Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Buchacha21 »

I never thought I could say "yes" to this question, but it turns out I married someone who doesn't read!

For me, I love reading, but it is a hobby. I have other hobbies that my husband does not have any interest in, and he has hobbies that I have no interest in. I love talking about what I read, so sometimes it can be very frustrating when he isn't interested. But that has just forced me to find other people to talk to about what I read and has also resulted in the formation of a book club, so it's actually been a positive thing.
Mavovo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mavovo »

yes i would date someone who does not read...sounds strange to make that a tie breaker for a relationship for me...would annoy me more to have them going through my books and not replacing them the way i had put them...in the order of importance to me..i don't do alphabetical.
zunnydays
Currently Reading: Eating Fire
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zunnydays.html

Post by zunnydays »

I definitely would. My ex-girlfriend wasn't much of a reader, and I still, like, was romantically involved and all that. The reality of it all is that reading is a hobby for me, and you don't have to share all interests with a romantic partner. Yes, we liked the same music, and TV shows, and her not liking novels didn’t really have an effect on the relationship.
Tsheola Asavela
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsheola-asavela.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Tsheola Asavela »

Why not? Although, I would make attempts at getting her to read something that revolves around her interests. If that does not work then, I'll have to live with it I guess.
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
DaniHarner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniharner.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox

Post by DaniHarner »

My husband wouldn't read a book if his life depended on it, I read a book every other day! We both understand each other. Give him a car to tinker with and he is a happy man. Give me a book, and I am content!
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
wroteyou

Post by wroteyou »

Not read ... at all? Or just fiction books? If someone was into non-fiction and news then yes. But no reading ever. It's like John Waters said: 'If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't ___ 'em!'
Btschimchim19
Currently Reading: Defender: A Scottish American Fairy Tale
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Btschimchim19 »

Reading is an indispensable part of me, so I guess it will be hard to date someone who does not have the same book interests as me :)
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

I am dating someone who doesn't read as much as I do right now, and I love that about him! You see, he does read, but not the sort of material I do. He reads up on how to do certain things because that's necessary for the projects he's working on. He reads my stories I write, which is a huge, huge plus! And he'll read anything related to his hobbies because he's looking for advice, tips, or just ways people have done things different than him.

I think the biggest thing is that I was drawn to reading growing up because that was my escape. His hobbies and interests were his escape, and being more hands-on activities, he wasn't so much into books. I think it's just different perspectives on how you absorb information, that's all!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

For me yes, I could date someone because almost men that I knew never read books. They would prefer to watch movies rather than reading books.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
A Cup of Positivity
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-cup-of-positivity.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by A Cup of Positivity »

Yes, I can. I have a lot of other interests, so we would be able to discuss other things. However if the person didn't respect my interest in reading, that's another story - I wouldn't be able to date them then, let alone be my friend. I believe that having respect, regardless of what the interest is, will lead to a successful friendship as well as a relationship.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I could but I wouldn't. I'm a book nerd who likes to talk about books that I read. If I can't talk to my partner about books then that is going to be a total romance killer. After all a romantic date to me is one where we are relaxing on a beach sharing ear buds listening to an audio novel that we both enjoy.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Rosie22
Currently Reading: The Gene Keys Golden Path
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Rosie22 »

What a great question!
just got me thinking about my dates from the past, and if I ever have before; can't think of anyone who didn't read; so that is probably a no!

yet I wouldn't make it a rule. I think if they had some other connection to either their own deep creativity, or if they were e.g. a podcast, TED talk kind of addict, I could work with that.
As someone said, I could only be with someone who had a thing that required lots of time of their own, that left me free to do my reading and writing without any demand that I give them that sacred time.

I could live without discussing books with a partner, as there are loads of other people , including here, that I can discuss books with.
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

Probably not, since they're all I ever talk about. They'd probably get sick of everything I say about it. But if they're interested in other things I like (maybe movies or tv shows?) then maybe, since we'd actually have something in common then.
ande-ny
Currently Reading: The Heir
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ande-ny.html
Reading Device: B01C5QLN7A

Post by ande-ny »

I wouldn't mind at all I mean how much you read doesn't make or break a relationship to me. Since that would never make or break a friendship, I mean and with all great relationships you start out as friends correct?
Irena
Currently Reading: heretic
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irena.html

Post by Irena »

Well, yes, I would, there are other, for a relationship far more important things then reading. You could have a great conversation with an inteligent person provided that they are using their brain and their heart, they are openminded and wiling to share....it doesn't matter so much where they gather their information and their insights from.....on the other hand, if a reading or not is some kind of snobish thing to a person...I would not date him....because I think that in that case the purpose of the reading is being missed.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”