Hint Fiction

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Hint Fiction

Post by DATo »

Hint Fiction is a story told (traditionally) in 25 words or less. It is to prose sort of like what haiku is to poetry. At best one must attempt to concisely put forth an entire "story" (idea) in one or two sentences.

EXAMPLE : With a smile he calmly closed his eyes. "And now, it is concluded!" Gently abandoning the world he loved; anticipating the one to come.

It's fun, it is also very challenging and guaranteed to make you a better writer ... try it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
AlysonofBathe

Post by AlysonofBathe »

Back in my truly terrible, teenagery fanfiction days, we called these drabbles.

Cheers,
Alyson
dindindin

Post by dindindin »

Here goes nothing. I want to dedicate my first novel to one of Missouri's finest sons: HST
"He was almost glad they'd turned him down. Duplicitous little bastards were about to learn
a very painful lesson. Just wish Franklin was here to see it."
DATo

Post by DATo »

dindindin wrote:Here goes nothing. I want to dedicate my first novel to one of Missouri's finest sons: HST
"He was almost glad they'd turned him down. Duplicitous little bastards were about to learn
a very painful lesson. Just wish Franklin was here to see it."
Nice. Harry would be proud !
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
dindindin

Post by dindindin »

You GD right, MO!

-- 21 Mar 2012, 22:00 --

"My wife and I agreed. Even if he had noticed, he probably wouldn't know the difference "survived by" and "suffered by."
Regardless, markers down!!!!"

-- 26 Mar 2012, 21:55 --

They found the body in a PortaPotty. His throat was slit and a leather
glove protruded from his mouth. The "suicide note" read: "If it doesnt fit, you've got to acquit."
DATo

Post by DATo »

I am angry. They have stolen so much from my mother, The Sea. Now I, Tsunami, shall reclaim all they have stolen ... and more.
― Steven Wright
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

She cried when she scored a 790 out of 800 on the Logic and Reasoning section of the Graduate Record Exam. Logic versus emotions? Shrug.
madellon
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by madellon »

not as good as the others i have read here, but here goes my story:

she was looking out of the window, longing for the love that she had lost. she sighed and went back to bed, where her husband's soundly sleeping.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

He glanced back, out the small round window. Earth would soon be just another indistinguishable dot in the vast expanse. He looked ahead, alone, hopeful.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
DATo

Post by DATo »

The most famous one (which you've probably already heard) is from Hemingway .....

"For sale: Baby shoes. Never worn."
― Steven Wright
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Five days becomes four. Four too many. Birthdays switched. Not my birthday but I am borne anew on my sister's special day. (She gets mine.)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”