Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Fighting_lotus
Currently Reading: The Fiery Cross
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fighting-lotus.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Fighting_lotus »

I'm currently in a relationship with a guy who isn't a big reader. We connect over different things , like movies , video games , T.V. shows , music , and Art . It just really depends on the person and what they are into . The real question is can you be in a relationship with someone who dislikes your favorite genre or reversed.
LauraBeth0625
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurabeth0625.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LauraBeth0625 »

I am married to someone that does not read books. He likes to read his favorite magazines and he is required to read reports and such like paperwork at work. As long as he doesn't mind my personal library taking up space in our house, I am good to go.
hawkruse87
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkruse87.html

Post by hawkruse87 »

I don't think it would bother me if they didn't read, but I would expect them to respect my choice to read and respect my time while I am reading. I would also try to get them to try reading one book a month and see how they like it. I think it is a very good hobby to have and helps expand your mind. I like to think that if people try reading even one book and they enjoy it, they will begin reading more often.
_hbanga
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Perfect Chemistry</a>
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hbanga.html

Post by _hbanga »

I think I could, everyone has their own interests and hobbies, Reading is one of mine and it gives us something to talk about. We may even try out each others interests once in a while.
DeliriumReader
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deliriumreader.html

Post by DeliriumReader »

Absolutely not. The few relationships I have been in, the guys read books in the beginning to win me over. However, the minute I realized they weren't really readers, I was out the door. You must be a reader to date me.
Madibookishqueen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madibookishqueen.html

Post by Madibookishqueen »

If they don't read at all and don't like to, then definitely not. It's different if they like to and try but are stressed for time
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I married by husband knowing full well he hated reading, hell he turned down two different full ride scholarships because he didn't want to have to go to school anymore. But he fully and completely support my reading addiction and will listen if I need to rant about a book, although he has no idea what I am talking about he is willing to listen... So it works for us :)
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I have dated people in the past who did not read, and I always found it a bit challenging, especially if it is a person who insists on watching television all of the time. It would be difficult because I wanted those quiet moments when I could curl up with a good book and become engrossed in whatever world I was in. My husband enjoys comics and graphic novels more than the traditional book. When we started dating over three years ago, he was reading John Dies in the End....he has never finished the book.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
melanieharris14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanieharris14.html

Post by melanieharris14 »

I'm married to a man who refuses to read, It can be very difficult at times, there are many nights that he just doesn't understand "I just need to finish this book" "or let me finish this chapter and I'll come to bed" I'm not sure about most, but I'm currently a stay at home mother now and I baby sit full time so the time I get to set down and read is my relaxing time, time to lose myself in a book for hours where I have finished many books in one setting its my peace away from everything, But you just have to remember to take time for your husband and children especially when your husband feels your more worried about your book husband, boyfriend or significant other.
zacamitzin33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zacamitzin33.html

Post by zacamitzin33 »

I could. It wouldn't be so fun to share books with then though but I'd be willing to give it a chance
The_book_life87

Post by The_book_life87 »

I have, and though it's difficult, especially since I have a very deep love for books, the right person can make it easier. I try not to judge, but I always make it well known that books are a big part of my life.
summer
Currently Reading: Welcome to Redemption Series Books 1-6
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by summer »

I'm married to someone that's not big on reading. He doesn't mind me reading as long as I still spend time with him. ?
sarahmeeks
Currently Reading: Outside The Ropes
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarahmeeks »

Nope, my future husband will have to be into comics and books. I feel like there wouldn't be much to talk about if we didn't share the same passions. Just my thoughts on it.
snowflake7411
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake7411.html

Post by snowflake7411 »

I have dated someone who didn't read, and I have to say that didn't work out. He never understood that when I wanted to read that I would do it for hours and not want to be interrupted. Now, if a guy understood that, then maybe I would still date them, but unlikely. I would like to date someone to talk about books with and understand my love for them. They wouldn't have to read a lot but every now and then would be nice.
CBullard14
Currently Reading: After You
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by CBullard14 »

My husband doesn't read for entertainment often. If he does read it is purely work related, magazines, sports related, for basic facts. He is full of random facts that he finds and reads about, but I have never seen him open and read a book just for fun since college. Some people just don't enjoy reading a real book anymore, just facts and tidbits.
CB

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”