Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 3, 2016, at 12:19 pm by lraczova_87.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Granny's Stories

by Margaret Henderson

The First Ten

Because Granny's Stories was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book without the program, as it isn't my preferable genre. The cover is nice and the blurb concise and to the point. The beginning was a bit confusing, till I realized that the author was talking about her first job. The book is well written, but I wasn't drawn in. I won't read the book as it isn't my cup of tea. The official review was very convincing, but it isn't a genre that appeals to me.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 10:04 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

I love the cover of this book with the old photograph. It made me want to know more about the story. The summary blurb appears to be edited well, although it's short and feels a little impersonal and generic. I usually like memoirs, but the writing in the sample pages is a bit flat and boring. Based on the sample, I am not sure I am interested enough to add this one to my reading list.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 10:46 am by bookowlie.

Sarah_Khan

The title of this book immediately makes me want to find out more. I thought the blurb was adequately written but it would have been nice for it to have a little more detail concerning the plot.
After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this novel is well-written and professionally edited. The reason the author wrote this book is very sweet and the plot itself is interesting. The only reason I am not buying this book today is because I have too much on my plate right now.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 10:57 am by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

Granny's Stories by Margaret Henderson today's choice for book of the day. Presents the stories that grandmother writes for her grandchildren to remember her by. I found the preview a pleasure to read. Story telling is an art that Margaret Henderson has perfected. At this time my reading schedule is currently overbooked. I would have bought the book based on the preview.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 1:15 pm by Vermont Reviews.

hsimone

The cover and title are adorable. I also enjoy the concept of this story. Though there aren't any customer reviews, the OBC one is very positive. Therefore, I would have sampled this read on my own.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like the author's writing style (for some odd reason, I hear the narrator telling me this story in a British accent even though the first story was set in France; either way, I love accents!). I found the beginning interesting, not too exciting, but interesting. At this point, I am curious to learn more (I clicked the next page of the sample and it was the end!). Therefore, I do plan on buying the book today and finishing it.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 3:05 pm by hsimone.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

jamesabr

If I hadn't sampled this book for this program, I would have likely overlooked it because nothing about the cover or blurb on OnlineBookClub Facebook page jumped out at me. However, when I read the sample, I couldn't help but be charmed by the book's simple language. The description of the Denise's chateau held my attention to the very end. The book felt as if I had been listening to a distant grandmother tell me about her childhood. I will definitely purchase and eventually read the book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 3:11 pm by jamesabr.

James Craft

This feels very old fashioned, though not in a way that makes it unappealing. The color scheme is very bland but it meshes with the black and white photo fairly well. That being said, it doesn't seem like the kind of novel I would want to read based on the cover. Looking inside, the stories are neat and compelling and I really enjoyed them quite a bit. This book is one that I would enjoy reading but I will have to pass on simply because there isn't enough space on my TBR list and I have too many books already. It isn't quite compelling enough to break through, but I think many people will enjoy it. The 4 out of 4 from OBC definitely makes me think it is worthwhile, so maybe I'll look back at it in the future.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 3:18 pm by James Craft.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up mostly because I don't really read non- fiction or memoirs. After reading the first ten pages, I definitely think this book would appeal to people who do like to read memoirs and other such fans of this genre. It seems the author has lived a rich, fulfilling life so those who are interested in reading her story would appreciate this more.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 3:52 pm by CrescentMoon.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book without this program. The genre, non-fiction, is not one that I usually enjoy. The cover and title also did not draw me in. The OBC review, however, did have me slightly intrigued. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be buying this book. I got into it at first, but started to lose interest during the sample. I enjoyed the use of language, but I wasn't into the non-fiction aspect. I could tell that it was a recount of memories. This is great for a lot of people, just not for me. I also wasn't a big fan of sentence structure. Some sentences were really lengthy. I didn't notice any actual errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 6:20 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Gravy

This is no doubt a very interesting book, about a very interesting woman, who has led a very interesting life.
This sort of book falls right in one of my comfort zones, so I likely would have given it a look. I enjoyed the sample, though the author tends to digress a bit, and I'm not sure where it was going. If I read ebooks, I would gladly give the current price. However, I could not justify the price for a physical copy, so I have say no, I won't be continuing with this.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 7:04 pm by Gravy.

Kdonegan91

Firstly, I loved the sample. It was well-written and contained the perfect amount of details. I can't wait to read more about Granny's life. The OBC review confirmed my decision to purchase this book. In addition, the first thing to catch my attention was the title. I love non-fiction books and the title implied that the book was non-fiction. The cover is unique as well.

First Ten review added on January 26, 2017, at 7:21 pm by Kdonegan91.

dhwanis

I read the first 10 pages, while the story line is great, it is not something that I personally enjoy. Although it seems like an interesting book, a mix of history and memoir, so I guess those who really enjoy this genre might find it interesting.

First Ten review added on January 27, 2017, at 1:41 am by dhwanis.

L_Therese

The cover of this book didn't especially appeal to me, but that didn't really make a difference to my decision today. I found that the description and OBC review painted a very appealing picture of the book, and, although the sample wasn't quite as wonderful as I'd hoped, it was still in line with my expectation. If I had the time, I would put it on my list, but I can't do that right now, so I feel like I have no choice but to pass.

First Ten review added on January 27, 2017, at 8:21 am by L_Therese.

Shelle

This book looked interesting and I was happy to have the opportunity to sample it. The opening story caught my attention, but the second one didn't make make sense or seem to tie in with the first one. I also didn't learn much about the main character. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on January 27, 2017, at 4:10 pm by Shelle.

Momlovesbooks

The OBC reviewer was impressed with this book. It seems like it would appeal to people who don't want to read just another autobiography of someone glorifying themselves. The author includes stories about interesting people and events in her life. I read a few pages and came away with that same impression. I normally don't read autobiographies, but this one seems like something I would enjoy.

First Ten review added on January 27, 2017, at 4:33 pm by Momlovesbooks.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I generally read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion has changed. I found it interesting to read about the house, people & culture being described. I found one minor editing error. However, overall, the book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. I think it will be interesting to read about the author's experiences & hence, I think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on January 27, 2017, at 8:00 pm by AA1495.

MarisaRose

I really like the idea behind this book. When I first read the blurb and the official OBC review I was immediately excited to sample this book. For the most part, I enjoyed sampling the beginning of the book. I felt the stories are well written and the book appears to be professionally edited. My favorite aspect of the sample is the narrative point of view. My only criticism is that I wish the stories were written in the present tense. Though I understand these are all stories of the past, I think the present tense would make for a more engaging narrative. I enjoyed the sample but due to time constraints and many other books on my to read list I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on January 27, 2017, at 11:22 pm by MarisaRose.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I definitely was looking forward to checking this book out. I love hearing stories from my elders. After sampling the first ten I was surprised to see that the book really isn't very complex, and is well written. I like that it doesn't include big extravagent events, and is an easy read. The OBC review didn't sway my opinion either way, but was helpful in providing an insight to the author's purpose. I will be finishing this book, as I already felt a connection with the author.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 1:54 am by Cjgarland89.

CataclysmicKnight

I'd originally assumed this was a biography of collected stories about one's grandmother, but as I began reading the first person voice threw me off. This is, instead, an autobiographical collection of stories by a grandmother to share her stories with her kids, which was even cooler to me. The book has over 40 short stories in less than 150 pages so each story must be quite short, and the sample included the first story and a tiny bit of the second. The first was a little dry at first but quickly became funny and entertaining! Due to how short it is and the improvement over the first story, I can see finishing it if it was free, but I'm not really sold on purchasing it.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 3:06 am by CataclysmicKnight.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would be reading this book because I am not into granny stories. I am not going to be reading this book because the plot is just not what I'm interested in. The details were good though. I did not see any review, and I don't think it has affected my decision.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 3:10 am by jungkookblog.

Total ~ 30%

This book earned a score of 30%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 30% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Granny's Stories in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Granny's Stories in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

lraczova_87

4-Star Shelf

Kdonegan91

Want To Read Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf

mindyg123

4-Star Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf