Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by AA1495 »

I think so. I'd go by the overall personality :)
bethfins82
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bethfins82 »

I definitely could! Actually, I turned my now husband into a reader when we were dating. Now he reads as much as I do! Lol
shelleyface
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelleyface.html

Post by shelleyface »

Yes, but he better have some other interests and he needs to be ok with me talking about the books I'm reading.
booklover12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover12.html

Post by booklover12 »

Yes I think I could, as long as they accepted that I love to read!
claudia-2
Currently Reading: A Police Action
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by claudia-2 »

Hello, and to answer your question, if I was single I could not date someone who doesn't read. I would be lost without a book to read and I am highly suspicious of someone who doesn't love to read (kidding)! Reading requires a bit of thought and attention to detail and I think people who don't take the time to read also don't take the time that is required in other parts of their life for career planning, thoughtful gift giving, creative time, vacations, relationships, cooking up a great meal, etc., and the list goes on!! :techie-studyinggray:
FangirlsAhead
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fangirlsahead.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by FangirlsAhead »

I could, but it'd be rough. We'd have to have almost everything else in common for me to consider dating him. Because people who don't read are just ... weird!
dontbeordinary
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dontbeordinary.html

Post by dontbeordinary »

I think it is wonderful to have a love of reading in common. My husband & I both love bookstores and libraries. We have taken our three kids to the library since they were infants. It is a good thing to share but I know I definitely love to read more than he does. I think he doesn't feel he has as much time to read as he did before.
Yelitzag08
Currently Reading: DIABLO NIGHTS
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yelitzag08.html
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary

Post by Yelitzag08 »

I actually am dating someone that is not a reader. He does read articles online everyday but not books. I don't have a problem with him not being a reader because we have very similar taste in movies, shows, and music. I am a painter so I wouldn't want to be with someone that doesn't have an appreciation for art.
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary
RebeccaAIC
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaaic.html

Post by RebeccaAIC »

I've been reading since before I started kindergarten, my husband had never read a whole book when we got got together (in our 30s)....it kinda freaked me out! :) In the 5 years we've been together, he slowly started picking books up at the bookstores I was dragging him too and one day, he decided to buy one. I almost fell over from shock! Since then, he's found a genre that he loves and now reads more than I do.
Akwescott8715
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akwescott8715.html

Post by Akwescott8715 »

Yup. I'm married to someone who doesn't read and it's perfectly fine. His cell phone is glued to his hand so I get plenty of reading time! Haha!!
Kaciekarl

Post by Kaciekarl »

I actually date a guy who does not read at all. Every once in a while it seems to be problem, like in the winter when I want to cuddle up and read a good book, and he wants to go out and do things. For the most part though, we have a normal relationship. He is a trooper when I talk about books, he will let me explain the entire thing and will even ask me questions. In all honesty, I like reading my book, and then watching the movie with him! I totally make comments like "that didn't happen in the book!" or "it's not supposed to end this way!" He will always let me talk about the books I am reading and supports my hobby even if it's not his! :D :D :D
nicolewood718
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolewood718.html
Reading Device: B00FEE7B1I

Post by nicolewood718 »

My boyfriend doesn't read and it doesn't bother me at all. He helps me find books at the library and is usually sleeping next to me when I'm reading my Kindle at night. I have friends who read and we share books.
sheri_wilson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheri-wilson.html

Post by sheri_wilson »

I once dated a man who didn't read. I soon found it was because he couldn't. I was so angry. NO one should be without the gift of reading. I convinced him to let me teach him. The first book he read by himself was a childrens' dinosaur book. I cried like a baby!
I still see him now and then. He picked up a King James version bible, flipped through it and began reading. He then explained to me in plain English what he'd just read. I cried again. For me, that seemed like the ultimate test.
Please be careful what opinions you form about those who don't read. It could be they can't because no one took the time or effort to teach them.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I've been married to a non reader (is able to read but doesn't read for pleasure) for over 20 years. We have lots of different interests and I think it works fine for us. Some things we enjoy together and some things we enjoy on our own.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
chgo919

Post by chgo919 »

Interesting topic and easy answer: NO. In fact, I can't help but peruse the bookshelf of any person when I am in his or her home. It gives me a much clearer idea of who they really are.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”