Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DuchessAngel37
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

It wouldn't matter much to me. I don't always discuss what I'm reading with anyone, and I already have people that I can do that with if I choose. That doesn't mean I won't encourage him to read something if I find it fascinating, but I don't know if many guys would enjoy the types of books I read. (I'm big into the comedic chick-lit of the British and Irish authors, namely Marian Keyes and Sue Margolis, and ANYTHING by Joyce Carol Oates, hometown hero)

Also, ditto on the generalizing. Not to kick a dead horse, but seriously, there's no reason to just assume people who don't read are lazy or don't have the skills to read. Some people just don't like it.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

That was exactly my point when I was referring to my beautifully intelligent friend who doesn't read.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Tmritz

Post by Tmritz »

Reading does not include just books for entertainment. I am not saying non-book lovers are stupid. There are many things that one can read. It is a difference in taste. Small things in time can eat away at any relationship. In my opinion, this creates conflict within an intimate relationship.
Rebeca Darklight

Post by Rebeca Darklight »

Oh gosh, I would end up alone if I didn't date a non-reader because 99.95% of the people I know are non-readers or have read only a couple of books in their life (being one of them "The da Vinci code"). I only have 2 friends who read constantly (one of them lives in the Netherlands, on the other side of the world for me, haha), the rest read one book a year and most of the guys I know do not read at all. Sad but true. I'm alone here, hahaha.
Be nice to me! English is not my native language. :)
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

What is it with The Da Vinci Code? People who haven't touched a book in their life seem to lap that one up like cream for a kitten!

Rebeca Darklight

Post by Rebeca Darklight »

I hear you!!! When it first came out I bought it and read it and forgot all about it... and then it started, the darn book was everywhere, different versions of it, with pictures, without pictures, paperback, hardcover, in Spanish, in English... and then, the movie came out and with it the constant TV specials. I hate that book now!

On the other hand, the buzz made some people read a novel for the first time and hopefully that will make them pick up another book in the future and keep reading, but gosh, make it go away already, hahaha.
Be nice to me! English is not my native language. :)
Bonadonna

Post by Bonadonna »

Even though I'm lost past my season for dating, I still have to weigh in (because it's a good topic) and say that I don't think that I could date a person that doesn't read. Or watch anything but blockbuster type movies, for that matter. It would cut out a whole, huge portion of my life that I love to talk about and I would really crave that particular type of discourse.
Linda

Post by Linda »

i could date someone who doesnt read but i think it'd be cute to have like time where you'd both sit together but just like shut up and read. lol idk seems nice
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
awelker

Post by awelker »

i would want someone that i could recommend books to and vice versa.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

That would be nice, but I would have to say it's a "want" not a "need".

Linda

Post by Linda »

i consider it a want...that i want really bad lol but i'm willing to wait.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I been waiting awhile... the want list is getting smaller!!

thumbelina881

Post by thumbelina881 »

I used to think that reading was a requirement for any person that I dated. But I've learned with experience that being able to talk in depth about my favorite books is really just an added bonus. As long as the person respects my time to read and is able to carry an intelligent conversation, than it's really not that big of a deal.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I had the fortunate opportunity to work in a bookstore where I met someone who shared the same passion for books. We would spend hours talking shop about our favorite authors, books, genres, trends and more. In my case it worked out splendidly and I'd like to think that our passion for good books brought us together and has been a main staple in our relationship for over five years.
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

My boyfriend doesn't enjoy reading, but I have no problem with it. We have so much in common that this is basically our one big difference. Usually when he plays video games (which I can't stand to play for a second) I'll read a book. We're in the same room and I actually enjoy doing these two different activities together. We're both doing something different, yet we are still doing it together.

I also think it works well because he will listen to my discussions and rambling about books and take an interest in them. He doesn't particularly enjoy reading (he will pick up a book on occassion if it is about history), but he always takes time to listen to me discuss books and he will even ask questions based on what I've told him. Since he takes an interest in my hobbies I find that it works for me.

If someone couldn't appreciate or tolerate the fact I enjoy reading, I think that would be a problem for me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”