Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Aly_Mali
Currently Reading: Stolen
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aly-mali.html
Latest Review: "Dedecus" by Kathrine Webb

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Aly_Mali »

I cannot imagine dating anyone who doesn't read. What do they know? What do you even talk about with them? What can they possibly do in their free time?!
Latest Review: "Dedecus" by Kathrine Webb
wandavoy
Currently Reading: Athenticity:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by wandavoy »

Actually, I did. I married someone like this. That was a big, big mistake. I'm no longer married to him.
chibecan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibecan.html

Post by chibecan »

Yes. why do I say so?
Simple.Love is blind. I mean true love. Love is the only thing that makes you to sacrifice any thing to keep it.
jokersw1ld
Currently Reading: Moby Dick
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by jokersw1ld »

It would be hard to date someone who is not up to current events happening in this world.
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

Yes i can and does.
Nomis_Reads
Currently Reading: Snatchers: Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomis-reads.html

Post by Nomis_Reads »

I've dated readers and non-readers, and while I prefer readers, I'm ok as long as they don't mind the amount of time I spend with my nose in a book (or whichever e-reader I'm using at
any given time). I've actually had someone get jealous of my reading habit, and that one obviously didn't work out. Lol
Margoth90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-margoth90.html

Post by Margoth90 »

Yes! I love to read, there's something so personal to me about it. It's my escape, my alone time. My husband doesn't read very much, and not any fiction, and I like it that way. ?
Tabitha_Goulart
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabitha-goulart.html

Post by Tabitha_Goulart »

I not only dated someone who does not read (very much), but I married him.

My husband gets frustrated with how long it takes him to read a book, so he doesn't read very much. He also likes non-fiction books or biographies. While I like those, I prefer fiction.

I have found away around this though. My husband and I take an hour out of a day a few times a week to read a couple of chapters of a book he chooses aloud. This has helped me to appreciate my husband's preferences and learn something new.

-Tabitha
ameno8907
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ameno8907.html

Post by ameno8907 »

My best friend and boyfriend does not read. I have known him for over 6 years and have been dating him for almost 3. The thing is that when I start talking about my books I tend to go on rants and give way too many details. When I was at home with family who read they would always interrupt me with their own opinions on the book or correct me on minor details or be too invested in their own books. The fact that my boyfriend doesn't read means that I can rant about my books and he is totally willing to listen because he can hear the story without having to read the whole book and I have someone who isn't going to fight me on my rants.
cheryltkn
Currently Reading: Dark Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltkn.html
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin

Post by cheryltkn »

I belong to a popular dating site, (not Match) and one of the things I look at on the profile is whether or not they like reading. It may not stop me from sending a flirt if everything else is good but It is one of the things I look at to help me decide. I would hope that anyone I choose to get to know would have at least some appreciation of reading.
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
Vivisbooks
Currently Reading: Shadow Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivisbooks.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Vivisbooks »

Ive done it before. It is possible for me, but it is quite frustraiting at times.
Hillary earl 5150

Post by Hillary earl 5150 »

I am married to my husband of 11 years and the only things he reads is car and computer news. I have reading since i was old enough to read a books . they have heped me get through hard times when i was growing up as a child. we have other things to talk about other then books. plus he loves the fact i love reading and talking with everyone about books. i think that all depends on who you want in dating or marriage things works for the both of you.
mar_mendes
Currently Reading: Purity
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-mendes.html
Latest Review: "Quorum" by Sean Buckley

Post by mar_mendes »

I did to a guy who only read the newspaper or something like that. But he drove me to the library so it was ok :D
Latest Review: "Quorum" by Sean Buckley
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I absolutely could not. What would we discuss? Books are one of the best common grounds.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Tiger33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiger33.html

Post by Tiger33 »

Maybe. They would have to have a very good personality.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”