realized I love Reader's Digest. To pass time I will read every single article in a newspaper if that is all there is. My husband knows if I am curled up on the couch deeply concentrated on my book, its best not to interrupt. He respects my passion for books, regardless if buying them, reading them, trading them, collecting them. Even though we cannot compare books I can still discuss it with him, tell him about it. Maybe one day he will be intrigued and pick it up himself but till then, we have spent a decade together, married 5 years and it has always worked for us. He loves me for my personality and who I am as a person, and books are a big part of who I am and contributor of many qualities of my personality.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”