Books that spill the tears

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
nutmeg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nutmeg »

Marley and Me.....pets are my weak point - specially as I have a lab which shows a lot of the same personality.
Couple of the other books mentioned have been close - but I'm not one for crying over books or movies.....
J'ai Vu Bleu

Post by J'ai Vu Bleu »

I cry at almost everything. Sad, happy, touching... you name it, and I'll probably cry.
A better question to ask me is not "which books make you cry?" But rather "what book have you read recently that HASN'T mae you cry?"

To answer the first question: Any Mitch Albom book, Lord of the Rings, any book that has a happy ending, any book where someone dies, any book where any character is sad, any book without a happy ending... the list goes ever on.

The second: "Him, Her, Him Again, The End of Him" by Patricia Marx. Because it was an absolutely terrible book which did not evoke any emotion from me whatsoever.
bakerjay

Post by bakerjay »

I find moments of triumph more emotional than the sad bits...

For instance, in 'Long Walk to Freedom' (Nelson Mandela) when he finally gets out of jail and is greeted by the huge crowds of cheering people...way, way more emotional for me than the hard times he goes through.
pOoF bAbY

Post by pOoF bAbY »

awelker wrote:
Hamlet wrote:
Syrcco44 wrote: I once heard that tears are words that the heart can't say. Quite true, really.
very true i would think, very nice thought.
i like that quote or rather expression. i think that it is true is so many ways. i mean look at when you cry, and most of the time when i do, there aren't words to express how i feel so tears are just the best thing. i haven't cried really hard in like a year and half. but i tear up a lot.
i agree awelker....i love that quote to.... :)
Don't like TOUGH!!
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

I believe that...my tears certainly say alot. :(
SeoulChild

Post by SeoulChild »

I definitely teared up in Flowers for Algernon...I usually don't get very emotional but this book completely broke through all vicarious barriers in my head lol.
Nikolas Costello

Post by Nikolas Costello »

I never cry when I read books.
But then I read Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks.
That really started the tears.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

Star wrote:I believe that...my tears certainly say alot. :(
Aww... don't feel all bad about it Star - crying is good for the heart. And there is something interestingly compelling about crying - it's an expression of emotion that is quite unique. After all how many other emotions result in the eye shedding water?
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Salty water at that!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

in an oyster

Post by in an oyster »

I second the Mitch Albom books... I don't think I've ever been able to stay dry-faced through any of his novels.

Another book that made me cry was My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I think Picoult has an incredibly strong and sensitive sense of familial love and human relationships, which brings a ready-to-cry-at-any-moment girl like me to tears :roll: :D
sportsguy33

Post by sportsguy33 »

Mitch Albom's "For One More Day" almost got me.

He's just another one of them guys representing sportswriters, straight up.
perksofbeingme

Post by perksofbeingme »

awelker wrote:Time Traveler's Wife for me. That is the last book that i can remember bringing me to tears.
I cried so hard at the end of this book :-( I really enjoyed it also, its a shame she doesn't have anything else out....

In all honesty, a lot of books bring tears for me. I'm not really that emotional of a person but sometimes as corny as it sounds, I really do get that involved in the story.
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Post by RILENTLISS »

To this day I have not read a book that has made me cry, and doubt I ever will. LOL
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I have extreme emotions when it comes to books, though full-out crying… I usually don’t do. I cried when I read “The Fault in our Stars” by John Green and “Thirteen Reasons Why” by Jay Asher. My eyes also watered up when I read The Mortal Instruments series, The Infernal Devices and such, but never actually CRIED, just watery eyes.
My weekend is all booked!
bretay
Currently Reading: In It Together

Post by bretay »

Oh I love sad books..It's really funny because I can cry over anything in a book.Everyone watches me and starts laughing.I will either cry,laugh or have all different facial expressions going on.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”