Books on Dystopian Societies

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Terebithia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books on Dystopian Societies

Post by Terebithia »

Or apocalyptic novels as well.

Anyway, new here. Just realized that a majority of my interest as far as thought provoking novels revolve around Dystopian or Utopian societies and rebellion or apocalyptic in nature. Ever since I was like...12 when I read The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Turnabout.

So recently with the upcoming film adaptation of The Hunger Games, this got me to think how many others out there love the same topic? What books haven't I heard of out there with this same topic that I've come to (oddly) love. So lol the question is, Who else out there loves Dystopian/Utopian/Apocalyptic-like Novels? What are your recommendations (Adult and Young Adult Alike)? What was your favorite book and why?
Let me stop before this turns into a novel itself :lol:
AlysonofBathe

Post by AlysonofBathe »

Great question! I adore dystopian literature myself, it has a great ability to explore current issues in a very hyperbolic way.

So let's see, some recommendations.

First off, I'd suggest some classics, Orwell's 1984, Huxley's Brave New World, and Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. I've also really enjoyed much of Atwood's work, specifically The Handmaid's Tale, Oryx and Crake, and The Year of the Flood. If you haven't read Burgess' A Clockwork Orange, that's certainly dystopian as well.

Happy reading,
Alyson
Terebithia

Post by Terebithia »

Fantastic! I'm actually in the middle of Fahrenheit 451( I remember, ironically, watching the movie as a little girl and am just now getting around to reading the book). I have copies of both 1984 and Brave New World but (For some reason if you put the word "Classic" in front of any sort of literature to me my eyes glaze over LOL It's horrible I know and I will definitely have to override that), I loved the Handmaids Tale I'll have to check out the others as well. Thank you so much for your recommendations!

There's a Young Adult book I'm currently reading (During...work 0_o lol) "Unwind" by Neal Shusterman, so far incredibly good! Even though it's Young Adult, the story line is amazing! I urge you to check it out!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Terebithia wrote:Or apocalyptic novels as well.

Anyway, new here. Just realized that a majority of my interest as far as thought provoking novels revolve around Dystopian or Utopian societies and rebellion or apocalyptic in nature. Ever since I was like...12 when I read The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Turnabout.

So recently with the upcoming film adaptation of The Hunger Games, this got me to think how many others out there love the same topic? What books haven't I heard of out there with this same topic that I've come to (oddly) love. So lol the question is, Who else out there loves Dystopian/Utopian/Apocalyptic-like Novels? What are your recommendations (Adult and Young Adult Alike)? What was your favorite book and why?
Let me stop before this turns into a novel itself :lol:
Hi there Terebithia. I can heartily recommend "Flashback" by Dan Simmons. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
jessnight

Post by jessnight »

I love Pure by Julianna Baggott (set to be a trilogy) and have just finished Life as we Knew it by Susan Pfeffer (another trilogy).
shyluh_anne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shyluh-anne.html

Post by shyluh_anne »

I would definitely recommend Divergent by Veronica Roth I do believe. There is also a sequel called Insurgent. I'm not sure if there are more coming but they are really good books.

-- 22 Dec 2012, 22:31 --

also- the maze runner books! A little juvenile but great all the same.
Zepher07
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Alices Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Hound of the Baskervilles
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Zepher07 »

Shade's Children by Garth Nix is a good one.

Also, I'm currently reading the second book in a trilogy by Ally Condie. The titles are Matched, Crossed, and Reached. They have a Brave New World vibe but they are young adult novels. I actually prefer these over The Hunger Games but I like them both.
sarah_long

Post by sarah_long »

As previously recommended, I can attest to Divergent by Veronica Roth and Matched by Ally Condie as excellent dystopian/utopian themed novels. They fall under the young adult category so I do not know if that is a deterrent, but as a 22 year old I can honestly say they are well written books with great stories. They are both about futuristic societies that are seemingly utopias but there is an undercurrent of unease. Both are have a female protagonist with strong supporting characters. I personally love them both and have already reread them (though the last book in the Divergent trilogy is not yet published). I must also say that Divergent is ranked in my personal top five favorite series, and as fellow book lovers I'm sure you all know what an achievement that is.
I hope this helps! (Though I do now notice this was posted quite some time ago...)
marissa_in
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-in.html

Post by marissa_in »

Hunger games
DeadPiccolo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deadpiccolo.html

Post by DeadPiccolo »

Definitely Divergent! I am crazy about that book at the moment because the new book comes out in a week!
jmalone1994
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: Ink Exchange
Currently Reading: The Blood of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmalone1994.html
Latest Review: "The Weatherman" by Tyreese Walton
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by jmalone1994 »

Hunger Games
Divergent Series
(In case you hadn't already figured out the Hunger Games and Divergent series are amazing lol :) )
Delirium Series
Matched Series (I don't recommend this one)
Eve (it was ok)
Latest Review: "The Weatherman" by Tyreese Walton
nouveau-nerd

Post by nouveau-nerd »

I thought that there wasn't a dystopian novel that could ever top Divergent until I read the 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. It is amazing! I believe the second book comes out this fall.
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

I love Dystopian. Here are a few that I read recently that I loved: Hunger Games, Divergent, The Giver, Unwind and Red Rising. I am currently reading "The Maze Runner" and it is amazing.
Doodahday6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodahday6.html

Post by Doodahday6 »

I like Lois Lowery. I think her books are appealing to young adults and adults. I read Brave New World in high school, but that was many years ago :). That may be one that I need to reread. The Hunger Games series is a page turner. The books are better than the movies, in my opinion.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”