What books do you think everyone should read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: What books do you think everyone should read?

Post by Gravy »

I think more people should read Melissa Marr's books.
The Wicked Lovely series yes, but also The Arrivals. I'd say it's a need read for anyone who likes fantasy or scifi and probably even if you don't.
It's kind of a western but on another world. The characters are interesting. The storyline keeps you turning the pages.
I thought so anyway.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I think Of Mice and Men is definitely one that everyone should read. I'd say the Book Thief goes onto the list as well. Harry Potter books for the kids - if a child only reads one book in her childhood, let it be one of the Harry Potter books. The Fifth Gospel by Adriana Koulias if you're a Christian.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
rachelreads98
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelreads98.html

Post by rachelreads98 »

I think everyone should read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It is so good and it really shows you what some people go through in their lives, and I think sometimes it is good for people to take a step back from their own lives and look at what some other people, even if fictional, can go through.
Sauroke
Favorite Author: R.A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sauroke.html

Post by Sauroke »

In my opinion, everyone should read Dune by Frank Herbert. It opens one's eyes to the betrayals of humanity, believing in oneself, and advances the imagination.
BradleyReads

Post by BradleyReads »

The Kite Runner
kerrigan31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerrigan31.html

Post by kerrigan31 »

The Alchemist by Paul Coelho it has a great message and it's written in a parable form so it's incredibly easy to comprehend to a degree.
JohnOrtegon23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johnortegon23.html

Post by JohnOrtegon23 »

the Catcher in the Rye. I believe everyone will love this book.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I think everyone should read The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I know others would probably pick more philosophical books. But I just think this was the most intricately created world ever made for a book, and it definitely should not be overlooked.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
maemarie

Post by maemarie »

To Kill a Mockingbird!
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

There is only one book that I think that everyone should read, and that is the Bible. Other books are nice, but don't contain the wisdom and truth that that book contains.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

None. Make your own reading list and whatever you do, don't tell me about a book I have to read. I don't, you know. Two books come to mind as "must reads" that I've never been able to finish. "Ulysses" by James Joyce and "Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. I will tell, if asked, my favorite book or books I've really enjoyed. "Crossing to Safety" by Wallace Stegner, "Montana-1948" by Larry Watson and "Citizen Soldier" by Stephen Ambrose are high on my list today. Tomorrow, who knows?
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

patrickt wrote:None. Make your own reading list and whatever you do, don't tell me about a book I have to read. I don't, you know. Two books come to mind as "must reads" that I've never been able to finish. "Ulysses" by James Joyce and "Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. I will tell, if asked, my favorite book or books I've really enjoyed. "Crossing to Safety" by Wallace Stegner, "Montana-1948" by Larry Watson and "Citizen Soldier" by Stephen Ambrose are high on my list today. Tomorrow, who knows?
****************************************************************************************************************************************************

On the money Patrickt!...i couldn't have said it better myself!...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Ty0005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ty0005.html

Post by Ty0005 »

If your looking for something more philosophical, I'd suggest the bible. Although there is plenty of other great stuff in it.
Now to the matter of just what I think are worth reading I would say any Edgar Allen Poe, Sherlock Holmes shorts, Frank Herbert, the Revenant is a classic, JRR Tolken, The Wind-up Bird Chronicles... So many books I think would be great for everyone to read.
Amberbogumil
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberbogumil.html

Post by Amberbogumil »

There are so many books people have mentioned that I've wanted to read! I'd say any John Green book including The Fault In Our Stars. Its by far my favorite book and he's my favorite author, I enjoy all of his books and literally recommend all of them.
SusanE
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susane.html

Post by SusanE »

To Kill a Mockingbird
Of Mice and Men
The Fault in Our Stars
anything by Ellen Hopkins

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”