Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mariahlynn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Mariahlynn »

It doesn't really matter whether someone reads or not, as long as they respect the written word. Reading is one form of intellectual exploration. However, there are so many types of people and sometimes their minds don't find what we might find from a book. They find that kind of escape and knowledge in other media.
Nicky+Rennie
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nicky+Rennie »

Tried dating a non-reader before.....Does not work out too well. They seem to be close-minded and in any confrontational situation, assume you read the info somewhere, therefore untrue. Their favorite saying was : Paper is patient, people can write anything down. Very frustrating!!! Much happier married now with a reader of many books, intelligent and interesting conversations abound.
GuT

Post by GuT »

I really could, if that person still would be someone intresting to talk to and also show respect to bookaholics like me :)
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

My husband wasn't a.big reader but on one vacation I found him taking hostage my kindle for days. It must've been a phase though because he hasn't read in months. Lol
Andrea Bledsoe King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrea-bledsoe-king.html

Post by Andrea Bledsoe King »

Hell, being a librarian and dating a non-reader just seems sacrilegious almost. I was told on a first date over 12 years ago that unless it is on a CNN or ESPN ticker tape, he didn't read it. We are celebrating our 7th year wedding anniversary next month.
kaz_mwangala
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaz-mwangala.html

Post by kaz_mwangala »

This is a tough one. Its obviously a plus when you find someone with a similar interest and passion as you but i wouldn't say its a deal breaker. It can get frustrating when the person you're with can't share in something you enjoy so much. Besides in my head i'm like who wouldn't want to read everything all the time!!It baffles the mind but hey to each their own i suppose
andreeah55

Post by andreeah55 »

I did date quite a few people thet were not so interested in reading as I was and I found myself quite frustrated at some point. like when you finish an absolutely amazing book and you want to discuss it but the person can hear you but they can't understand your excitement. Had a few good cases as well where I amanged to get thme to read almost as much as I did. still... I would always choose someone who reads over some amazingly good looking person that when enetring a room their only contribution to the discussion is pure visual.
GrandmaIrene
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GrandmaIrene »

I'm actually married to a man who hates to read. He would much rather watch the movies. It doesn't bother me at all. He watches his television while I read my books. Many times we will watch the movies that come out and I will tell him the differences between the book and the movie.
efufoo
Currently Reading: The lord of the rings collection
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by efufoo »

I would.

I think its kind of odd if you wouldnt. Its not like a movie or music where they would have to put up with watching or hearing it while you are reading.

Just let them watch tv or whatever and read then.
Katelyn_Lambson
Currently Reading: the book theif
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-lambson.html

Post by Katelyn_Lambson »

No way!! I have to be able to talk to someone about what I'm reading and have them understand the pull of books in my life!!!
screece1220

Post by screece1220 »

I am married to someone who hates to read! We get along perfectly fine though. He does his own thing, while I sit around and read. Then, I bug him to death with my book by telling him everything that has happened and what I think will happen. I don't think he even cares, but he listens regardless because I listen to him when he goes on about cars. :) So, yes, I can be with someone who doesn't read.
Dftbablossom
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dftbablossom.html

Post by Dftbablossom »

It would depend. If the person hated to read, that would be bothersome to me. It also generally points to that person being less of an intellectual. If they hated to read, but managed intelligent conversation, and consumed information in another way, it might be okay. I associate people who like to read with intelligence, creativity, and imagination, all of which I like in an individual. If you can't provide those traits, regardless of your reading habits, I'm not interested.
EmilyHeather
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyheather.html

Post by EmilyHeather »

I am actually married to someone who doesn't like to read books at all. It puts him right to sleep. The important thing is that he knows that I love to read, and lets me indulge in books and has no problem with me spending time reading each day. He has his own separate hobbies and we are perfectly fine with that. We still have intellectual conversations and I get to tell him about interesting and fun things i read, while he fills me in on things he is passionate about.
renosangel
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renosangel.html

Post by renosangel »

I would have to say, it depends on the person really. Say, I'm interested in a person right now who doesn't read a lot of books.. they like books, but they are a very slow reader, so they don't read much. That's acceptable to me, you know, just because i can devour books in hours doesn't mean everyone can..

Now, if it's someone who flat out hates to read and refuses to pick up a book at all? Probably not. Especially if they don't share my other two loves- music and gaming.
aoboshi36
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by aoboshi36 »

Probably not as I talked about books a lot. Probably yes too as I also have many other interests. Of course, it would be wonderful to date avid readers who are also into the same kind of books as ourselves. But again, as other members may have said, it is also possible to have a conversation about other subjects, including those we read in the books. After all, books depict fantasy as much as truth and realities.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”