The Movie Wasn't Like the Book!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kimmykat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Movie Wasn't Like the Book!

Post by kimmykat »

One of the books that immediately comes to mind when discussing movies that are not like the original book would be The Shining, by Stephen King. I am among the few that actually like the movie better but then again I am a huge fan of the inner workings and strange behavior of Stanley Kubrick (RIP). I recently heard that Mr. King has been working on a sequel called Doctor Dream and it is scheduled to be released January 2013. I cant wait for this as I am sure a lot of other King fans feel the same way!
robert eggleton
Favorite Author: Kurt Vonnegut
fav_author_id: 2721

Post by robert eggleton »

I almost made it through Needful Things. Actually, I did steal the setting of a pawn shop for one of my scenes in the sequel to my recently republished novel. Was Needful Things ever a movie? I would have probably taken a nap half-way through.
smstone14
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smstone14.html
Latest Review: "The Littlest Angel" by Heidi Chandler

Post by smstone14 »

It really depends on how good the book was and if the movie at least had most of the main stories going on that was going on in the book. For example: Fried Green Tomatoes. That book and movie was amazing, period. But there were more details throughout the book that the movie could have included and made that movie even better! I guess it all depends on the opinion of the reader and how they perceive it.
Latest Review: "The Littlest Angel" by Heidi Chandler
robert eggleton

I like it too, but "amazing?'
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Tend to agree, good but not that good.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

robert eggleton wrote:I almost made it through Needful Things. Actually, I did steal the setting of a pawn shop for one of my scenes in the sequel to my recently republished novel. Was Needful Things ever a movie? I would have probably taken a nap half-way through.
They did make a movie from Needful Things years ago. I think it had Donald Pleasance in it. I only watched half of it, it wasnt all that good.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
robert eggleton

Not surprised.
lydiamichael01

Post by lydiamichael01 »

Well I hate it when a movie doesn't follow the main story of the book, and when they leave characters out! I've read all the harry potter books and only the first and second movies were as accurate as they could be, but when i saw the Goblet of fire i was soooo annoyed, because the left important characters out that would play a role in the next book/movie.. So if a movie is based on a book they should try to stick to the book as much as possible ! :)
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

kimmykat wrote:One of the books that immediately comes to mind when discussing movies that are not like the original book would be The Shining, by Stephen King. I am among the few that actually like the movie better but then again I am a huge fan of the inner workings and strange behavior of Stanley Kubrick (RIP). I recently heard that Mr. King has been working on a sequel called Doctor Dream and it is scheduled to be released January 2013. I cant wait for this as I am sure a lot of other King fans feel the same way!
Im also looking forward to Doctor Sleep but am wary that King cant add much more to the story and its set years after the events of The Overlook with Danny as an adult man, Im not sure if it will work without The Overlook but I will reserve judgement until I read it.

Yeah, King HATED the 1980 movie but to be fair the budget effects back then probably wouldnt stretch to a believable topiary maze and boiler explosion so Kubrick had to compromise. I did like the original move though, the remake in 1997 was terrible. :roll:
You only live once.....so live!
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

The Shining I thought was kind of mediocre, but Jack Nicholson's performance made the whole movie. It was one of his best. Herrreeees Johnny!
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
robert eggleton

Without Jack N. there was no movie.
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

The Firm. I enjoyed the book, so bought the movie when I saw it on special. There were some similarities, but oh my gosh talk about poetic liscence. The ending ( which in the book I thiught was so clever) was totally and utterly different. And I am not even a fan of Tom Cruise.
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
robert eggleton

tom who?
min

Post by min »

I thoroughly enjoy watching movies based off the book, but I look at the two expressions as completely different things. I never watch a movie expecting it to be anything like the book- it is it's own expression of art. There are some books that I prefer to watch the movie version first, to get some idea of what's going to happen, so that I can enjoy the book instead of trying to figure out who is who and where is what and all that (Jane Austen is a good example of this).

I used to be one of those people who got upset at differences in the movie- like Armand being played by Antonio Banderas when he's supposed to be a fat 17 year old ginger. And Queen of the Damned was just as inaccurate, but I loved the movie- one of my favorites!!

But then I'm also looking forward to the new movie of Anna Karenina- it incorporates the whole idea of Russia at the time acting as though they were all on stage with these masks in a dream instead of looking at reality. I'm looking forward to seeing Joe Wright and Tom Stoppards interpretation of the book. Plus Keira Knightly, Jude Law, and Matthew Macfadyen will bring to life the characters from the book in a great way. No doubt about that.
robert eggleton

I think that the modifier for a film that doesn't fit the book should be something like "inspired by..." or something like that. It should not be "based on...." Two different media, fine. But, to dupe people into thinking that they are paying to see a movie based on a book that never existed is just not right.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”