What books do you think everyone should read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ANgelGrinder
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ANgelGrinder »

Interesting suggestions...

I think in this day and age.. with the war in Iraq... there should be required reading in this country about warfare... There are some very naive expressions and ideas being presented in the media, and by Jane and Joe american.. With that in mind.. here are my recommendations with a couple of explanations afterwards...

Genghis Khan's Greatest General: Subotai the Valiant
by Richard A. Gabriel

This book talks about Subotai, probably the best General of all time, or definitely top 3. The one way this book does a good job of explaining things is how it shows in warfare and history, that Brutality does indeed have a proper place in society for the greater good of one side over another...

STALINGRAD: How the Red Army Survived the German Onslaught
by Michael Jones

This book shows an interesting view of the Battle Of Stalingrad... This was thee battle which showed us how brutal Urban Warfare is... and how certain questionable orders to resolve the will of the defender could turn the tide with good leadership...

Like a Cliff in the Ocean: A History of the 3rd SS-Panzer-Division Totenkopf
by Karl Ullrich

This is a choice i made just to show some diverse opinions... The foreward in this book really makes you think... Very few of the SS soldiers in the Nazi Army were brutal exterminators... it would be like if we lost the war in Iraq... and all of the families of our troops in Iraq were Prohibited from even showing photos of their deceased family members who died in Iraq... Look to both sides before you believe either one is the axiom here...

Caesar: Life of a Colossus
by Adrian Goldsworthy

This is an excellant book detailing the life, or whats known of the life, of Julius Ceasar (Pronounced Kaesar as the C in Latin is pronoinced with a K, its nice to learn something isnt it? :) It shows politics in its current and ancient form as the preulde to war and the afteraffects of warfare... it also shows what happened to the Conquered in warfare at that time... When people are complaining about Gitmo, remember, Slavery or Death was what awaited the conquered who resisted the might of Rome... Also shows how pathetic politics really are...

Well these are just a few suggestions to try and open up the minds of people who express opinions about warfare, brutality, and just outright dislike or hatred of an enemy or a people based on what others think or say that people take to be based on something factual...

Always remember one thing when you read a book...
EVERYTHING EVER WRITTEN IS BIASED
Whether its the bible, about History, News, or even Literature of any form...So read differing viewpoints to come up with your own conclusions... but these books may open your eyes to some extent... and the anecdotes in warfare are always something truely impressive or just down right weird... Enjoy
GWA

Post by GWA »

Have to agree with the vote for Breakfast of Champions, loved Watership Downs as a kid, and Farewell to Arms is one of the most moving stories I have ever been fortunate enough to read.

GWA.
:D
ketansnadar

Post by ketansnadar »

The Monk Who sold his ferrari - Robin Sharma .. A good book
Jason44

Post by Jason44 »

I think all the books labeled as "classics" should be read by everyone might improve our society a bit Image just maybe hehe
loladarling

Post by loladarling »

The Amazing adventures of Kavilier and Clay. I loved this book I have read it at least 5 times.
bobblington

Post by bobblington »

1) The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde
2) This much I know if true - Wally Lamb
3) Bel Canto - Ann Patchett
4) Jonathon Strange and Mr Norell - Susanna Clarke
5) The Lords of the rings - Andrew Jennings (not be be mistaking with Tolkeins classic fantasy book)
andr70

Post by andr70 »

Different romans about love.
www.bringmeword.biz

Post by www.bringmeword.biz »

I've been on a self-help book reading frenzy lately and I really like The Four Agreements by Don Ruiz.
mplwdscribe

Post by mplwdscribe »

Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain

Native Son - Richard Wright
vanillaswirl87

Post by vanillaswirl87 »

The Book Thief

I Capture a Castle (for girls)

Pillars of Earth

Inheritance Series (Eragon, Eldest, etc. This kid can really write I love his descriptions)

Three Cups of Tea

Speak

Here is just a few I love.
dbreeds

Post by dbreeds »

Everyone should read:

Ishmael - Opens up the mind to alternative views of the world

Catcher in the Rye - A classic book by a great author

How to Win Friends & Influence People - Teaches you how to treat people respectully.

A book on manners... Emily Post maybe? - Let's face it, everyone could brush up on some manners.
TheoGio

Post by TheoGio »

I loved The Prophet..read it while I was studying nursing. Yes, very inspiring.

Another inspiring book for me...The Little Prince. I hold a special place in my heart for that little (yet profoundly inspiring) book.
HillaryBrooke

Post by HillaryBrooke »

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

and Jonathan Livingston Seagull both by Richard Bach.
designpassion

Post by designpassion »

I hope no one finds it necessary to berate religion over this one...
The Bible. It's the all time bestseller... for a reason. Tons of stories in one book, written over centuries and full of romance, peril, battle, mystery etc.
Tama3001

Post by Tama3001 »

I have read many amazing books, but few stood out from the rest. Few stories I can't forget no matter how many years passed since I read them.

The morning after
Redeeming Love
To know her by name

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”