Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gina16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Gina16 »

I date someone who is not an avid reader. He understands that I really enjoy reading and doesn't take it personally that sometimes all I want to do is curl up with a good book
jcsa719
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcsa719.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by jcsa719 »

My husband isn't a reader but he doesn't mind that I am. He has gone with me to book signings and other book related events just because it makes me happy.
glamorous_sloth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glamorous-sloth.html

Post by glamorous_sloth »

I have dated both someone who would never pick up a book and, currently, a fellow reader and author. From my perspective, if you are passionate about reading then it is always better to find someone who shares that passion with you. Reading is my first love and it is the most incredible thing to be able to share that with someone.
IntrovertedSoul

Post by IntrovertedSoul »

No. I feel like we wouldn't have anything in common. I feel most alive and free when I'm talking about a book.
I'm very quiet so when my old psychology teacher wants to have a conversation, he simply brings up a book. He would ask me how was my weekend and I'll be like it was okay. Then he look at me and ask me 'what books did you read this weekend?' I'm gonna be talking for hours.
It does help that I'm very persuasive. I persuaded my brother to actually start reading and now he's actually coming to me for recommendations.
MrsRay
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsray.html

Post by MrsRay »

I have been married for 22 years, and I read a lot more books than my husband does. He reads at a much slower pace. He tends to read more articles than books. We have great discussions as I tell him about the books I'm reading, and he tells me what he's been reading. I think it could be a dangerous thing if we both read a lot because we might never do anything else. He respects my need to disappear into a book sometimes, but also makes sure I get out in the world.
PinkWingReads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinkwingreads.html

Post by PinkWingReads »

Yes I could but I would always urge him to read all the time and try to motivate him
graciemaryee

Post by graciemaryee »

I think I could date anyone as long as they are interested in some sort of storytelling literature. If they weren't a book person but still were into tv shows, movies, musicals, or plays, I'd be okay with it. Sometimes people need visuals to make a story complete for them and I see no shame in that.
Marissa_P
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-p.html

Post by Marissa_P »

I could possibly have dated someone who didn't read, as long as they respected and understood my obsession with books. I'm very glad that my one true love does indeed enjoy reading! We don't read much of the same genres, but that doesn't bother me. That may be because my cousin, and best friend, reads the exact same books I love reading, so I fangirl with her instead. :wink2:
hebrooks

Post by hebrooks »

I married a man who didn't read very much. He just didn't think he had the time. We agreed to make time and set aside one day a week to just read. That means no TV, and no radio until we read for a certain amount of time. It worked. He enjoys reading as much as I do now, and we can tell one another about our books! It has really grown our relationship!
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Not to be too rude here, but isn't this question a little superficial?
Isn't it somewhat akin to saying, "I would never date a person who isn't in shape," or "Could you date someone with a disability?"
Again, not trying to be antagonistic.
I read one or two books a week. More than anything, I like that a book represents to others that I should be left alone. Sure, stories are great and I enjoy the actual books, but they are more of a meditation for me.
My wife will go on streaks where she'll read a book or two, but they are usually for self-betterment (although they are never self-help.) Otherwise, she finds more day to day satisfaction doing puzzles or talking to her friends.
This is perfect for me. I don't read a book to talk about it, and often I don't want to talk about it. I read them because I enjoy the act.
I know this is just one example, but my point is that relationships don't need to be built on common interests (these change and develop) but rather between compatible people.
Not a clue what makes people compatible, but I feel like when you actively cut people out of your dating pool because of an interest (or how they look, or anything like that) you limit yourself. And who knows, maybe the perfect person for you just doesn't seem like it at first.
Final thought. I am a goofy guy. In general, people didn't flock to me because of my charm and good looks (never understood why not though...) If people did use me for my great bod and winning smile, I might have been more inclined to cull the herd a bit.
Maybe that is all you are talking about.
If that is the case, I'll shut up now :D
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
yesleiry02

Post by yesleiry02 »

I will dated somebody who do not read, I do not mind as long as he understand that i would be constantly reading and who knows if he starts reading too :)
Rebecca675
Currently Reading: Spirit of Horses
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca675.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rebecca675 »

When my now husband and I started dating he was not a reader. I am a crazy obsessed reader and read very quickly.

It kind of boggled his mind at first but I think he actually became proud of my great reading skills. After several years of being dragged to bookstores and my careful building of my library and our children's book library he got into it.

He reads very different books than I do, but enjoys it a lot. He often will bring his books on road trips and all that I read them aloud to him!

He prefers non fiction and reading about history, while I prefer fiction. I truly believe that everyone enjoys reading to some extent, they just have to have the books!!
Selbster
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selbster.html

Post by Selbster »

I feel that I could. I would probably be constantly shaming him for that, telling him about all the books I read, which would take hours and hours but I think it will be my number one goal to get him to read something. It's like when girls date bad boys in hopes of turning them good. That would definitely be me, book-edition. 8)
books4college
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books4college.html

Post by books4college »

It could work, I mean they would have to understand that reading and books are a big part of who I am. I really just look for someone who really loves something. I like people who have a passion for something. I think that yes I could as long as they respect that I like to.
alyssamorgan-8
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssamorgan-8.html

Post by alyssamorgan-8 »

MY husband does not read that much. I thought it would be a problem because I am such a reader but I realized that his interests are what make him, him.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”