Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Grenadine54
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grenadine54.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Grenadine54 »

I don't have a problem being with someone who doesn't read books, just like I wouldn't have a problem dating someone who isn't into a wide variety of music. It's a choice.

However, I don't think I would want to be with someone who isn't taking any interest in the world in general. Someone who doesn't even read the news every once in a while... now that would irk me. There's so much to learn out there!
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

Hey, I have never met a man who doesnt read or hear the news! Even I take out time to hear the news on tv if I don't read it. Is such a man possible? Wow!
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Grenadine54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grenadine54.html

Post by Grenadine54 »

Sad to say, but yeah. The guy was 100% into cars and took no interest in anything else. On that same note, I have met more girls than guys who are disinterested in the world.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html

Post by asmaahsan »

I know some car crazy men too. It's a disease. I can't complain because I love to drive a car, so I have to learn a bit about cars to keep mine running smoothly. Still, having just one interest in life is unhealthy. I try to get interested in every new thing I come across. These days, trying to read new books recommended by you all here. :)

As for the women who are not into news, What can I say. I have found out that staying in touch with the real world out there, as we speak, is the only way to understand society and survive in it. Though most news these days are bad, unless we hear them or read about them, how can we try to change the world into a better place? Ignorance is not bliss. It makes you an outcast. You don't have much to talk about if you are not up to date in stuff.

Being an outcast scares me. I try to be alert where ever I am to what's going on around me. It keeps my mind active too.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
HistoryMajor34

Post by HistoryMajor34 »

My husband hates reading. It really does not bother me, as long as he leaves me alone when I am reading. We have an understanding in our marriage...I stay quiet about his video games if he stays quiet about my books. :)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

HistoryMajor34 wrote:My husband hates reading. It really does not bother me, as long as he leaves me alone when I am reading. We have an understanding in our marriage...I stay quiet about his video games if he stays quiet about my books. :)
Exactly ... mutual respect is what matters IMO :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
esawyer
Favorite Book: Daytripper by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba
Currently Reading: Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai

Post by esawyer »

I have a lot of different interests and I get excited about a lot of things. So, it may be a bit overwhelming for my partner to handle. Luckily, she is finally taking some of my recommendations and running with them. It's great to bond with some people who share my interests (or at least oblige to my excitement)!

So, yes, I would date someone who doesn't read as long as we could talk about other things that we're into. But, it makes the relationship more fulfilling when you can talk about books!
blewis15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blewis15.html

Post by blewis15 »

My husband only reads a few books a year. My friends and I created a book club so we can discuss the books we read. It is always fun to have a girls night out and to get to talk about books! Our number one rule for our book club is that we don't allow guys!! I do enjoy it when my husband reads the same book as me. It is fun to discuss the book as we read.
lmarek

Post by lmarek »

I agree completely with LoveHatesYou, my husband (of twelve years) does not read. He is able to but his idea of reading is glancing through car mags. For me it is not a deal breaker, he does other things with his mind, he is not some mindless zombie sitting in front of the television doing nothing. We work well together because we work well apart.
Bibby

Post by Bibby »

Working on the basis that I once broke up with a girlfriend on the basis that she didn't like cheese, I can't imagine that "I don't like reading" would do much. It wasn't so much the cheese, per se, but just the mindset that would write off an entire world of human experience. That's so much more true of books. I think I would happily date someone who didn't read crime fiction or nineteenth century literature - or even Russian fiction. Indeed I can picture much happiness being had out of discussing why they didn't. Equally I could see myself having interesting conversations along a similar line with somebody who stuck hard and fast to one type of reading - although I tend to be appallingly indiscriminate and will read any old rubbish if it's put in front of me. Perhaps I'm being unimaginative but I just can't see how somebody would be a 'thinking person' and not read books. I can't picture such a person, I pretty sure I haven't met any.
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I'm not going to say that it's essential to me to be with someone that reads but I like to be with someone with whom I can discuss the books I read and if he has read them to, that's great. When I first met my boyfriend he wasn't into reading but fortunately he has begun to read more and know we can talk that.
I think that when you're a reader it can be hard not to able to share that enthusiasm with the person you're with but I don't think that being a reader with be a deal breaker for me.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
capucine
Favorite Author: Reading Dostoevsky
Currently Reading: The Brothers Karamazov and King Lear
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capucine.html
Latest Review: "Peonies for Breakfast" by Trinaa Mukherjee

Post by capucine »

Definitely a deal-breaker; as someone who loves to read, not being able to share my favorite excerpts from the books I'm reading or being able to discuss the books with the person I'm dating would get rather tiresome rather quickly - and generally I have found that people who don't like to read don't appreciate such dialogues. Honestly, I wouldn't even be friends with someone who doesn't read text of substance in some capacity, however limited. However, he doesn't necessarily have to read books - my beau is a cardiologist and doesn't have time to read anything but scientific papers, which is fine by me because he's very busy and I read those as well.
Latest Review: "Peonies for Breakfast" by Trinaa Mukherjee
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

I could date someone who doesn't read, but I can't date someone who's not a musician. That's just too twisted for me, sister. :P
How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure.
lady3098bravo

Post by lady3098bravo »

Yes i do and its not that bad he has his hobbies and i read works out good. He is one of those that would rather watch a movie. After nine years i have learned to deal with it
HarperMarie

Post by HarperMarie »

No way!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”