What "Classic" disappointed you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Re: What "Classic" disappointed you?

Post by Fran »

shaphat wrote:I hated Moby Dick and Don Quijote, if I hadn't been required to read them for school I wouldn't have touched them at all.
I'm listening to Don Quijote on my headphones when I go walking .... in English :oops:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
astoria1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by astoria1 »

I actually didn't mind Moby Dick - I enjoy his writing style and turns of phrase - although I must admit to skimming some of the detailed whaling chapters that were not advancing the plot.

I tried to start Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man recently as someone recommended it as 'accessible' Joyce. I only lasted 1 chapter. Some writers just sound more dated over time - usually because of era-specific vernacular. Great Gatsby comes to mind in that regard.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I cant think of any classic that really disappointed me, except Ben-Hur. Terrible book. It would make good bum-fodder.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
sin

Post by sin »

SURY wrote: "Magic Mountain" Actually it is not a novel at all - in my humble opinion.The author has just used the book as a compendium of his personal knowledge, nothing more. And, excuse me - the "hero" there has no business to exist!!
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- 06 May 2012, 08:42 --
ldsrsc wrote: And lastly, I don't understand the hype for Lolita. It's about a pedophile. Why is this book considered a love story and great literature?
They obviously haven't read any of the great Japanese writers like Kawabata and Tanizaki....If they think Lolita is scandalous, try any of Tanizaki's books (except for The Makioka Sisters....in particular, try 'The Key')

I didn't like Lolita either...

-- 06 May 2012, 08:44 --
StephenKingman wrote:^ Hmm, im going to have to read Catcher in the Rye this year at some point just to see what the fuss is about.
Trust me and the rest of us here...life is too short to be wasted on that book...
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

Lord of the Flies, I think it is a classic, however, I found it slightly creepy and disturbing.
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
Jenniferpotucek
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferpotucek.html

Post by Jenniferpotucek »

A classic that disappointed me was The Great Gatsby. I know a lot of people would disagree, but honestly I did not enjoy that book. I believe this is mostly because I didn't like any of the characters in the book, which made it substantially harder to really get into.
ldsrsc

Post by ldsrsc »

I can understand that, Jennifer. I read it because we had to for school and while I did enjoy it, I thought the characters were pretty despicable people, too. I think I only enjoyed it because I like the 1920's.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

In the following order of disgust ....

1) Franny and Zooey - Consign it to the flames !!! A pox upon it!!! I cannot voice the epithets too fiercely! ZOUNDS, methinks I protest not enough. This book is currently serving as emergency toilet tissue in the guest bathroom (or "loo" to you Brits and Aussies).

2) Jonathan Livingston Seagull - This book is for the birds. And yes, much like a spear through the brain I got the point of the book.

3) Catcher In The Rye - The most interesting thing about this book for me was the sudden realization that the title character wears his hat on backwards as does an American baseball player who serves on the field in the position designated as "catcher". Though this wasn't worth the price of the book it was still a charming 'something' ... UNLIKE FRANNY & ZOOEY which left me with NOTHING !!!!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

Vanity Fair by William Thackeray. I feel bad but I did not like that story.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

DATo wrote:In the following order of disgust ....

1) Franny and Zooey - Consign it to the flames !!! A pox upon it!!! I cannot voice the epithets too fiercely! ZOUNDS, methinks I protest not enough. This book is currently serving as emergency toilet tissue in the guest bathroom (or "loo" to you Brits and Aussies).

2) Jonathan Livingston Seagull - This book is for the birds. And yes, much like a spear through the brain I got the point of the book.

3) Catcher In The Rye - The most interesting thing about this book for me was the sudden realization that the title character wears his hat on backwards as does an American baseball player who serves on the field in the position designated as "catcher". Though this wasn't worth the price of the book it was still a charming 'something' ... UNLIKE FRANNY & ZOOEY which left me with NOTHING !!!!
Interesting, Jonathan Livingston Seagull is one of my favourite books... Tastes differ, I guess.
I don't like Jane Austen books, I got through Pride and Prejudice, but I just can't read anything else. (yep, you can throw the stones)
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Alice in Wonderland. Oh. My. Gawd. I hate that book. It was nothing, but a trip and not a pleasant one. I didn't enjoy reading it at all. I expected too much of it; I thought there was going to be an interesting plot or something. I honestly want to like this book because I love the re-tellings so much. So, I will probably re-read it. However, it was just too random and that annoyed me.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I heard Moby Dick was terrible because of all the information about whale fishing or whatever. But if you took out the informative pieces, the story itself was tolerable. Never read it myself though.
I personally despise the book Wuthering Heights. I don't understand what anyone sees in it or why anyone would like the main guy. He was creepy to me. Arg!
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

The Metamorphosis. I didn't like or get it at all. Big waste of time.
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
mandap24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

Wuthering Heights really disappointed me. It didn't capture my attention and I found neither Heathcliff or Catherine likeable
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Kenn_Baker wrote:I think we need to jump the term "Classic' a hundred years or so forward, so that "Animal Farm", "1987", "Death Be not Proud", are the books that come to mind, and we can call "The 3 musketeers" and "Last of the mohicans" etc "Antiques instead.
I agree, those more modern books are classics too. The list of classic books keeps getting longer. If they made me read it in high school, it's a classic, right?

-- 20 Oct 2014, 22:13 --

To those who couldn't get thru Moby Dick ... apparently the book was partly inspired by a truly chilling incident that happened to a whaling ship called the Essex. I understand they are now making a movie about the Essex. Maybe you will like it better than you liked Moby Dick.

I started Moby Dick. I didn't hate it, but it does require a big commitment and I didn't finish it. Maybe some time when I have more time and mental bandwidth. Actually, the thing that surprised me the most about it was the cheery, cheeky tone.

For me, I was disappointed by the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. I guess they were so popular because they were among the first of the genre, but the genre has gotten so much better in the years since. I came to them thinking they would be super extra scary or something, and they weren't.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”