Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
michelet3005
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by michelet3005 »

My husband doesn't read and it doesn't bother me at all. He has a couple of books but takes AGES to get through one if he does at all. It's my hobby and he respects it. He sits patiently outside the bookshop and waits for me. Likewise I have no interest in his hobby of playing cricket. Surely reading is like any other hobby. You aren't going to find someone that likes and hates things exactly the same as you. Lucky for me he can sleep really well with the light on so it's never an issue.
Cupids_Psyche

Post by Cupids_Psyche »

Hi, new member here who couldn't help jumping in on this topic.
I have dated non-readers in the past who have been excessively boring. I've dated readers who don't have the same reading habits as me who have proved to be also excessively boring. I've also dated writers who, because they feel that some of the garbage they write is so awesome it validates them only reading what they have personally written, have also been excessively boring.
It is very difficult to find any happy medium...or perhaps I'm too picky. :)
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Cupids_Psyche wrote:... I have dated non-readers... I've dated readers... I've also dated writers... or perhaps I'm too picky. :)
:lol: Or perhaps you're just a little flirt! :lol:
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
writerworld

Post by writerworld »

michelet3005 wrote:My husband doesn't read and it doesn't bother me at all. He has a couple of books but takes AGES to get through one if he does at all. It's my hobby and he respects it. He sits patiently outside the bookshop and waits for me. Likewise I have no interest in his hobby of playing cricket. Surely reading is like any other hobby. You aren't going to find someone that likes and hates things exactly the same as you. Lucky for me he can sleep really well with the light on so it's never an issue.
:D Sounds like you have a good man right there. That is a man, who will go with you and just wait, good man. :mrgreen:
michelet3005

Post by michelet3005 »

:D Sounds like you have a good man right there. That is a man, who will go with you and just wait, good man. :mrgreen: [/quote]
I am a very lucky woman!! He can spend a few minutes looking around the store but then gets bored and goes somewhere to wait. He also doesn't complain much when I walk out with a few extra books under my arm.
I don't think it matters whether your partner reads or not. What is important that they respect your hobby and you respect theirs. It's not fair for me to force reading onto my husband just as it isn't fair for him to force cricket or any of this other hobbies onto me although anytime he does show interest in wanting to read a book I am the first one out the door to buy it for him. :mrgreen:
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@michelet3005
I would have thought a cricket match the perfect place to read .... peaceful, quiet and not a lot happening!
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Cupids_Psyche

Post by Cupids_Psyche »

C0ldf1re wrote: :lol: Or perhaps you're just a little flirt! :lol:
No...still looking for Mr Right. I'll be waiting a while I think!
michelet3005

Post by michelet3005 »

Fran wrote:I would have thought a cricket match the perfect place to read .... peaceful, quiet and not a lot happening!
He plays indoor cricket so if I went to watch him I probably should watch him. He asked me to go to a 20/20 match once I said sure. He said without missing a beat 'you can't bring a book you have to watch the game', I said I wouldn't go. Also I burn like crazy if I'm outside (even in shade) so for safety I'm strickly indoor reading only! :D
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Cupids_Psyche wrote:
C0ldf1re wrote: :lol: Or perhaps you're just a little flirt! :lol:
No...still looking for Mr Right. I'll be waiting a while I think!
The trick is to wear rose-colored spectacles so that he seems to be Mr Right. Never take them off, not even in bed. :lol:
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

michelet3005 wrote:
Fran wrote:I would have thought a cricket match the perfect place to read .... peaceful, quiet and not a lot happening!
He plays indoor cricket so if I went to watch him I probably should watch him. He asked me to go to a 20/20 match once I said sure. He said without missing a beat 'you can't bring a book you have to watch the game', I said I wouldn't go. Also I burn like crazy if I'm outside (even in shade) so for safety I'm strickly indoor reading only! :D
Didn't know there was such a thing as Indoor cricket? .... I've led a very sheltered life obviously :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Cupids_Psyche

Post by Cupids_Psyche »

[/quote]
The trick is to wear rose-colored spectacles so that he seems to be Mr Right. Never take them off, not even in bed. :lol:[/quote]

That doesn't seem very honest....LOL.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Cupids_Psyche wrote:
The trick is to wear rose-colored spectacles so that he seems to be Mr Right. Never take them off, not even in bed. :lol:
That doesn't seem very honest....LOL.
Just think about it... If you imagine that a man is perfect then you'll be happy. And he will be happy too.

Why let a few silly little scruples get in the way of your mutual happiness? :D
camilegordon

Post by camilegordon »

you could, but what would be the point ?? the conversation is hardly going to go very far whatever the subject. so definetly no for me !
Yamia Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yamia-green.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Yamia Green »

I could date someone who dooesn't read because its my hobby something that I love to do, but they would have to be open to hearing me share my thoughts or good nuggets that I may learn from a good book.
dalaii

Post by dalaii »

Definitely not. Reading is such a passion - I am usually reading/listening to at least 2 books at a time.

Funny that I found this topic because my husband and I have talked about this extensively. He did not read as much as I thought he "should" when we met, but I think I've reignited his fire with some encouragement. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”