Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
porsha
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-porsha.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by porsha »

I personally could not date someone who is not a reader. The reason why is because it would be warning sign that this person is lazy and not a very intelligent person. Reading is so very important :)
mochaloveme
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mochaloveme.html

Post by mochaloveme »

I am married to a person who does not read however it does not affect our relationship in any way. While he doesn't read I don't do sports so we are even!
missabbyjean5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missabbyjean5.html

Post by missabbyjean5 »

That's a tough question! They probably wouldn't need to read as much as I do but if they never read at all I don't think it would work :(
amanda_siegrist

Post by amanda_siegrist »

Yes. My husband reads occasionally and not the same stuff as me, so it's like he doesn't read in me eyes because we can't talk about what we are reading to each other! I like romance and he likes sci-fi stuff or fantasy. He plays his music more than he reads anyway.
trabernathy29
Currently Reading: Cherry Lane
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trabernathy29.html
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by trabernathy29 »

I agree with memory, I can easily bury my head in a book while he plays video games or watch whatever he wants on tv. At the end of the day if we are in the same room, technically we are spending time together. I am also up for trying different things so a none book reader could potentially bring some interesting things into the relationship. As long as both people have and keep an open mind, it could potentially work.
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Amers
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amers.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Amers »

I have dated people who don't read usually the relationship dies p
Out because they dont understand my love of reading..it is a must for me daily.
4bcews

Post by 4bcews »

I have been married to a man that does not read for twenty two years. I found that while it's difficult not to be able to share a part of yourself that you love so much such as reading, it can also be a nice break from the monotony of regular day-to-day conversation when you have an interest that the person you share your life with does not. I love when he asks me what I'm reading and I get to tell him all about it from my point of view. On occasion when a book I've read is made into a movie he will mentioned "didn't you read the book we should go see the movie it sounded interesting."
jbeattie93

Post by jbeattie93 »

Yes! They would have to have another hobby that kept them thinking and passionate about something. Although I would prefer someone who reads so we could discuss books and make suggestions to one another... but really, I don't understand people who don't read.
Ashley3255
Currently Reading: wild
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley3255.html

Post by Ashley3255 »

I honestly don't think I could do it. A lot of my conversations revolve around books. If they don't read, then they have to at least understand and accept the fact that reading is one of my favorite hobbies. If they can't, then goodbye, boyfriend.
sasharenee11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasharenee11.html

Post by sasharenee11 »

I am with someone who doesn't care to read. Not even instructions! Yes, I'm with one of those men! Even though he doesn't read, I know he's highly intelligent. He's a man who would rather go out and experience life instead of buying his nose into a book. Do I agree, to an extent. So while he's out fishing I'm on the blanket soaking up the sun in a book. I love the difference it evens our relationship out. My other half will listen to me trying to figure out the plot or who did what! If he was in a book half as much as myself. I would find the us I found to love would fall flat!
Talethea
Currently Reading: The Valcourt Heiress
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talethea.html

Post by Talethea »

I can. I did. I married him. :) My love for books is something my husband has always known about. He reads sometimes. Not usually for fun. My reading and his... well, not reading is not an issue for us. The only time it becomes an issue is when I'm trying to read and he is in the mood to chat. Sometimes I'll stop and talk to him. Other times he'll get the picture and leave me alone. It's a compromise. We have both found a way to make it work.
beknlee

Post by beknlee »

I'm married to someone who doesn't read. I find it frustrating and sad. She misses so much!! There us nothing better than to escape into someone else's words.
Rabidwerewolfie
Favorite Author: Kirstin Bakis
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rabidwerewolfie »

I grew up in a household where my mother loved to read and often would encourage it in me.
My father, while he never discouraged me from reading, never found a point to it himself. He is a BRILLIANT man and can talk to anyone for hours on end. So if I met someone like him, I don't think their lack of reading would necessarily limit our topics of conversation.
But my books are very important to me, and so is the time I spend with my nose stuck in one, so at the very least, they would have to be respectful of my love of both. As long as that respect is there, I see no reason why we couldn't be compatible in many other ways.
So, yes. I suppose I could (and have) date someone that didn't enjoy reading.
He would have followed her to hell itself if she'd ever taken mind to go there. - Angel of the Abyss (Wolfcaller Chronicles)
Kbashara
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbashara.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kbashara »

I actually do date someone who doesn't enjoy reading and we have a very nice little system. He enjoys playing video games and I'll read while he does. We still get to spend time together but we don't make a big deal about our different hobbies. We found a way that works for us and we're happy!
mallyview7
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallyview7.html

Post by mallyview7 »

The love of my life doesn't read much at all, unless you count the news! But it doesn't bother me, he watches tv or plays video games and winds down after work while I read. He tries not to interrupt me and I try not to bombard him with what is happening with my fictional characters.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”