Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LaurenHop8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by LaurenHop8 »

I am dating somebody that does not read and even though we can not have discussions about books that I have read, we get along pretty well. It would be nice to be able to talk to him about books, but that is what my best friend is for.
Lornicans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lornicans.html

Post by Lornicans »

Im married to a man who doesnt read, he would rather play video games then ever look at a book
MHaswell15
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: Bag Of Bones
Currently Reading: Justifiable Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhaswell15.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by MHaswell15 »

My ex husband is my ex husband because I wasn't allowed to read OR to
have any books in the home. It was the worst 4 years of my life. People who read tend to have
an extensive vocabulary & he felt very threatened by anyone who could communicate without
grunting. I never met anyone else in my entire life that demeaned people for being able to form a
complete, intelligent sentence. No, I don't think I could date someone who doesn't read books.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

MHaswell15 wrote:My ex husband is my ex husband because I wasn't allowed to read OR to
have any books in the home. It was the worst 4 years of my life. People who read tend to have
an extensive vocabulary & he felt very threatened by anyone who could communicate without
grunting. I never met anyone else in my entire life that demeaned people for being able to form a
complete, intelligent sentence. No, I don't think I could date someone who doesn't read books.
I'm glad you left him.
MHaswell15

Post by MHaswell15 »

Me too. I went on a reading binge for 3 months after I left him. I was STARVED.
book_worm221

Post by book_worm221 »

Icould, but they have to not hate books and still be able to holf a conversation.
believeandfire
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by believeandfire »

Yes I'm sure I could but I would force them to read. If you really like someone it usually shouldn't come down to a book.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

MHaswell15 wrote:Me too. I went on a reading binge for 3 months after I left him. I was STARVED.
Wow, I bet that was a great three months! :)
Read on, I say!
MHaswell15

Post by MHaswell15 »

Of all the hang ups I may have had at the time, he took issue with my reading addiction.
My ex husband is very anti-learning & books were trigger objects, I guess. But yes, it
was a magnificent 3 months. :)
Athomewithbooks

Post by Athomewithbooks »

I dated someone who did not read for pleasure, but he could write wonderful letters, so it didn't bother me at all. Who cares if they don't read if they write you stories about the two of you and the world.
borngreat
Currently Reading: The beekeepers son
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by borngreat »

I believe that I could date someone who doesn't read. But, they would have to do something equally productive. For instance, solve math problems for fun.
lisaw1003
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisaw1003.html

Post by lisaw1003 »

I'm married to someone who will seldom read a book, and when he does, he just skims it so he can find out the ending. I, on the other hand, enjoy reading. I usually read every night before bed and anytime I just want some serenity and alone time. I read cover to cover, because I like all the details and usually find the book much more interesting than it's movie counterpart, since the book has more detail.
ncreads
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ncreads.html

Post by ncreads »

Yes, my partner now doesn't read but I still tell him about the books I'm reading and I keep him updated on my book Instagram profile. He takes me book shopping and will help me find books that I might like as he's been around long enough to have an idea of whether or not I'd be interested in the book.
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I could and I am currently. I love reading and it's my favorite way to past time, but I understand not everyone feels the same. My boyfriend is not one to sit still. He is always on the move and doing something. This could have caused a problem but he is very respectful and understanding of my love of reading. He will sit and listen while I discuss a plot in whatever book I'm currently reading and although he hasn't read it, he will still chime in with an opinion. I think it's healthy to date somebody who has different hobbies. It opens your eyes to a whole new world.
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

C81, I agree. I'd love to have a BF like that! :-)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”