Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by TLGabelman »

I read more than my spouse (a lot more) and as long as he respects my reading time we dont have an issue. Of course we have a lot more in common so it has worked for the last 17yrs.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
domestic_yetti
Favorite Author: Austin
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domestic-yetti.html

Post by domestic_yetti »

Mu husband is not much of a reader at all. If he reads something his interests are Judicial Judges, select few biographies and politics; not my cup of tea. He has never been fond of reading but we have great discussions about the books I read. He may not understand Lord of The Rings or my love for this type of book but he loves that I love to read. We have had many a great conversations prompted by me just telling him what I was reading. It is a personal preference of what type of person you can love. I personally do not have an issue being married to a man who doesn't care for reading.
jonesh91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesh91.html

Post by jonesh91 »

To be honest, I always imagined I would end up dating an avid reader such as myself. My current partner however, is simply not a reader- and after months of gentle nudging, I accepted that he never would be.

I was a bit hurt at first, but after a while I realized how silly I was being. I liked experiencing new worlds and characters through books, and he liked doing it through t.v. shows and online gaming. We still have regular conversations (wonderful, intellectual conversations) about fictional worlds, plots, and characters- we are just experiencing them through different mediums. People have all sorts of reasons for not reading- it in no way takes away from who they are as a person.
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

We'd only get along if they weren't one of those "why do you read so much? reading isn't fun get a life" people. Many of my friends don't read, and it's hard to connect with them in that area. If only I could find a guy that's as much a bookworm as me, I'd be happy for all my life.
kwistah

Post by kwistah »

Yes, I'm married to someone who doesn't read. :)
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

haha. My husband claims to love reading, but he has only read like 5 books in the last year and a half.... which I don't consider really... being a reader type personality. I never really cared if the person I dated read or not. Actually it would be kind of annoying if my husband was more into reading... especially if he would read books before I got a chance to... because he is horrible at spoiling things. Even for himself he researches movies etc. and then tells me about them.. SPOILING them before either of us gets to watch it. I would be far more upset if this kind of thing happened with books and not just a movie here and there. haha.

Honestly, as long as the other person has an at home and somewhat solitary hobby as well.. whatever it is.. painting... online gaming... watching sports...etc. it works out well... because we keep each other company. I just hang out with them reading while they do whatever they are doing.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Ha ha! I'd really want to strangle your hubby. :). I agree with this assessment, however. I never thought In a million years I could live out the rest of eternity with a non- reader. However, if they have their own solitary hobbies that keep them busy I could learn to forgive them for not sharing my love of reading. But leave me alone while I am enjoying myself with a good book.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

My hub likes to read, but he doesn't read much now (except the news) due to lack of time. We manage just fine. :)

As long as he doesn't mind my reading and listens to my raving about a book, it isn't a big deal. :angelic-cyan:

I can discuss my books on line after all. ;)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Meehan_Connor
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meehan-connor.html
Latest Review: "Take Back the Memory" by Augustine Sam

Post by Meehan_Connor »

I've had girlfriends who haven't read before, and it never lasted. Readers see everything differently and to spend every day with someone who is ignorant to the value of such is frankly exhausting. It's not about words; it's about lives.
Latest Review: "Take Back the Memory" by Augustine Sam
Azra

Post by Azra »

Ouch a very sensitive question that is. My ex husband was a person who did not read at all. Among all the other things it was a contributing factor to our falling apart. You sometimes just "need" to share the feeling -whatever it is at that moment- , or dissect the book bit by bit "just because its so awesome" etc etc. with your loved ones. Some books are meant to be privately "ingested" but others you just got to share something!

User Gali has it right. Its not the amount of books being read, its the interest the other has in your reading or that they at least would be reading if they had the time. I've been there myself due to work.
bprovost14

Post by bprovost14 »

My husband is not a reader. He never has been. We have been together since we were teenagers in middle school and he was never into reading. On our honeymoon he brought books to read as we relaxed on the beach and it became a running joke for a very long time. I read all the time. 20 years and 2 kids later, we read to them every day, multiple times a day. He is a great reader when he reads to them and they LOVE sitting with him to read their stories. He still doesn't read for his own pleasure, though he mentions books that he would like to read. I think it is absolutely possible to date/marry/spend your life with someone who doesn't read on his or her own accord, as long has the partner understands that reading is important when raising a family and agrees to reinforce that value.
brooklynegan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklynegan.html

Post by brooklynegan »

I think that whoever I'm with would have to accept my hobby of reading and not despise of it, but I wouldn't not date someone who doesn't read because even though I love to read I know that everyone else has their own hobbies and things they like to do in their spare time and it's not just reading.
Katygalloway
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katygalloway.html

Post by Katygalloway »

I could probably as long as they let me have time to read!
ElphabaEvans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elphabaevans.html

Post by ElphabaEvans »

I am married to a former non-reader, but I am starting to convert him. So far he's sticking mostly to nonfiction about specific war heroes and historical events, which do not interest me in the slightest, but I have faith that we will eventually find some middle ground!
AKTuminello
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aktuminello.html

Post by AKTuminello »

I also married someone who doesn't read. On purpose. More book money for me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”