Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
caelamb
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caelamb.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by caelamb »

Belchman wrote:I could never date someone who doesn't read. I actually had a chance to have a one night stand with someone, but she didn't have any books in her room so I left. I was thinking of that Andy Warhol quote that is something like: "If you go home with someone and they don't have any books, don't sleep with them." Very true.
Not that I condone one night hookups, but perhaps she had a tablet?
Kathe
Favorite Author: Not Sure
Favorite Book: Little Big by John Crowley
Currently Reading: Ghost Story by Peter Straub
fav_author_id: 9087

Post by Kathe »

caelamb wrote:
Belchman wrote:I could never date someone who doesn't read. I actually had a chance to have a one night stand with someone, but she didn't have any books in her room so I left. I was thinking of that Andy Warhol quote that is something like: "If you go home with someone and they don't have any books, don't sleep with them." Very true.
I'm just trying to figure out how books are going to make a one-night stand any better. :?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Kathe wrote:
caelamb wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out how books are going to make a one-night stand any better. :?
Kama sutra?
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

For a one-night stand, I dont think discussing books would be a top priority. Maybe Fanny Hill or Putting the Devil Into Hell.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Cupids_Psyche

Post by Cupids_Psyche »

Good for you!
HolmesGirl221b

Post by HolmesGirl221b »

Oh my goodness, would this be a challenge to me ..! But not in finding it hard to be able to discuss books, but in getting them interested in something they have never wanted to do before.
I would start them off with the classics. Perhaps, To Kill a Mockingbird or Catcher in the Rye. I can't believe that once someone starts to become so engrossed in the characters, plot and setting of a novel, they would find it easy not finish. Or at least I hope not. Then, once the book is read, a lively discussion would ensue.
It may be, that they may not find literature to be of any interest whatsoever in their life, no matter how strange it might seem to me. But, tenacious as ever, I would certainly do my best to show just how much they are missing, by not being part of the great world of books. But in the end, it's down to choice, and everyone is entitled to their own passions and interests in life. And they just might have a hobby or interest that I haven't even thought of trying myself.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

HolmesGirl221b wrote:... I would start them off with the classics. Perhaps, To Kill a Mockingbird or Catcher in the Rye...
If any woman invites me to a one-night stand, and I find that she has either of those ridiculous pretentious half-baked excuses for novels, let alone both, I shall walk out in disgust!

(After making use of her body, and after letting her cook me breakfast, of course!)
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
HolmesGirl221b

Post by HolmesGirl221b »

Half baked novels? I hardly think so. As for one nights stands - you would be so lucky!
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

HolmesGirl221b wrote:Half baked novels? I hardly think so...
OK. Itcher in the Rye has no discernible plot. To judge by the rest of the book, if it did have a plot then the author would manage to make it boring.

To Kill a Mock Turtle had the very worst of authors for a law story. Someone who studied law at college unsuccessfully and never practiced. The law in the story is as inaccurate as in a Jeffrey Archer novel. At least Jeffrey Archer had been involved in a couple of major trials before his ridiculous attempts to portray courtroom drama in fiction.

HolmesGirl221b wrote:... As for one nights stands - you would be so lucky!
Well, I didn't win the lottery, so I deserve a bit of other luck to compensate! :D
HolmesGirl221b

Post by HolmesGirl221b »

Fair enough ..! :) But out of interest, I did read that the film's trial mirrored actual trials that occurred int the 1930's and 50's: the 1931 Scottsboro case and the 1955 Emmett Case - and the book made a blatant statement about the current events that had occurred and were continuing to occur in the country, as Lee wrote the novel during the beginning of the Civil Rights era from about 55 to 58.
Interesting to say, Lee entered law school, but left one semester short of receiving a law degree. Maybe if she had stayed on?! :lol:
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

HolmesGirl221b wrote: ... I did read that the film's trial mirrored actual trials that occurred int the 1930's and 50's: the 1931 Scottsboro case and the 1955 Emmett Case...
Well, the film's promoters would say that, wouldn't they?

The Alabama Scottsboro Boys case's appeals hinged on an all-white jury convicting black boys, and the suspicion that this led to an unfair trial. I am quite convinced that an all-black jury would have returned the same verdict, on the evidence given at the first trial!

The Mississippi Emmett Till case centered on an all-white jury acquitting two white defendants for allegedly murdering a black boy. The attorney for the defendants argued to the jury: "Your fathers will turn over in their graves if [the two white defendants were convicted] and I'm sure that every last Anglo-Saxon one of you has the courage to free these men in the face of that [non-Mississippi] pressure." I would have argued on different, and less controversial grounds. My own argument would have been that the corpus delicti was so mutilated that Emmett Till's mother could not identify the corpse as her son. There have been cases in the past where innocent defendants were hanged for murder, and the "victim" was later found alive and well.

HolmesGirl221b wrote: ... the book made a blatant statement about the current events that had occurred and were continuing to occur in the country, as Lee wrote the novel during the beginning of the Civil Rights era from about 55 to 58...
And that, of course, was why the book was so popular. Civil Rights was a big thing with pinko liberals, and there was a major overlap between liberals and the reading classes. And the American public do love their courtroom dramas!

In real life, the very last place to find a courtroom drama is in a courtroom!

:shock: And you have really done me a favor by starting this line of discussion! I was going to quote you one of my poems that I wrote in Court (thereby not necessarily doing you a favor in return!) But I've found that I can't read it any more. Since I upgraded my computer and software, my poetry is now in an incompatible format. :shock:

I'd better sort that out double-quick. Then I had better upload my poetry to my website, so that it can never be lost to posterity. (And then I'll post you a link to my website. And then Scott, this forum's admin, will moan at me for dropping links to my own website, and offer to sell me advertising space instead. He should be so lucky!)

HolmesGirl221b wrote: ... Lee entered law school, but left one semester short of receiving a law degree...
Well, call me nasty old Mr Cynical if you like, but why would a successful student quit college just before her finals? I would have said, "Lee entered law school, but left one semester short of abysmally failing her law degree"! :D
HolmesGirl221b

Post by HolmesGirl221b »

Haha - all right, I'll look forward to your link ..!
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

Aha. I've found a limited answer!

My wife, who does little reading, is a dog lover. One of the books I'm currently reading (The Call of the Wild by Jack London), is perfect. I read it to her.
Token conservative
brad786
Favorite Book: The Midnights Children

Post by brad786 »

I am not particular about the idea that my partner should be a avid reader. It is up to them.
cuteyface23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cuteyface23.html

Post by cuteyface23 »

yes i would because im not judgemental

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”