Official Review: Righteous Bloodshed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Righteous Bloodshed

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Righteous Bloodshed" by Timothy A. Van Sickel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A quick note before starting the review: While the summary of the book stated that I would be reading the first book in the series, Righteous Gathering, the copy that I received was book 2, Righteous Bloodshed. Thus, the following review is for the book I actually received Righteous Bloodshed.

An EMP has struck the United States. Cars won't run. Cell phones don't work. There is no electricity, and planes are dropping out of the sky. Fortunately, Mark Mays has expected something like this to happen. He is ready, but the rest of the world is not. Chaos abounds; food quickly runs out, and people are hungry. Hungry masses make their way from the city to attack farms in the country, butchering cows and pigs along the way for food. Mark Mays works with locals in his town to form a plan to help the hungry mobs, but will it be enough? Will they listen to reason? Will their survival instinct overrun common sense? How will the world cope with no hope of help to come?

Righteous Bloodshed by Timothy A. Van Sickel is a science fiction/Christian fiction novel of about 300 pages. It is book 2 in the Righteous Survival EMP Saga. Mr. Van Sickel's desire in writing this book is to present how a Christian might possibly survive in a post-apocalyptic world.

When reading a book in a series, I'm always worried that I'll jump into the middle of the story and be lost. As this is book two, having not read book one, I was leery; however, I tried to have an open mind. While there were scenes in which I could tell the story had been revealed in an earlier novel, the book was written in such a way as to still be enjoyable. I really didn't feel like I had missed out on anything by not reading the books in order. At the same time, after reading this one, it made me want to go back and read the first one. That's exactly the way it should be, in my mind.

The characters are realistic and thought-provoking. I'm not sure any of us know what we would do in this kind of situation. How would I react? The author includes a variety of characters that react in many different ways. They face moral dilemmas that are heart-breaking.

Being a book in the post-apocalyptic genre, it's pretty fast paced. The action is steady throughout which makes the reader want to continue the book. There is never a dull moment; so, if you decide to read the book, be prepared to stay up late so as to reach the end.

The book is told from a combination of view points. It's mostly told in the third voice, except when the action involves Mark Mays. In the sections focusing on Mark, he tells the story from the first person. This was somewhat unique, as most writers stick to only one point of view. However, I had no trouble following along, and I appreciated the uniqueness.

The one drawback of this book was the grammatical errors. While not overly abundant, they were enough to be distracting. Mostly there are word substitutions (where is consistently used for were) or missing words. Nevertheless, I still found the story fun and engaging.

Overall, I rate Righteous Bloodshed a 3 out of 4 stars due to the grammar issues throughout. A word of warning to potential readers: though this is a Christian fiction, a few (emphasis on few) sections are graphically violent. These really are few and far between, but I felt I should point it out. I would recommend this to all those who enjoy post-apocalyptic novels and are at least open to Christianity.

Righteous Bloodshed
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

While I'm a skeptic of all religions, I like that the author was able to bring 2 - usually - conflicting worlds together: Science and religion(Christianity) to tell what sounds like a captivating story. Even I'm tempted to read this one. Great review.
Last edited by ritah on 13 Sep 2017, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I've never read a Christian post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic novel, I'll be sure to pick this one.
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Glad the fact that this was the second book instead of the advertised first in the series didn't hinder your enjoyment too much. I think this is definitely a unique blend of genres, but doesn't seem like it's something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the insight!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ritah wrote:While I'm a skeptic of all religions, I like that the author was able to bring 2 - usually - conflicting worlds together: Science and religion(Christianity) to tell what sounds like a captivating story. Even I'm tempted to read this one. Great review.
There's definitely a strong Christian theme in this one, but I don't think it was offensive. Thanks for commenting!

-- 13 Sep 2017, 07:59 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:I've never read a Christian post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic novel, I'll be sure to pick this one.
Great review
I've read one before. Terri Blackstock has a apocalyptic Christian novel about an EMP. I found that they are both good. This author puts his own spin on things. It's an interesting situation to think about that's for sure.

-- 13 Sep 2017, 08:00 --
MarisaRose wrote:Glad the fact that this was the second book instead of the advertised first in the series didn't hinder your enjoyment too much. I think this is definitely a unique blend of genres, but doesn't seem like it's something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the insight!
Thanks Marisa. I know it's not for everyone. When I realized it was the second, I was a little worried. However, it all worked out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I have never read a book in which the point of view changes, which indeed makes this book unique. Must be interesting. I am intrigued by the whole post-apocalypse theme. Reminds me of The Walking Dead, which makes me question what would I do in a situation like that.

Thanks for the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am totally curious about this book.

Thanks for another engrossing review, Kandscreely!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks yolimari and Miriam! It was interesting to think about how I would react in this situation.
—Neil Gaiman
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I am interested in Christian fiction and books generally, so I think Righteous Bloodshed by Timothy A. Van Sickel will make it to my shelf. I equally think this review is thorough.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

"I've read one before. Terri Blackstock has a apocalyptic Christian novel about an EMP. I found that they are both good. This author puts his own spin on things. It's an interesting situation to think about that's for sure."
____
I'll see about this one too.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Geoffrey- you should. It's also very good.
—Neil Gaiman
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Great review I will surely add it to my collection.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Gifty Naa Akushia!
—Neil Gaiman
hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

A christian, his family and community respond to the chaotic events following an EMP attack on America.Interesting story to pass time with.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks hepto! It's definitely thought provoking!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”