Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 2.8 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 3, 2016, at 8:45 am by kimmyschemy06.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Genna's Fight: Will She Be Able To Discover Her True Self & Get Her Son Back In Time

by Sheldon D. Newton

The First Ten

Because Genna's Fight was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book as it isn't my type of book. The book kicked off with the heroine being kicked out of her home, a strong start for sure. However, I found the language a bit stiff and didn't connect to it. I won't buy the book as it failed to grab me. Also, religuios- themed book aren't my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 10:33 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

jamesabr

This sample was exhilarating to read. There were few typos, but the dialogue felt stiff. More contractions (you’re instead of you are) would fix this, making it more realistic and smooth. I found the following typo: “‘What’s the matter lady,’ he asked?” There should be a comma between “matter” and “lady”. There also shouldn’t be a question mark in the sentence. The best part, for me, was when Reggie lifted Genna into his car after she fainted from exhaustion in the rain. This seemed like a tender moment. If I were not a part of First Ten, I would have sampled this book due to the OnlineBookClub review of it. I will buy and read the book.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 10:51 am by jamesabr.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

SandraTWP-BRW

The blurb was just alright, but I think it's hard with a story like this to avoid giving away too much. The reviews were so enthusiastic, they were very compelling. I like the colors used on the cover, but I wish the title was larger or more present.

The excerpt I read was very compelling reading. I really didn't expect to find the story as interesting as I did. I generally find romance stories too formulaic, and I'm not a fan of weak or helpless female characters. However, the story is well-told enough I had to stop myself intentionally in order to write this response after only ten pages. I would have continued reading left to my own.

The book really, very much, needs professional editing. There were over two dozen punctuation mistakes, misspellings, and misused words just in this small excerpt. This story is good; it warrants better attention to these structural issues.

I have downloaded my copy and intend to finish reading the book this weekend.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 11:04 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

Vermont Reviews

First I would like to report a correction for today's book of the day. Glenna's Fight by Sheldon D. Newton. Correct grasping for (breath) not breathe.
Normally I would havebought the book based on the preview. Right now I have too many books on my ccurrent reading list. I will not be downloading the book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 11:09 am by Vermont Reviews.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I found the cover of this novel interesting. The blurb was did a good job of introducing us to the plot.
The first ten pages seem to be adequately written and professionally edited, except one mistake. I found the plot a little too similar to other books and also a bit too harsh for my taste, therefore I do not intend to finish reading this novel.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 11:52 am by Sarah_Khan.

ashley_claire

If I saw this book in a store I would probably walk right by. Books about self-discovery and overcoming emotional scars aren't really my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of the writing style as it seems very stiff and formal and doesn't ring true to the way people actually speak to each other. There are errors in the first ten pages such as the use of "breathe" when it should be "breath" and "worst" when it should be "worse". I won't be reading the rest of this book because the plot doesn't sound like something I would enjoy and I didn't like the writing style.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 12:47 pm by ashley_claire.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read pure romance books. Having read the sample, I liked the author's writing style. The beginning of the book was strong and made me curious. I would have liked the pace of the plot to be a little slower. The book has a favorable onlinebookclub review. I did not come across any obvious editing errors in the sample. The sample made me curious and hence, I think I will buy the book.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 1:24 pm by AA1495.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this story up because it sounds like a really intense, emotional story. I get really disturbed when reading stories about domestic violence so I don't really think this is my cup of tea. After reading the first ten pages, I can tell the rest of the book would be a tear jerker. I think the writing really portrays the emotions of Genna very well and I think people who like intense stories would enjoy reading this. However, this isn't for me.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 2:06 pm by CrescentMoon.

Shelle

The blurb sounded interesting and I eagerly sampled this book. Unfortunately, editorial errors right from the beginning were a turn off. The awkward and improbably dialogue was also hard to read. I think I might like Genna if I read more, but I'm not sure I'm going to do that. This book did not look like it was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 4:19 pm by Shelle.

James Craft

The cover is very interesting and has a great color scheme between the green and black, and the words are easy to read. The book received a good review from OBC and the blurb is good, so all in all this seems like a fairly good book. Before reading the opening, my thought was that I might like this book, but after reading the opening I actually decided it wasn't really for me. It didn't hook me the same way I expected it to, and I won't be continuing.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 6:21 pm by James Craft.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. The blurb was mildly interesting. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I felt like the first scene was overdramatic and unrealistic, almost like the writer tried too hard to give the main character a tragic story. The book was also riddled with grammatical errors, such as question marks where commas should be and failure to enter/indent when the dialogue changes speakers. I read the official review, but it did not change my mind.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 6:48 pm by psychopathycathy.

Bfrisco

I might have looked at this book from the title and the cover. The blurb would not have drawn me in, and I would not have continued reading after some of the reviews. The onlinebookclub review confirmed for me that this book is religious in nature, which I personally tend to stay away from. I do not think this book was professionally edited. I noticed several instances where quotation marks were missing, and I noticed one where two people were speaking in the same paragraph. After reading the sample, I would not continue to read this book. Personally, the religious slant of the book disinterested me, and the over-the-top description of the main character's abuse was also difficult to read. I don't know if the author has personal experience in this arena or if he consulted anyone, but I found the nature of her abuse unrealistic. I also found her ex-husband very flat and one-dimensional. I would have been much more interested if she had experienced a realistic amount of abuse (for example, I would assume internal bleeding could be deadly and filing a false report with police could lead to jail time) and her ex-husband was a fleshed out character.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 7:08 pm by Bfrisco.

CataclysmicKnight

I always have trouble reading a book about someone being abused, especially physically or sexually. Luckily only the former seemed to happen in this one (and plenty of mental abuse of course), and it's summed up pretty quickly. However, the dialogue seems rather unnatural; I can't really imagine these conversations happening the way they're written. For a 200+ page book I'm really intrigued with where it'll go since it's moving so fast, but I won't be finishing it.

First Ten review added on March 10, 2017, at 11:04 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

L_Therese

I didn't think I'd end up reading this book. I respect the portrait of courage it portrays, but the review cautioned about errors in the writing. When I read the first ten pages, the writing style seemed extremely awkward, and I had difficulty empathizing with the character. It was a lot of telling and very little showing.

First Ten review added on March 11, 2017, at 1:42 am by L_Therese.

ananya92

This is an emotionally heavy story of how one woman copes with emotional and psychological abuse, to emerge victorious at the end. From the sample, it is clear that there is something more than just domestic abuse battering down Genna. I agree with the review, that the book could have been better edited, since the story deserved that. Though I liked the premise of the story, there is an unmistakable tilt towards spirituality and faith in god which will be explored in the coming chapters. Since, that is not something I'm looking forward to reading about, I think this novel is not my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on March 11, 2017, at 2:54 am by ananya92.

Gravy

I have to agree with the official reviewer; this is in need of a heavy edit. The errors were prevalent enough to distract (and detract) from the overall story.
I also wasn't a fan of the style. It read like a parable or sermon. The dialogue was too formal and unfeeling for what was happening, and it kept me from really connecting with the characters. I wouldn't have looked at this. It just isn't my taste. This doesn't always mean it won't interest me, but due to the aforementioned issues I couldn't get into it. I don't see myself reading this.

First Ten review added on March 11, 2017, at 6:54 am by Gravy.

Momlovesbooks

I read the OBC review and thought this would not be my kind of book, although it appears to be a touching subject. It's emotional and about issues that affect women today. While it's not for me, I'm sure many women will find it encouraging. I was sorry to hear about the grammatical issues. That really distracts me from getting into a book. I read the sample and agreed with my earlier conclusion. I won't be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on March 11, 2017, at 9:16 am by Momlovesbooks.

bookowlie

The cover artwork intrigued me, but I found the extra wording a little busy looking. Although the premise of the book is interesting, the summary is mainly one very long, rambling sentence. It made me think the writing in the story would be that way. In additon, there are two errors in the blurb - the words childhood and adulthood do not get hypenated. The sample is interesting, but, as with the summary, I didn't like the writing style. There are too many minor actions in every paragraph, which slowed the pace. I noticed at least one error, on the very first page - there are no quotation mark around the paragraph where Tom is speaking.

First Ten review added on March 11, 2017, at 11:27 am by bookowlie.

MarisaRose

When I first read about "Genna's Fight" I was intruigued by the premise. I also like that the book's main character is a strong female. I was also attracted to the cover art. After sampling the first ten pages, I have a few reservations about the book. There were many errors in the first few pages that made the book hard to read. If the author put the novel through a thorough edit I would consider giving this one another try. I was warned by the OBC review of the errors but I thought it would still be worth a read. I will not be continuing to read this one.

First Ten review added on March 11, 2017, at 11:46 am by MarisaRose.

Kdonegan91

At first glance, I was interested in this book. The cover is eye-catching and the title is unique. After reading the sample, I have decided to buy this book. The sample really pulled me in. I am anxious to find out what happens to Reggie and Genna!

First Ten review added on March 11, 2017, at 7:11 pm by Kdonegan91.

ZenaLei7

The sample was pretty interesting but it was not intriguing enough for me to read it. I won't read the whole book since the sample wasn't interesting enough. I did not notice any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on March 11, 2017, at 7:43 pm by ZenaLei7.

Cjgarland89

I wouldn't have sampled this book without the program. The title and cover aren't appealing to me, and I didn't see if there was an OBC review to check out. The sample was ok, but several grammatical and spelling errors. The writing almost seemed a little forced, and I was unable to really connect with the story. I won't be finishing this one.

First Ten review added on March 12, 2017, at 12:10 am by Cjgarland89.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because it's about how this girl has to survive with her negative thoughts about her life. I will be reading this book because the first ten pages has caught my attention by giving me ideas that I can relate to. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 12, 2017, at 1:51 am by jungkookblog.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would have sampled this book without this program based on the OBC review. I sometimes enjoy books from the other fiction genre if it's the right content. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be buying this book. The style was a little dry for me, especially the dialogue. I also noticed errors as soon as I started reading it. There were missing quotations, and the word abused was used instead of abuse. This made me lose my interest right away.

First Ten review added on March 12, 2017, at 5:28 am by anneloretrujillo.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would not have chosen to read/sample this book because I don't usually read the romance genre. Plus, Christian themes were mentioned and that's not for me.

I will not buy the book because of what I said previously. Also, the price is above my eBook spending limit. I do admit wanting to find out what happens to Genna. Who wouldn't?

There are some issues with the editing. I found either a typo or misspelled word at location 126. Abused should be abuse. At location 147, "I could not stand to be around you woman" should have a comma after you because he is addressing her.

I have to admit to being drawn in to Genna's story. How awful to be treated that way, and I know it happens more than not in the real world. However, I found Tom's dialogue very stiff, almost like he was reading cue cards rather than actually talking (yelling, berating) to a person.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 12, 2017, at 7:21 am by truebookaddict.

hsimone

The title is interesting, but the cover is unappealing to me. Though the blurb is a bit intriguing, there are not many ratings. The OBC review is mostly positive, but does inform readers of the amount of errors involved. For me, I get easily frustrated in a book if there are too many errors. Therefore, I would not have sampled this read without this program. Based on what I read, this book could use another round of editing. Right from the beginning, there are quotation marks missing in the dialogue and verb tenses do not agree. I feel the dialogue is a bit forced and unrealistic. This may be because, as the reader, I do not know much about the characters and they are already getting a divorce. In general, even though it seems like Genna becomes stronger, I do not see myself enjoying this book due to the forced dialogue and errors, and will not be purchasing the book today.

First Ten review added on March 12, 2017, at 7:54 am by hsimone.

Total ~ 19%

This book earned a score of 19%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 19% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Genna's Fight in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Genna's Fight in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

kimmyschemy06

3-Star Shelf

Pinkrose353

2-Star Shelf

ReadingJoy53

Want To Read Shelf

mindyg123

Want To Read Shelf

Pilar Guerrero

Want To Read Shelf

BrittanyWillows

Want To Read Shelf