Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
dhaines429
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by dhaines429 »

I'm in this situation right now and it is difficult at times. I'm trying to read a book and she is trying to get me to do other stuff. Books have played a role in my life from a young age and I can clearly remember getting books as gifts at Christmas and for birthdays when I was a child. Some kids would be disappointed receiving a book for a gift but I was excited.
So what does this mean in terms of the relationship that is in its infancy with a woman who chooses not to read? I don't know but I can say that in the long term it doesn't bode well. Someone who chooses not to read and instead wastes their time in front of the TV just isn't as good of a conversationalist as someone who reads books.
That's my thought on the matter anyway.
Indhira_Me
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indhira-me.html

Post by Indhira_Me »

I can and I am!!! It is actually not so bad. He doesnt share my interest in books, but is patient enough to listen to me re-tell most of the stories as precisely as possible. So the fact that he doesnt read for pleasure doesn't bother me. Its just those few things we do in each others private time.
heatherchoffman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherchoffman.html

Post by heatherchoffman »

My ex NEVER read. I mean, NEVER. I've never thought about things this way, but I ended up leaving him for someone else... and that someone else ended up being my husband... who, by trade, is a reader/writer. I'm guessing that answers the question.
moosenbat12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moosenbat12.html

Post by moosenbat12 »

NO!! I am a huge discusser. I discuss anything and everything i read and growing up my brother hated to read and it killed me not being able to come home from school and start discussing the amazing novels that we read in english.

-- 17 Nov 2014, 21:50 --

NO!! I am a huge discusser. I discuss anything and everything i read and growing up my brother hated to read and it killed me not being able to come home from school and start discussing the amazing novels that we read in english.
booklion13

Post by booklion13 »

I used to think i could but then I realized the main thing that made me interested in my ex was that he read and my current boyfriend reads almost as much as me and I love it so much. Can not go back
Sarah Delk

Post by Sarah Delk »

hehe:P forsure, I would!!
ALieLee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alielee.html

Post by ALieLee »

I have been with my Boyfriend for over a year now, and he has about 10 books to his name. He doesn't enjoy reading like I do, and i have to plead my love for a book to entice him to read something, but the way I look at this is, I love to read and he loves and respects that about me. He would never stop be from buying books, and spending all day curled up with a book in my hand. So yes I could, just as long has he loved that I love to read.
kybunnies
Favorite Author: Richard Adams
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Eyewitness
Bookshelf Size: 3958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kybunnies.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4206

Post by kybunnies »

I read an average of one book a day. My husband hates reading. We have been married 17 years. Have not once been a problem in out marriage. When I want to talk about a book I just start talking he quietly sits there and listens, nods his head and agrees with everything I say. This is especially helpful when I finish I book I end up hating. :)
ldavidson9

Post by ldavidson9 »

My husband is very supportive of my reading. He will even comment if I haven't read in a while. He doesn't read any books only articles here and there.
bedheadisme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bedheadisme.html

Post by bedheadisme »

When you're younger you have these lists of characteristics and qualities that you're looking for in a significant other. For me, being an avid reader has always been on that list. The problem with the list is that you can't always get everything that you want out of a person.

My hubby doesn't read nearly as much as I do. This year I started keeping a running list of all the books I read in a year and as of today I've got about 26 or 27 titles completed. He's probably read one book this year. So to answer your question, I like to think that I never could be with someone who isn't an avid reader such as myself but the reality of the situation is that I do love him very much even though he doesn't read.
jgreen11
Currently Reading: Deception Point
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgreen11.html
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita

Post by jgreen11 »

I could, but it would be so much nicer to date someone who does read, because there's nothing more romantic sounding than sitting by a fireplace on a snowy evening drinking hot chocolate and reading a book next to your significant other who is doing the same thing... *happy sigh*
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Luke 12:34
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita
_i_love_books_

Post by _i_love_books_ »

I am. My man is far from a reader, which is fine for us, because he can do something else while I read, which means I get left alone! :) He's tried for me, and just couldn't get into it. My best friend reads like I do so I have someone to talk books with. I almost always tell my man about what I'm reading, even though he's completely lost and has no idea what I'm saying. (That's how I feel when he talks football, game time is perfect reading time!)

Books are what helped me and my boyfriend get together, he doesn't read, but went with me to Barnes and Nobel before we started dating. I think I got lucky.
It can be hard dating someone who doesn't read, they just don't understand..
RBest
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rbest.html

Post by RBest »

I am married to someone who chooses not to read, but I didn't start reading until after we got married. Growing up I could never get into a book. I saw everyone around me reading, and I was jealous. My husband deployed a couple years ago, and that is when I decided to try and read a book. I am now hooked. I always talk about them to him, and he has even caught me balling my eyes out while reading. I do not feel like I could not be with him because he won't read books. I actually like the fact that he doesn't read. I feel that reading is my thing. It is my little world, and the book and I are the only ones who know about it (but of course we are not the only ones).
kar3nna
Currently Reading: Flaherty's Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kar3nna.html

Post by kar3nna »

I currently am in a relationship with someone who choses not to read. Our relationship is wonderful he understands I prefer to read when I have free time and he also enjoys hearing my synopsis about whatever I'm currently reading. :lol:
jjones3841
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjones3841.html

Post by jjones3841 »

As long as he respected my love an obsession with reading, I don't see why it would be an issue.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”