Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
WndrWmn2016
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wndrwmn2016.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by WndrWmn2016 »

Not only could I date someone that doesn't read, I married him. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but if he was a reader our conversations could be a ton more interesting :(
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Kaitlyn Singh
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Kaitlyn Singh »

My husband doesn't read books, no problem there. So yea...
mhawki36
Currently Reading: Doing Time
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhawki36.html

Post by mhawki36 »

Previously, I wanted to find an avid reader because I thought having such a strong similarity would lead to a better connection. However, my boyfriend actually hates reading and is quite honest about it, and I still love him just the same. I will be honest, at times it does frustrate me that he does not like to read, especially because it is not only my go to for entertainment, but for news as well. I do take it personally when he skims a fascinating article I have shared with him, or asks me to paraphrase. But what I must remind myself is that he does want to know the information. Sure he may ask me to tell him about it, but that does not mean that he's uninterested. I find intelligence, as well as the pursuit of it to be one of the most important characteristics of a person, especially in someone I would want to be romantic with. It was difficult coming to this conclusion given how significant being a reader is in my own life, but when the quest for knowledge is my purpose for reading, and he also has an interest in it as well, I must accept that there are other ways by which he may ward off ignorance in his own way.
GemNR18
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 743">White Bones</a>
Currently Reading: Taken for Dead
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemnr18.html

Post by GemNR18 »

There's something really wonderful about sharing a love of books with your partner. I am very emotionally attached to reading and so I feel that the only way my partner can truly understand me is if they have felt that themselves. Besides, reading together in bed is something all couples should do!
MelissaNathan12
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissanathan12.html

Post by MelissaNathan12 »

I am married to a man who chooses not to read books. I have been an avid reader since I was young but his school burnt him out on literature as a hobby. However, this doesn't affect our relationship at all because he realizes how important of an outlet it is for me and my love for it just as I understand his hobbies are important to him.
JenTaylor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JenTaylor »

I don't think that not reading would be a deal breaker for me personally, because different people have different hobbies and that's fine, as long as they have some traits or interests that we do share.
__amberdawn
Currently Reading: The Revised Fundamentals of Caring
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberdawn.html

Post by __amberdawn »

I'm married to a non reader. I always thought that I could NEVER be with someone that isn't obsessed with books like I am. It works though. She's still super smart, and can definitely hold her own in a discussion. She just isn't into literature, but she'll let me babble on for hours about my favorite books and authors. She buys me books constantly and is genuinely interested in what I have to say about them. Different interests aren't always a bad thing.
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

The person I married, now in the midst of a divorce, doesn't read. I can say he partially illiterate but that's by his and his family doing from when he was younger and never tested. One thing I made sure was done when our son's reading grades were falling behind in the 1st grade. I think the next person I'm with must have some likeness to reading. At least, understanding when I feel like reading over cleaning. lol! But then again, the person I have my eye on likes to read. Could be a win-win situation there.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Kwoj03
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwoj03.html

Post by Kwoj03 »

Growing up I chose books over movies. To this day I'm the same way. I can't sit still and watch a 30 minute tv show or an 90 minute movie, but I can sit for hours and read. I'm dating someone who is the opposite. A true film buff. He would always choose to watch a movie over reading a book. Recently I've gotten him to read a few books based on movies and tv shows he likes. It's a start! Now we can talk about books and movies together. We have different opinions, but we are taking interest in each others interests. More important is that he is reading :)
Magickangel102
Currently Reading: The forgotten princess
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magickangel102.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Magickangel102 »

Could I date someone that dosent read? Well I honestly can't say I've ever dated any one that reads like I do. My husband speaks of books he's read and asked me to download him this certain series he wanted but I've never actually seen him read. Where I'm reading or dealing with my book related dealings all day everyday. I don't mind and he don't mind.
sammiadams3
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiadams3.html

Post by sammiadams3 »

I am dating someone who doesn't read much and I do wish he did sometimes. I always wish we could discuss books together. I also wish he could understand my great love for reading. However, he enjoys watching me read and he still like to hear me talk about my books and how excited I get about a good one. And he makes me hor chocolate and food for whenever I am just relaxing and reading. I read while he watches football and it works out pretty well.
MarkMueller
Favorite Author: Michael Connelly
Currently Reading: I Capture the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markmueller.html
fav_author_id: 3897

Post by MarkMueller »

I've dated women who don't read. It's fine, learning about other people's interests. But with someone who doesn't read, it's difficult to maintain a conversation about my interest books with someone who can't be bothered. Fortunately, my wife is just as much of a book worm as I am!
aakanksha12345

Post by aakanksha12345 »

Legit.
I guess what's disappointing is that half the people don't dear! Mostly the blonde bimbos. I must say like them.... Till the time they don't open their mouths xD
JoanneR
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanner.html

Post by JoanneR »

I was married to someone who did not read. That is fine. He loved me and I loved him, so we had things that were separate about ourselves.
Ccurren94

Post by Ccurren94 »

Yes, I'm in a relationship with somebody who doesn't care for reading much now. He's just as intelligent as somebody who would he just doesn't find fun in books as much as he does the imagination world of video games.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”