Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
otiprepei
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otiprepei.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by otiprepei »

She must be realy good looking :-)
Book_lovin_mama32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lovin-mama32.html

Post by Book_lovin_mama32 »

Can I be honest? One of my romantic fantasies is to read a book together. Weather that be in person or over the phone nightly. So no I won't date any more guys who do not read.
Jonos
Currently Reading: The 6th Extinction
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jonos »

Sure. I think reading is great and a wonderful way to keep your brain active, but it's not a make it or break it deal for me. I would hope we had many other things in common that we could talk about.
Dorothy Hinds
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorothy-hinds.html

Post by Dorothy Hinds »

Sure, I also sew and do beadwork but I would not expect a prospective boyfriend to do those things. I also would not like to be chosen or not because of whether or not I do things that he likes....hunting, fishing, etc....
Mistyrainbowrose
Currently Reading: Revealed

Post by Mistyrainbowrose »

Could you date someone who doesn't read?
Probably not. My husband is a frequent reader, as I am. I don't understand people who don't like to read books. People who like to read are different in many aspects from those who have no interest in books.
Emmerz8021
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmerz8021.html

Post by Emmerz8021 »

I am a very avid reader, and I have actually *gasp* MARRIED a man who doesn't read for pleasure. He will read maybe 2-3 books per year, as I am the sort of person who reads 2-3 books per WEEK. Believe it or not, we do manage to find other things to talk about. Reading is one of my interests, and I can talk to him about wonderful books that I am reading, but he just really has no interest in reading them. We make it work anyway. Opposites attract and all that? Reading is an escape for me - something I do alone to unwind from the day, so sometimes it is nice to have something that is just for me.
bookloverInCBOR

Post by bookloverInCBOR »

I can, have, and have married someone in this category. He is super active and prefers DOING to reading. The key, in my humble opinion, is that he has respect for my preference to curl up with a book rather than work on chopping wood or going for a jog. He accepts that there are times that I will be mentally far, far away, curled up next to the window on our couch and that housework will not get done. And THAT is why we work - at least in respect to reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
leahk13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leahk13.html

Post by leahk13 »

My husband doesn't read and I still love him. Everyone is different and has different hobbies. He understands that I love to read and need to read and lets me read whenever I grab for a book or my Kindle.
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

I couldn't. Reading is such a big part of my life that it would be just wrong to do. Also my room is filled with books and every good discussion ends up about talking about a certain book.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Kell1331
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kell1331.html

Post by Kell1331 »

I actually married a "non reader", my husband is a very outdoorsy person and does not read much more than manuals. I am able to tell him about the books I am reading and discuss different thoughts I am struggling with, but mostly I reach out to some of my very close friends who read constantly just as I do.
Christine Penny
Currently Reading: Bad Medicine
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-penny.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christine Penny »

I could date someone who didn't read books... but I couldn't go further than that in a relationship... for marriage someone would have to be more learned than me and I don't mean in the video realm lol... I would want someone who loves learning and reading as much as I do even if we enjoyed totally different genres. On the other hand, would I date someone who just read trade books? Hmmm, that is a different question in itself. Like if all he read was engineering books he would be a very boring soul.
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

No, he doesn't HAVE to read. I'm looking for a guy who will respect my hobbies and at least pretend to be interested when I gush about them. In return, I'll do the same for his hobbies. To me, a relationship where both people like all the same things would be boring.
fhenixx_13
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fhenixx-13.html

Post by fhenixx_13 »

I have. Its hard though. Ive taken my books on roadtrips but they just want to talk...umm hello im reading leave me alone
Hinarcia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hinarcia.html

Post by Hinarcia »

I can. I'm a gamer he is one. I probably couldn't date someone who doesn't like to game, but I can also read and have time for it. He doesn't mind that I'm reading so. when I'm reading he is gaming.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Sure, if they have a quiet hobby of their own to do while I'm reading!
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”