Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Lady Countryrose »

I did and married him. The problem was, he couldn't find a book the would hold his attention long enough to want to read. Until recently, he found Rick Riordan's Kane series. He read all three books within a month and he is looking for more. I never thought I would enjoy seeing him read.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

My boyfriend hasn't read a book in approximately 8 years and doesn't care to change that. It does kind of bother me that we don't have something that is so important and fundamental to me in common, but I kind of look at it as a challenge to see if I can find a book he wants to read! So I tell him all about every book I read.
thewaryouknow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by thewaryouknow »

In a few words, not for long.
BookWormMommy
Currently Reading: The Chemist
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormmommy.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by BookWormMommy »

No, but my husband and I started off as friends with a love of the same books. We would trade and then talk about them. Avid reading, intelligence, and being interesting are all intertwined qualities for me.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I'd have no problem dating someone who doesn't read, so long as they don't look down on reading. Not interesting in dating someone who thinks reading is something to be ashamed of. I do prefer guys who are at least intellectually curious, though.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I don't think that I could date someone who does not read because there would be an empty void in our conversations. Books transport you to different places and expand your knowledge about a particular subject.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Rattusv
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rattusv »

Sure. Who knows they might just try to enjoy reading once they experience how much I love reading.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Yes, but the person has to understand that reading is my hobby and give me time and space for that. I can't stand somebody that gets irritated when I need a quiet time with my book.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Bulabo
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bulabo.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Bulabo »

I couldn't. It would be so boring, because although you can speak of other things, reading makes a person more interesting by far
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
tnv456
Currently Reading: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tnv456.html

Post by tnv456 »

I think that I could, but they would have to be able to accept that I am going to talk to them about books that I'm currently reading, have read, or want to read. I think that as long as they're willing to listen to my rants and comfort me when I am suffering from a book hangover, then it would be find.
Although, I would prefer it if they were an avid reader. However, I know that book readers are becoming more and more rare these days, so I think of the enjoyment of reading as a bonus in men, not a necessity.
AlexisFerguson
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexisferguson.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by AlexisFerguson »

I don't think I could. Usually, people that chose not to read demean it in some way, and I couldn't love someone that doesn't see the value in the things I love to do. I'd love to be able to talk about my favorite books, and what those books did for me, and recommend them to another.

I'd also like to know that they're striving to broaden their perspectives by reading.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
zerofire2905

Post by zerofire2905 »

I can't. He should at least show some respect to books and knowledge, that's what I think.
I can't stand seeing a guy that only plays video game and sleeps everyday!
Mickiee
Currently Reading: Laiden's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Mickiee »

I did actually! 30years ago. It was a weird bone of contention because he didn't understand my "weird"obsession of dragging around these huge books everywhere and sitting for hours buried in the stories. And worst! The grieving at the end of a fantastic book! Ha!
But I can happily say, we have been married for 26 years, he has invested more money than he knows in books, e-readers, tablets and apps to make his wife happy! And best of all? He reads too now! ??
Peterpanreads
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterpanreads.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Peterpanreads »

It's completely fine for me. I read because it's something I love to do, and I can't hold it against other people if they have somethings else they'd rather do than read.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Yes I could as long as they understand how much I like to read and like that about me. I don't expect anyone I date to have the exact same interests as me so long as they treat me well. My dad doesn't read that much, but my mom likes to read and it hasn't harmed their relationship in anyway.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”