Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
alwaysreading75
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysreading75.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by alwaysreading75 »

Hi I married a wonderful man that does not even read the newspaper. But I read all the time . So I can say for sure that it can happen and works been together 20 years now and still going strong. So there is still hope out there. Lol
azy88
Bookshelf Size: 45

Post by azy88 »

Yes I could date someone who doesn't read. Reading is a passion of mine and it doesn't matter to me if they read or not. I'm not going to force my interests and hobbies upon someone else. Yes it would be nice to date someone that also enjoys reading because you can spend hours talking about books. What books you like, which books you don't like, which ones you thought had a better plot, which book genres you are both into, and many other things! It would be nice to just sit and read a book together and after you're both done to sit and have a conversation about it and compare each others opinions but I wouldn't go as far as to say that I would not date someone who is not an avid reader. I think it's more important to love someone for their personality. Love the person they are no matter what you have in common and what you do not have in common. You have to compromise. Sometimes you can try the things that he likes to do and he can try things you like to do. You might be surprised at how many things you could come to enjoy that you never thought you would have an interest in. And he the same. My fiance doesn't really like to read that much and when he does he only likes to read books about electronics or history. I'm more toward fictional books and romance. Well I can't technically say I have a favorite genre of books because I like all kinds of books. I love my fiance for who he is. He makes me happy and he knows how to make me laugh and he does lil things to surprise me and make me happy. He tries his best to help me when I need it and be there for me when I need him to be. He lights up my life in ways I never thought possible and he gave me a beautiful son and just because he doesn't like reading doesn't mean that I'd ever give any of this happiness up. Hes amazing the way he is and I wouldn't want him to try to pretend to be something that he's not just to please me. There's not that many men out there that are into reading any way. Most men don't like to sit still for hours on end with their noses in a book. If you seriously would base your decision of whether to date a man or not because of one thing or another or how many interests you have in common then you're probably going to be single the rest of your life. Love them for who they are! If they make you happy, make you laugh, do everything they can just to see you smile, treat you with respect and love you unconditionally, work hard to support you and make sure you have the things you need, makes you feel safe and secure when you're in his arms, wants to spend every moment available with you, makes you giddy and happy and feel as if you'll burst with joy, and no matter how long they're gone, you always miss them until they get back. Find someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with. Someone that you can see yourself marrying and having children with and growing old together with. Someone that loves you just the same back! Don't sit and say that you wouldn't date someone who doesn't read because you might be passing up an opportunity that you'll regret later in life. So yes I would date someone that doesn't read! I'm engaged to a man that doesn't like to read. And no matter what I love him for the person he is and if he'd change then he would no longer be the man that I fell in love with. So don't base your decisions on who you should and shouldn't date on such a small insignificance!
CharChar84
Currently Reading: The Submissive
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by CharChar84 »

To me, reading is considered a hobby. It's something I do when I have free time or when I want to get away from the everyday grind. My husband loves to read as well. However, most couples or individuals have different hobbies or interests. So, even though in my situation I didn't have to worry about dating a non-reader, I do believe that readers/non-readers can date or marry and get along just fine. :D
Wideeyedhippiechild
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wideeyedhippiechild.html

Post by Wideeyedhippiechild »

I am currently dating a man that is not terribly interested in reading. Come to think of it, I've never dated a reader. Some guys have not understood why I'd rather spend some evenings with a book than them, but fortunately, this one has plenty of his own hobbies, so he understands my own obsessions.
lauraella12
Currently Reading: Sugar Baby
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraella12.html

Post by lauraella12 »

My opinion is no because they just dont understand someone who does read and it is nice to compare your opinions to someone close to you and also borrow their books.
easaands
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easaands.html

Post by easaands »

No! I heart my books big time, but can't imagine an entire dinner on Hamlet prince of Denmark. It would feel like I'm having dinner on this website. Got nothing against this web, but it's romance we're talking about here.
didabean
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-didabean.html

Post by didabean »

I could date someone who doesn't read; I've done it before. I will say, though, that in my experience, I'm more likely to have a better relationship with another reader than a nonreader. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but I do think its nice to be with someone who shares at least a few of my major interests, reading being one of them.
[AHP91]
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahp91.html

Post by [AHP91] »

I actually married a person who doesn't read and to be totally honest it does make my blood boil at times. It's hard to not take it personally when I'm really getting into a story and I have to read aloud my favorite lines and he just rolls his eyes or nods blankly, obviously not caring for the amazing content I just spewed at him. Oh well, as long as nobody messes with my books, I can tolerate them :)
Layla_20_20
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-layla-20-20.html

Post by Layla_20_20 »

:D I think it depends on what type of person you are dating. Obviously if you are dating some-one with the same interests as you then you have a lot in common and that can form the basis of an interesting and stimulating relationship because you and your date will definitely discuss anything that you read with each other and that could spark of an interesting argument. If you are an avid reader but you are dating some-one who is the opposite it could be viewed as a barrier if you always have your nose stuck in a book and your date is not getting the attention that they want. This would make any dating relationship awkward and possibly culminate in a break-up! I would say that I could not date some-one who does not have the same interests as me because I always have my nose in a book or am writing or working on something that does take up a lot of my time.
surprise_its_em
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surprise-its-em.html

Post by surprise_its_em »

I think I could. I guess it depends on the person. I don't mind it if they don't mess with me while I'm trying to read or say stuff about me reading too much, but of course I must be able to discuss my book with them. Even if they don't know what I'm talking about at least they don't mind listening to me ramble or cry about the book. I guess it depends on who it is and how they respond to me loving to read all the time.
wolfet
Currently Reading: Blind
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfet.html

Post by wolfet »

Maybe, but it isn't likely. I really would love to be with someone who understands reading and my love for it. Someone who I could talk about books with!
Sophie_Jane
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie-jane.html

Post by Sophie_Jane »

Good question haha.

I think I could date a person who doesn't read, as long as they didn't slam me for reading. If they were rude about the fact that I enjoyed reading then it would be a definite no. :snooty:
However, if I could still talk to them about a book it would be fine :)
Shelly2915

Post by Shelly2915 »

Yes! Like some of the previous commenters, I too am married to a non-reader. He would listen to the audio books, but reading is just not his thing. I have talked to him about books comparing them to the movies, and how things get left out. I know, I know, it's a time issue. He has no problem with me reading, even on my kindle app on my phone in bed at night.
india_fade

Post by india_fade »

My husband isn't a big reader in the traditional sense, but he constantly reads articles. It is frustrating when there is a great book I want him to read and he says that he will... but he doesn't. It hasn't been a deal breaker though. It has given me more to talk about, and sometimes I even read books aloud to him. In fact you could say my reading has brought us a bit closer!
Tracy B

Post by Tracy B »

My husband is a non reader...so the answer to your question is yes. He may not read, but he helps support my book habit. My spouse is big into video games and it is wonderful. I read, while he plays online. We are still together in the same room while we do our own thing. It may not work for everyone, but it works for us.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”