Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gabs_cool123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Gabs_cool123 »

It depends how much I like this person, if I really like him/her, then I might be able to date a person like that. Then again, I would probably one way or another find a way to force him/her to read
etherealxadj
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etherealxadj.html

Post by etherealxadj »

I've always thought it made someone so much more attractive if they read. A lot of people don't seem to do so now, it's just the simple fact they take time out of their day to open a book and actually relax and enjoy the words in front of them. I suppose I could date someone that didn't read, but I'd love to be with someone that did.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I posted once before I on this but I can't help but post again. Yes it is possible to date someone who doesn't read. I have said before my boyfriend doesn't like to read. However, we have made it work. For instance, today I could not put a book down. So while I did my hobby of reading, he was doing his hobby in the garage. He has even told me he loves it that I like to read. Especially when we go camping because it gives him an excuse to go on a bike ride in the mountains. So it can work.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Jacque33
Currently Reading: Intrusion
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacque33.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jacque33 »

I'm married to someone who doesn't read much! He'll read magazines and reviews of products, how-to stuff online, but we've been married eight years and I think I've seen him read two books total. He loves to learn new things in his spare time, things that have to do what he is currently working on or places he wants to go, etc. Sometimes I'll tell him about the books I'm reading or working on and he listens patiently. There are so many social media sites out there if it's important to discuss books. Since we mesh in other ways, I never really thought of it until reading this forum.
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
sandra tomko
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-tomko.html

Post by sandra tomko »

My husband and I have been together for almost 17 years. He doesn't read anything but T.V. Guide. On the other hand, I read anything I can get my hands on. We always have something to talk about, though. He tells me about the latest television shows and I always tell him about the latest article or book I have read. Keeps life interesting.
AndreaK

Post by AndreaK »

I could. I'm married now to someone I didn't know loved to read as much as me and turns out he does. So yay happy me :) He understands my obsession which I am grateful for.
SarahNewtown
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahnewtown.html

Post by SarahNewtown »

Wow, I have honestly never thought about this. It surprises me that some people can only date people who read. My husband chooses to only occasionally read and we are still able to engage in quite stimulating conversation. To each their own.
Chris Manning
Currently Reading: Neuromancer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-manning.html
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
Reading Device: B01EVOWRCY

Post by Chris Manning »

Sure, why not? My wife is not a big reader, and that's never been a problem for us. Fortunately, we have other things to talk about that help us relate to one another. Now, granted, I am always pushing books I like on her, which she always intends to read. But, some people just don't have the time or patience for reading. For the same reasons I hate sports. To each his own.
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
AishaTBN
Currently Reading: The Thousand Nights And One Night
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishatbn.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by AishaTBN »

I have mutual feelings. But for me it will still be okay if someone doesn't read but still respects my love for reading new books. I mean it will be a nightmare if he wouldn't understand my addiction to constantly reading a new book, that sad feeling when I finish reading a novel and spending hours in a bookshop just surfing through the books.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
single4life51

Post by single4life51 »

Absolutely not !! I love reading and my partner must too.
Abdessalem KCHIRED

Post by Abdessalem KCHIRED »

Yes and I ll make him love books may be he will love them more than me
hwong
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hwong.html
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson

Post by hwong »

I don't think it should matter as long as he doesn't ridicule or bug me about my reading habits. It's hard to fault someone for not reading when I probably don't do some of the stuff he likes to do. I would definitely date someone who wasn't a reader.
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson
stephlissa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephlissa.html

Post by stephlissa »

I'm married to an avid non-reader.

When I finish a really good book that leaves me incredibly destroyed (these are the endings I go for, apparently), I often wish I had someone to talk to. He'll listen but I have to summarize the plot for him, explain the characters, and I know I'm not doing the novel any justice when I do that, and that the experience is lost on him... So it's not the same as gushing with someone who knows what it's like to be so invested and then have your heart ripped to shreds.

But I married him. Just so happens books isn't what we have in common, but there are a lot of other things. :tiphat:
wagthefox
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by wagthefox »

There's a lot of things I can deal with, but if I find out the person I'm dating doesn't read--like at all--then there's just no way the relationship can go anywhere. Heck, a casual friendship might be a stretch.
yayramabel
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Storm
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yayramabel.html
Latest Review: "The Sound of Acquiescence" by Candace Michelle

Post by yayramabel »

I would, yes. As long as we have other things in common and, he understands and respects the fact that I do love to read, I wouldn't reject someone because he doesn't read.
Latest Review: "The Sound of Acquiescence" by Candace Michelle

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”