Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Katy Isodo
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katy-isodo.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Katy Isodo »

I probably could but I'd much prefer someone who read, even if it isn't as much as me (I'd be shocked if I met someone who read as much as me!). Reading is such a core part of my life and has been for so long that I'd want to share that with my partner and have in-depth discussion about various topics. I have dated people in the past who didn't read and while it wasn't a reason that we broke up there were times it was a sore spot. (I.E. I would get sensitive for being teased with my library obsession.)
sliversofnature
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sliversofnature.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sliversofnature »

I could date someone who doesn't ready, but I couldn't date someone who looked down on reading.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Definitely yes! The human personality has many facets and if both of you have chemistry on even a few facets then you can date all you want. One such facet is if both of you like to watch movies together or if you like to go bowling together. Reading is not the main requirement for dating and if you are in a relationship with someone who does not read, you can have peace and quiet time together provided both of you respect each other's personal space and comfort zone.....you reading a book on a PC and she playing Plants versus Zombies on her smartphone. This is an actual case between my partner and me. And we have been happily in a relationship for nearly 5 years now. :tiphat:
jakebook77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakebook77.html

Post by jakebook77 »

I have and it wasn't a serious relationship so that says something right there. If someone didn't read that much, I'd be okay with it but I'd need someone who does on occasion.
mknewman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mknewman.html

Post by mknewman »

I never thought I could, but now I am and it's honestly not an issue. He's bought me books and encourages me, but he's just more into music (and knows way more about it than I do!). In the end it works out.
drewcress
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drewcress.html

Post by drewcress »

Sure, there are lots of way to explore topics beyond books. As most of my reading comes via Ted talks and podcast recommendations, I'm not sure the book is really necessary at all. Even if I do enjoy turning the page I wouldn't expect us to always be on the same one
usernameAng
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usernameang.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by usernameAng »

Of course. Different people enjoy different things. I would hate if someone I wanted to date told me that they're not interested because I'm not in coding or sports or something. In the end, reading is just a hobby, and I won't choose not to date someone just because they don't share a hobby with me.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I am with someone who doesn't read. This is perfectly fine with me because he lets me rant on and on about a particular book that has gotten to me. Over a year later he stills finds it cute even though he has no clue what I am talking about.

My partner and I share a different hobby together which is PC gaming and geeking out over star wars and star trek. It's OK to like different things. There is more to a person than their preferred hobby. It's important to allow each other the space to do their chosen hobby and I am glad to have the right balance with my guy
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Sanderson Blue

Post by Sanderson Blue »

Yes, I actually married someone who didn't like to read much (we are no longer married). English wasn't his first language and so that was probably a barrier. This didn't matter to me...he had good family values and a great sense of humour and that mattered more to me. However, it's very important that my kids be book lovers and they are and that means much more to me than if their father ever picks up a book.
mhausee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhausee.html

Post by mhausee »

No. No because he will never understand me emotionally. He may know how much I love to read books but he will never know how much passionate I am.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I wouldn't risk losing potentially a fantastic guy because he doesn't pick up a book. He might have an understanding of passion and emotion I feel for a book, as he probably does for a film he loves or a passion for another hobby. Anyone who has a love for something will understand passion and emotion easily, despite what its aimed at.

No way would I risk love due to a hobby difference
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Cyndel Maria
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndel-maria.html

Post by Cyndel Maria »

Only if I can still have intellectual conversations with them, but I have seen that it is easier - or rather more enjoyable - when your significant other also reads because they understand the obsession and the need and want to set aside time to read. Otherwise non readers just see it as boring.
Mostasteless

Post by Mostasteless »

My bf of 9 years is not a reader! Heck! He barely read the directions putting the children's toys together! It doesn't bother me because he struggled in school , though it is a real push fir our children to read and hopefully share my love for reading!
Akeem

Post by Akeem »

U read someones else history.does you date may not read about the history but have there own experience and history not yet written down.its better to learn from them in other to know what they know that you don't know
Masinde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masinde.html

Post by Masinde »

Yes I can.Provided is one of my choice that I can really not do without her around me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”