Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
lirpa1980
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by lirpa1980 »

I would prefer not to, just as I would prefer not to date someone who eats meat and products containing other animal ingredients, and someone who does not believe in God.With the number of people in the world, I figure I can be picky. Besides, I am perfectly fine with being single!
SneakyReviewer007
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sneakyreviewer007.html

Post by SneakyReviewer007 »

8-) No, definitely not ! I love reading and gaining insight ! A mutural interest as well as travel would have to be reading !
mark3666
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark3666.html

Post by mark3666 »

If you enjoy reading, dating someone who doesn't could be challenging. However their lack of interest in reading would not necessarily make him or her a bad or poor partner. Personally I would not mind to date such a person because if they see me enjoying reading on a regular basis, some interest may be planted in them to start reading. He or she maybe converted into being a book reader which would have been my secret mission!
Maegan101
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maegan101.html
Latest Review: "Before the Cult" by Sandy Masia

Post by Maegan101 »

I really couldn't imagine it. Before I was married it didn't really matter but now my husband and I will just sit together and read at night. Its the most comforting thing.
Latest Review: "Before the Cult" by Sandy Masia
PaperPlanes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paperplanes.html

Post by PaperPlanes »

As someone who is currently dating someone who doesn't read for fun, I can only say that it is difficult at times. It's hard to describe the pleasure I get from reading books but also from the peace and quiet I enjoy so much. Although his reason for not reading is his overactive ADHD, he doesn't shame me for reading but rather keeps me from spoiling the stories in case he ever gets serious enough to dive into the reading world. Plus, it would be a shame to have the same exact hobbies since I would have never gone canoeing or hiking without him!
egymalika
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egymalika.html

Post by egymalika »

I did once and it did cause a few hiccups in conversations I started with him. A topic would come up where I would mention a famous book or author to relate, and in turn I would get a blank stare back.
Needless to say this relationship ended, though not specifically for that reason. I am married now to someone who loves to read and learn new things just for the heck of it. It's nice to feel like you have to catch up and keep yourself posted as well.
A111698

Post by A111698 »

I'd almost prefer it if my boyfriends didn't read to much. I've had several that have seen me reading a series, started it,then surpass me and spoil the ending or the twists.
SeekaSue
Currently Reading: Lotus Blood

Post by SeekaSue »

I am married to a man that doesn't read. He has only read one book in his life and it was written by Marilyn Manson :lol2: To be fair, he is dyslexic and after issues with his horrid family he was forced to drop out of school and start working. He just has no interest in it and I am fine with that. He will still discuss the books I am reading with me and if there is a movie adaptation he will watch it with me and then ask me questions about how it compares. Whenever we have a sitter for our toddler son, part of our date day/night is him taking me to the bookstore...he usually just looks through all the comics. I have plenty of friends that read so I feel fulfilled in my need to have book discussions. There is just so much that I love about him that the fact that he doesn't read is a non issue.
hannah16
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by hannah16 »

I have a boyfriend of one year, and I still beg to read with him all the time...I just don't think he listens.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Well I consider myself a bookworm and somehow I ended up with my other half not liking to read. However, he doesn't mind that I read. I try to be respectful and read on my own time. I have learned to read in the couple of evenings I have free to myself. During the week I allow an hour in the evenings to read to help relax after a long day of work. When we go camping in the summer I send him off to go enjoy his hobby so that I can sit by the creek to read which is my favorite thing to do. I'm telling you we have been together for years, so it can work.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
LindaBloodworth

Post by LindaBloodworth »

I honestly wouldn't be able to do it. I'm glad my husband enjoys books as much as I do.
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by Ginya »

It seems that most of the guys I've dated haven't been big readers and that might seem weird since I am always reading something (often multiple somethings) at all times. It's my favorite thing to do when stressed and as long as they know to leave me alone when I'm buried in a book it usually works out, especially if they listen with a grin when I rant about what I'm reading. It's actually kind of nice, because I can't run the risk of spoiling something when I know they won't read it anyway. We usually wind up learning new things from each other when we have different tastes in hobbies.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
RavenRoth
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Currently Reading: Dark Slayer
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by RavenRoth »

I do and it doesn't bother me unless he gets onto me about buying more books. Deal with it sucker. :P
BENTLEY8789
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bentley8789.html

Post by BENTLEY8789 »

I absolutley can. My current boyfriend is more of a movie person although he is very enthusiastic about asking about my current reads.
Snoop1911

Post by Snoop1911 »

My wife isn't an avid reader and it used to frustrate me until I found a genre that she was interested in. She still doesn't read much, but she's more receptive when I suggest a new book. So yes I can date someone who doesn't read, but I find joy in that I helped her discover it's not so bad.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”