Keeping track of books read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Re: Keeping track of books read

Post by Reading lady »

I had a book where I listed all the books with the author's name as I read them. Always took it with me on buying trips so I wouldn't duplicate a book. It was a great help. Then when computers came along I put it all in a document there. That was harder because with every addition I would have to print it off to take with me. Such a waste of paper and ink. Now I have an app calked My Library that is great but I have to admit that I am not good at keeping it current. I must get back at it.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
DlVERGENT
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

I use goodreads, it's actually very helpful and more efficient than writing it on a piece of paper or typing it on Word because you can't really lose it and you can also keep track of the books you haven't read but want to read, and add other shelves like a shelf of your favorite books, the ones you own, etc.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
mwitt21w
Favorite Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne
Favorite Book: House of Seven Gables
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwitt21w.html
fav_author_id: 2704

Post by mwitt21w »

I wish over the years I had kept track of books. My list of books would be huge. Even when I was a young kid I would spend summers reading book after book.
Flu2reader
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flu2reader.html

Post by Flu2reader »

i keep a notebook that i write about every book that i read for that year. this past year i started posting reviews on goodread as well but i still like to write about them in my journal - i don't have to worry about anyone else reading so i can just go off my gut - when i publish a review i try to really think about all the angles of the book since it might stop someone from reading a given book but for me i can just say page 50 made me want to throw the book across the room and know that i still loved it :wink:
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

Ah, it would be really great if I could get a little reading journal made specifically to keep track of books. :mrgreen: Right now the only way I keep track is on facebook. But I didn't start this until recently, so I have completely lost track of all the books I had read some time ago.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I keep a notebook.
Started a few years ago.
Just title , author, and start date.
Basic but it works.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

A24 wrote:Over the weekend, I picked up a real cute little "Reader's Journal". It's only about 2 1/2" x 5" and you can keep track of books read, dates started and finished, my thoughts, fav characters, etc. There is even a section to write down "loaned to" with "date and returned dates". I thought this would be great personal way to keep track of my books. I have been on Goodreads and have done it as well but that isn't as personal. Although it is never too late to start, I just wish I had started one of these a long time ago. Just wondering if any of you keep track of your books read and if you do, how? Some of you I know read a few books a week! Btw, the journal is from journalsunlimited site. Not sure if I can put that or not.
I used to keep track of the books I read by saving the receipts from my trips to the library and highlighting or marking off the books I read. I eventually ran out of room in that box that I was keeping them in and although I still take trips to the library, most of the books I read are the ones I own that I get from garage sales. The reader's journal is a neat idea, though. I have never heard of anything like that. I may just get one. Thanks for the idea! :)
WD1993
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by WD1993 »

I actually also bought a small book where I can keep track of all the books I've been reading and rate them at the same time. I love doing it, because it reminds me off all the books I've already read.
Reading and writing, like everything else, improves with practice. - Margaret Atwood
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I maintain a " movie / book " diary...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I used to keep a journal, but now just use Goodreads to keep track.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
fitzyfool1
Favorite Author: robin hobb
Favorite Book: Tawny man trilogy
Currently Reading: Fools Assasin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzyfool1.html
fav_author_id: 8882

Post by fitzyfool1 »

I have a folder on my kindle were i list all the enjoyable books i have read or ones i would like to read in the series or more from the author.
i have another folder which i place the other books i read to ensure i don't buy them again.
its a very easy way to keep in touch with new releases from authors i enjoy.

-- 15 Sep 2014, 10:32 --
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Post by PluviophileReader »

I use to keep an excel spreadsheet to monitor all of the books that I've read but that was before I discovered Goodreads. I can't live without that site. It's fantastic! Way better than Facebook. I'm apart of a book club on there with people all over the world and I've read great books that I never would have found without the site. It's super easy to use too!
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I just started keeping track of books that I read! I have a little notebook that I write my own personal reviews in (that I will never share with people!) and the dates I read the book. Then I also started keeping up with it o Goodreads as well. I tried to do it when I was in high school, but I couldn't keep up with everything back then. I read a LOT.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Am I the only one that uses Facebook to keep track of everything I've read? All you have to do is search for the book you want to add and it'll be right there ... very easy! I've been thinking of developing a paper list, though. Something I can keep throughout the years and keep adding to. It might be an interesting read when I'm sixty and can't remember half of them!
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

My brother, who is also an avid reader, sent me a link years ago to Goodreads. I started keeping track of the books i'd read, and even backtracked and added those books that I could remember having already read. Unfortunately, I didn't keep up with Goodreads because eventually it began to be a constant burden instead of a cool database.

Since i'm now registered on Online Book Club, I might try to do something like this again, except this time either in hard copy or on an excel worksheet on my computer.

I often find myself looking at books i've already read, especially when i'm at a garage sale or book fair. It would definitely be handy to keep something in my purse for those moments when I want to know if i've already read something. A small notebook would be a great idea!
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”