Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TheRoo13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by TheRoo13 »

I myself am in a long term relationship with a man that doesn't read. I have known him for 8 years. At first I thought I couldn't do it, because I am such a avid reader. But I have come to realize it doesn't bother me like I thought it would. He understands I love books and love to read, and he accepts it and of course doesn't mind at all. Plus we have so much other stuff in common (like gaming and food, etc...) that we always have tons of other things to talk about. And even though he doesn't read, he is always more than happy to sit and listen to me talk about a book I am reading and ask me questions about it.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

Not only did I date a guy who doesn't read books, I married him almost 14 years ago.

I've always loved to read and write and he's quite tolerant of it. Obviously we don't have a lot of literary conversations but when I read something in a book that makes me think, I'll ask him about it. For instance, after reading the book, "The Wives of Henry Oades", I asked him if he thought it was possible for a man to love two women at the same time. He said no without even thinking about it. Other philosophical conversations go much the same way if he chooses to answer at all.

My husband is a brilliant man and I'm not being facetious. He reads a lot and is well-informed about a myriad of issues and is talented in a lot of ways. He just chooses not to read books. I don't totally understand it because when I went to college, I was an English major with a Literature minor. I've taken creative writing courses. I've entered a writing a contest or two, etc. He gets me, I guess and it's all good because as much as he respects what I do, I respect what he does, too. I don't want to change him and he doesn't want to change me.

And just to add to the mix a little, he bought me an eReader one year for Mother's Day. It has turned into the holy grail. Nobody messes with the reader unless the want trouble. He's even replaced the battery in it for me which was a bigger job than I anticipated. Yeah, I think the guy gets me. :)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

khudecek wrote: For instance, after reading the book, "The Wives of Henry Oades", I asked him if he thought it was possible for a man to love two women at the same time. He said no without even thinking about it.
That is the cutest thing I have ever heard!
E-Frapp
Favorite Author: Hemingway - King
Favorite Book: A Moveable Feast
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-frapp.html

Post by E-Frapp »

Tried once and it was a disaster. That kind of mindset tends to apply to more than just reading and doesn't work for me. Glad I found someone who will discuss books with me!
Where will you be in a year?
id123456789
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-id123456789.html

Post by id123456789 »

Well... I really wouldn't care if the person I date reads or not... I would try to encourage my date to READ!!

P.S- My name means READ :)
-Iqra
atalayamonia 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atalayamonia-18.html

Post by atalayamonia 18 »

I don't think I could date a person who doesn't like to read. I talk about books all the time. I follow my favorite authors. I count down the hours till the next books in series I'm reading comes out. I'm try to read as much as I can. Books are my life. A guy who doesn't like to read and me would have nothing to talk about.
jcnl0618

Post by jcnl0618 »

I married a man that does not really read. I think in the 6 years I have known him, he has read about 3 books. I think he is a little embarrassed because he reads westerns. Its pretty bad to say but before E-Readers the most I read was the menu. Now, I always have some electronic device in my face reading and he is very patient with it. I tell him about the books I read and will read him the parts that made me laugh or cry out loud. I guess I really embraced the technology and LOVE IT while he is good with his video games.
ladiibug

Post by ladiibug »

Yes, I could and actually I am. Its been 4 years now. He doesn't read a book unless its his medical book for school. But even though I read a lot he will sit there and listen to what I have to say about the book. But if its something that is very interesting he might just read it after I do.
lovablegeek123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovablegeek123.html

Post by lovablegeek123 »

You know, I think that I could. I feel like if he appreciates that I like something different than him that would be enough for me. If he hated that I read, spend hours in libraries and Barnes and Noble then yeah he'd have to go.
-Hannah
bookreaderrme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreaderrme.html

Post by bookreaderrme »

My husband of over 19 years doesn't read much. He used to read more but not in the last few years. He finds reading to be a waste of time, but he'd rather sleep in front of a TV. Not my idea of fun! My escape after a long day at work is settling in with a good book. I even catch myself using the down time between loads of laundry with my Kindle in my hand.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html

Post by khudecek »

bookreaderrme wrote:My husband of over 19 years doesn't read much. He used to read more but not in the last few years. He finds reading to be a waste of time, but he'd rather sleep in front of a TV. Not my idea of fun! My escape after a long day at work is settling in with a good book. I even catch myself using the down time between loads of laundry with my Kindle in my hand.
We go for days without ever turning on a TV. I get really tired of listening to it and I find watching it to be a total waste of brain cells, although I did enjoy watching Alice Cooper this last weekend. That was the first time in eons that I'd actually sat down and watched something. But during commercials, I'd read some of the book I was reading while I muted the TV.

My husband doesn't read books, either but he reads a lot of news and works all the time so I can't cast stones at the guy.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

OH boy. I get asked the question all the time of why I am dating someone who doesn't read very much, so this is a question that is one of my favorites to answer. I would date someone who doesn't read mainly because I don't have to share my books with them(:
It can kind of be my hobby. I have things that I specifically do with my boyfriend, and I have always found reading kind of like a sacred thing to me-NO ONE bothers me when I am reading. I'm not saying that I don't have a lot of book friends, because I do. I just find it as a nice change, and it is something that I have that is my own. I would also date a reader, though, for many other reasons, which won't be defined in this post.
Lynae-5895

Post by Lynae-5895 »

I'm currently dating a man who doesn't read and it can be quite frustrating at times. I've given him book recommendations and even bought books for him, yet I have never seen him pick one up. My only consolation is that he listens to audiobooks, so even though it isn't really the same, we can still discuss certain books or authors. He actually just finished The Alchemist and I think I'll have to pick it up again because it has come up in conversation a few times but it has been years since I last read it. He really enjoys it though, so maybe I'll make a reader of him yet ;)
octoberlillies

Post by octoberlillies »

NO! Reading is so important to me. It is something I value and I would only want to date someone who shared my passion.
tashinam18
Favorite Author: Shannon Hale
Favorite Book: Goose Girl
Currently Reading: The Iron King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashinam18.html
fav_author_id: 4972

Post by tashinam18 »

I think I'd be fine with it as long as they were still Intelligent and kind.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”