The Movie Wasn't Like the Book!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ashley Hiddles
Favorite Author: Far too many
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: The Heart-Shaped Box
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-hiddles.html

Re: The Movie Wasn't Like the Book!

Post by Ashley Hiddles »

I understand that the movie will never be word for word what the book was, but you need to capture the feeling of the book. Good example, the fourth and fifth Harry Potter films. They cut out so many character and subplots and just little things that would have made the movie so much better. And they hurt themselves in later films by cutting out characters and/or not explaining things because it made for hasty and sometimes awkward explanations and introductions in the later movies. I think the director should always endeavor to stick as closely to the book as is possible.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I think that the director has the liberty to interpret it how he would like, but that dialogue and everything should stay pretty much the same. I don't like it when they stray from the book, yet visually it should be open to interpretation.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

I understand that somethings just are not possible for movies to portray and that they have to cut some parts out, but they should follow the book as closely as possible.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”