Is reading still a geeky habit?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mbeasley
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbeasley.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Is reading still a geeky habit?

Post by mbeasley »

I honestly think that reading is starting to gain a bit of a cool factor. I wouldn't consider myself a nerd at all and find it incredibly sexy when men enjoy reading. It shows that they have some substance to them.
alanatucker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alanatucker.html

Post by alanatucker »

I would say that there is still a stigma for those who love to read, but really what is wrong with stimulating your mind and brightening your horizons. In my opinion there's absolutely nothing wrong with reading, and for those who think there is, well maybe they should pick up a book and stop being so narrow minded. With that being said if others label you as a geek for doing what you love, then embrace it and rock it! Who cares what they think, be yourself and remeber there are lots of people who share your passion.
Amberle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberle.html

Post by Amberle »

Ant wrote:I think it's interesting to note that in our replies so far, wether geeky or not, we are unanimous in a: in the fact that we may be geeks and b: we are not bothered about it or what others think about it.
I think that we could be a unique breed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've found out through personal experience -- and I hope it holds true for others, too -- that us of the geeky-sort are a lot tougher than you might expect. Maybe it's a sort of Boy-named-sue complex, and we have to be. :lol:
Most of the geeks in my life hit that "I-don't-care-what-you-think" point a lot sooner than other folks I know.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Amberle wrote:
Ant wrote:I think it's interesting to note that in our replies so far, wether geeky or not, we are unanimous in a: in the fact that we may be geeks and b: we are not bothered about it or what others think about it.
I think that we could be a unique breed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've found out through personal experience -- and I hope it holds true for others, too -- that us of the geeky-sort are a lot tougher than you might expect. Maybe it's a sort of Boy-named-sue complex, and we have to be. :lol:
Most of the geeks in my life hit that "I-don't-care-what-you-think" point a lot sooner than other folks I know.
Oh yea, we're as tough as old boots us readers & we always have a weapon to hand - one with a good sharp edge! :wink:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Caz1+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Post by Caz1+ »

I generally don't start conversations about books as it can be seen as boring and my friends are more the go and get drunk type rather than sit down with a good book. If we do discuss books I find I keep on the safe path and talk crime, horror or biography. If you tell people that you like romance or fantasy they find this funny but hey I like what I like
XxMonsterLoverxX
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xxmonsterloverxx.html

Post by XxMonsterLoverxX »

I don't think it is, I mean I'm totally a geek by most peoples standards, (read a ton, play D&D, totally into all those adventure games and stuff,) but I think that anyone can read if they like it, and if they want to. I wouldn't judge anyone for reading, as long as they're reading it's fine by me :P
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

I don't believe so, i'm certainly not a geek but love reading.
M-Allmon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-allmon.html

Post by M-Allmon »

While I do think reading has become more popular, I think it'll will always be looked at as geeky or nerdy. And that doesn't bother me one bit! If someone wanted to label me a geek because I love to read then so be it! They will probably never go to all the places I've been in books!
K-katastrophe3
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: Remembrance by Jude Deveraux
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-katastrophe3.html
Latest Review: "Spellhollow Wood" by Joseph Scotti
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by K-katastrophe3 »

From most reactions that I get from friends and classmates, it seems to a great deal of them that it is a geeky habit. I cant say my coworkers say the same, since I work in a library; However, most of the time if a friend asks me what I did all weekend or all Saturday night and I say "Oh I read this great book." They seem to feel that I have completely wasted my weekend. I don't think so and really I dont mind that they don't like reading like I do. I love to read and I would rather spend nights relaxing, reading a good book, and enjoying myself rather than partying and getting drunk.
If that makes me a geek then I am proud of it. :D
“Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.” -Acheron in Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Latest Review: "Spellhollow Wood" by Joseph Scotti
SalenaParker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salenaparker.html

Post by SalenaParker »

Ever since I was a kid, I loved books. Reading grows on you. The more books or literature you read, the more knowledge you gain. That being said, it depends on what each person defines as "geeky". If someone places the word "geeky" synonymous with "bookworm", "uncool", "teacher's pet", and so on, then there will obviously be a negative connotation to the act of reading. However, if an individual places the word "geeky" synonymous with something or a feeling that they enjoy, then the act of reading will have a positive connotation to it. I personally believe it depends on the person you ask the question to. In my opinion, I don't think reading is a geeky habit. It helps you emotionally, and mentally as well. :D
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

No i never assumed it was in the first place, as i'm a avid reader and am not a geek lol
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

It's interesting that so many of you say that people around you, growing up or in the workplace, consider reading geeky. I never even thought of reading as potentially geeky until I saw this discussion. I guess that means the people around me either don't think of it that way, or are all geeks. I may or may not be a geek. I really don't care one way or the other. You are who you are, and if people think what you do for fun is geeky, then they can do their thing and you can do yours. Personally, I'll always be happy hanging out with the geeky readers.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
standi69
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Mislaid
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standi69.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by standi69 »

I think it is but we are all more forward than we use to be about it. I take whatever book I am reading with me to places I know I am going to sitting for awhile and I am so surprised at the amount of people who bring books to places now and how many open up a conversation about the book I am reading.
SoftCoyote
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: Hawksong
Currently Reading: Through the Looking Glass
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-softcoyote.html
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by SoftCoyote »

I don't think it's geeky at all. Then again, I'm surrounded by people who read or at least have an interest in reading. So, it could just be me. Even the people at my work place, if they don't read they at least listen to me rave about the newest book I'm reading or have read. I'm not hesitant at all to talk about books though. Everyone knows books are just a part of who I am.
Kwelch0212

Post by Kwelch0212 »

I think with the new onslaught of kindles and other e-readers, reading is becoming more of a "cool" thing to do. I work in a bank with women aging from 23 to 63 and most of us read. Some days there are even conversations in the kitchen about how many books each of us have read so far this year, almost as a competition. A few even keep a spreadsheet to beat their book count from the previous year. It is certainly more common though for the older women to read more rather than those of us who are younger. I am 24 and read everyday, if I could I would stay home and read a book or two everyday.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”