Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MsChisholm
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschisholm.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by MsChisholm »

I love to read, however I have been married to my husband for 20 years and I cannot remember a time when he has read a book.
jennj
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennj.html

Post by jennj »

I think I could, however, I have never had to find out!
Amber the bookworm
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-the-bookworm.html

Post by Amber the bookworm »

I'm an avid reader. While my husband does enjoy reading books on certain subjects, he is no where addicted to reading like myself. Although I wouldn't mind having him be into the same books and reading as much as me, he has his things he likes to do and I have mine. We are able to spend time alone doing our own things and come together and enjoy other activities together.
tnrose84

Post by tnrose84 »

Ive been a big reader since I was about 4 years old and my husband had never read a book other than what they force you to read in school. Once we realized non-fiction was the key for him, the books started rolling out of him in full force. Now he actually really enjoys it.
aclark02
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aclark02.html

Post by aclark02 »

I could, but it'd be much more difficult than dating someone who does. They'd definitely have to understand and respect when I go off on tangents about the books I've been reading haha.
tiffanynettles
Favorite Author: Tami Hoad
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanynettles.html
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW

Post by tiffanynettles »

I could not imagine trying to date a guy who doesn't like to read. Reading is one of my biggest passions and not being able to share that with the person I was dating would seem ridiculous. Thankfully, I manages to marry a man who is also an avid reader.
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW
janao86
Currently Reading: The Bad Place
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janao86.html

Post by janao86 »

Yes, its not a deal breaker for me if my significant other doesn't read. It is a hobby for me, that I enjoy doing on my downtime when I am not spending time with him. Reading for me is a stress reliever for me
OnCloudCassie
Favorite Author: Myles Munroe
Currently Reading: Ladies Night
Bookshelf Size: 36
fav_author_id: 14159

Post by OnCloudCassie »

Personally, I wouldn't..
GoT4ever
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-got4ever.html

Post by GoT4ever »

I believe that I could, as long as they are a thinker and dreamer like I am. Dating someone that lacks imagination is never a good look.
heathersusanne
Favorite Author: JD Salinger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heathersusanne.html
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by heathersusanne »

My knee-jerk reaction is hell no. Then I realized by SO doesn't read books. Whoops. To be honest, I haven't thought about it before, and it doesn't bother me now. I think what's important is he doesn't stop me from reading, and he doesn't hold it against me if I'm stuck in a series of books for weeks on end (thanks Outlander).
sabrinah20
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by sabrinah20 »

I have been a reader for as long as i can remember, as far back as kindergarten. When I first met my boyfriend he didn't have an interest in reading but as we kept going to the bookstores looking for the books I wanted he started to show interest. I helped him figure out what he would like to know more about in this world and now he hates all the time he has lost by not picking up a book.
Aaliyahlove
Currently Reading: The Message?
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyahlove.html

Post by Aaliyahlove »

Yes, I can date someone that doesn't read. My longtime boyfriend reads but nowhere near as often as me. I wonder want the conversations would be like if I was with someone who has the love of books as I do.
BooksRunique
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksrunique.html

Post by BooksRunique »

Maybe but if they hate and despise books then no I can't be with them
Tdekar729
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tdekar729.html

Post by Tdekar729 »

My husband currently falls under this umbrella and I must admit that most of the time it does not bother me. Any person that I meet though that does not like to read I feel bad for because I feel like they are missing out on so much. My sister never reads either and it breaks my heart.
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

Yes, I don't see a problem with it at all for me. My husband reads, but nowhere near as much as I do. It takes him a month to read a book when I will read half a dozen or more in that time. However we don't read the same things, so there is never any discussion about what we are reading. He could totally care less about my romance and fantasy. And I really do not care for his stories with cheesy jokes
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”