Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Schonaye242
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Too many to name just one.
Currently Reading: Lost and Found by Jayne Ann Krentz
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Schonaye242 »

As previously stated intelligence cannot be measured by whether or not a person can read book.
serenity01

Post by serenity01 »

I actually married someone who does'nt read. It has'nt been an issue. He's even bought books for me.
teenybeany
Favorite Book: EndersGame
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teenybeany.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Former Communist" by Ludwik Kowalski

Post by teenybeany »

Yes. He gets to watch whatever Tv program he wants while I read :-) it works out great!
Latest Review: "Diary of a Former Communist" by Ludwik Kowalski
Schonaye242

Post by Schonaye242 »

As exhibited in these relationships in this post reading is a non - issue in a relationship. There is certainly more to a relationship than someone that can analyze the written works of Shakespeare.
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

I agree, in a couple when the two partners haven't exactly the same hobbies they can share what they know to increase their knowledge. I couldn't marry someone who is exactly like me. My fiancé hepls me in some fields like I do for him some others.
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
Schonaye242

Post by Schonaye242 »

Exactly,different interests between a couple creates an exciting and stimulating relationship. A relationship where either partner won't get bored but will enrich each other's lives in different aspects.
kelleys4girls

Post by kelleys4girls »

I've been married for 23 years. My husband only reads an occasional magazine or internet article, preferring TV and movies. I despise TV and only occasionally watch a movie, but I read every day. Often, I'm able to read a book and then share a discussion with him about what I read. He tells me about shows or movies he watched and we can discuss them. Even if we enjoyed the same media, we wouldn't enjoy the same genre. So this way, we get a smattering of a wider variety. He often says that combined, we make a whole, well-rounded person. :)

One of the first questions I asked him after we met was "What's the last book you read?" He was judged on the speed of his response as well as the quality. His immediate reply of "Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke" was the deal clincher. :)
Last edited by kelleys4girls on 04 Jan 2013, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Schonaye242

Post by Schonaye242 »

Awwwww that is a sweet story.
cherry7up
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherry7up.html

Post by cherry7up »

Yes. I have dated people who don't read, and have learned quite a bit from them, especially practical information. They had very different interests than I did/do, such as motorcycles, guns, and fire, and so we learned a lot from one another.
Schonaye242

Post by Schonaye242 »

The relationship was definitely enriched by the differences of both partners.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

I did. Been with a guy for twenty years who reads but never anything I read. We have no common reading interests so we can't even discuss what I read or he may read, sometime.

He is a phone guy, so his mobile is his sweetheart, but I learned to find other interests to share with him.

The downside was that because he doesn't read what I used to love reading, I lost interest in reading too.

If the partner reads too, it's nice to share some reading space I guess. I never dated a guy who reads. Reading remains my guilty pleasure, my escape pod from a routine life.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
linainverse0409

Post by linainverse0409 »

I actually am dating a guy who is very stubborn when it comes to reading. He loves to read intellectual articles but try to get him to actually sit down and read a book is like pulling teeth. We still have plenty to talk about though. He's the more social one of the relationship so he brings me out of my shell and I recommend stuff to read that are short for him. Just because someone doesn't read doesn't exactly strain the relationship, it just makes you expand your horizons I think. It also helps that his coworkers send him home with books to read that I borrow because I know he is going to have them forever. It works out just fine in the long run
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html

Post by asmaahsan »

I agree. My husband and I don't read the same stuff but it has never bothered me either. Infact, the stuff he reads is different from what I would choose myself so it's like learning something new for me, plus, it makes him happy when I take interest in what he likes. It puts him in a good mood and our rapport improves like that too. :)
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
eliza617
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliza617.html

Post by eliza617 »

Probably not. I've never done it before. It's funny though because while my husband really enjoys reading, he and I have completely different taste in books. He makes fun of me because I read a lot of YA fiction. He prefers more serious adult books, which I find boring. But sometimes we find books that we both like and we read them out loud together. We read a lot of Bill Bryson out loud to each other.
Sari58

Post by Sari58 »

I married someone who doesn't read.. or rather doesn't read much.. it does limit some conversation and I'd be a liar if I said there wasn't times that I wished he did read more so we would have more to discuss but you don't marry someone because they are a reader or not a reader you marry someone because you love the person.. reader or not..

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”